Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-29-2013, 03:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Overan with weeds what to do?

Purchased a house last june, 1.31 acres, the back yard probably 25,000 sq is completey overan with every weed under the sun. I put down some fert with pre-m but didn't seem to do anything. I need straight up weed killer. I know one or even 4 apps won't get rid of them all but I need to start somewhere. I'm also going to core aerate this weekend to help, my ground is hard clay.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Try 2-4-D weedkiller
Old 04-29-2013, 04:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbllindsey View Post
Try 2-4-D weedkiller
How to apply though? my yard is a little large for a back pack sprayer, the front yard I can manage with a hose or even back pack sprayer which I plan on getting but the back is simply to large to tackle like that.

Any granulars work well? maybe a weed and feed that's effective.

I'm sick about it, broad leafs of every kind, dandelions, clovers, creeping charlies it looks like a field not a lawn its so bad.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Forbin View Post
I put down some fert with pre-m but didn't seem to do anything. <...> I'm also going to core aerate this weekend to help
You just put down pre-emergent and now you are going to core aerate? I think you have the order backwards here. With the pre-emergent in already you should just wait until fall to aerate.

Wrooster
Old 04-29-2013, 04:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
How to apply though? my yard is a little large for a back pack sprayer, the front yard I can manage with a hose or even back pack sprayer which I plan on getting but the back is simply to large to tackle like that.
Have an ATV? Get a FIMCO pull-behind sprayer, perhaps 25 gallons capacity or so. You can go see them at TSC or online at Agri-Supply. You will need to figure out whether you can use a boom applicator, or a hand (wand) applicator. You may need both.

Quote:
Any granulars work well? maybe a weed and feed that's effective.
Liquid application of post-emergent works a zillion times (approximately) better than granular.

Quote:
I'm sick about it, broad leafs of every kind, dandelions, clovers, creeping charlies it looks like a field not a lawn its so bad.
You can probably save money and end up with a better lawn by spending this summer mowing your weeds, and then in the fall simply doing a complete renovation. Aerate, apply glysophate, apply glysophate again 2 weeks later to the hardy stuff, amend complete area with topsoil and peat, broadcast quality seed, roll and cover, keep moist, and wait.

Wrooster
Old 04-29-2013, 04:27 PM
LawnSite Member

I should have mentioned, I only put down the pre-m in the back yard. The front yard is much smaller and more manageable for whatever treatments I want to apply.

I am doing a core aeration and overseeding front/sides. I haven't put anything down here just have been waiting for the right weather, it's been too wet to aerate while the weekends roll around, I think I may get lucky and be able to do both this weekend.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:36 PM
LawnSite Member

What you outlined is what I pretty much plan on doing in the front yard. The back yard I just want to get under control if it takes me two years to get most of the weeds gone I'll be happy. The front yard I want to look stellar since that is what everyone sees it's not in too bad of shape only half of it sucks . Everyone in the neighborhood has really nice lawns and mine is awful I need to get with it.

The people I purchased the house from just let it go since they had another house, really sucked for me, I'm actually re-doing all the landscaping around the entire property. I've collected no less than 400 rocks by hand probably 25 wheel barrows full and countless others filled with stuff I tore out everthing was overgrown. Almost all my spare time has been wrapped up in the yard since last September.
I have 10 yards of topsoil coming for new beds saturday, my buddy is bringing a skid steer thank god. I'll do before and afters of the whole project.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Kill the weeds first. It is simplest to call a professional for that. Skip the aeration until next year. If DIY use maximum strength three-way product or Weed B Gone. Include a surfactant or wetting agent--detergent if you cannot find same.

A Fimco pull behind sprayer, 25 gal version, behind your lawn tractor should work, if you insist on your own equipment. Weed and feeds are only about half as good as liquid for tough weeds.

Apply fertilizer to improve thickness, but skip fert during dry periods. Be sure to apply fert in fall and perhaps late fall Do a weed control in late October, also.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
Kill the weeds first. It is simplest to call a professional for that. Skip the aeration until next year. If DIY use maximum strength three-way product or Weed B Gone. Include a surfactant or wetting agent--detergent if you cannot find same.

A Fimco pull behind sprayer, 25 gal version, behind your lawn tractor should work, if you insist on your own equipment. Weed and feeds are only about half as good as liquid for tough weeds.

Apply fertilizer to improve thickness, but skip fert during dry periods. Be sure to apply fert in fall and perhaps late fall Do a weed control in late October, also.
So I ended up buying a Red Max 46i backpack sprayer. Any suggestions on what to load into it?

My grass is greening up nicely and it's pretty thick right now and my back yard is nice and green right now just ridden with weeds. Although it's large I may just tackle it with the sprayer and see how it goes.

Since the temps are in the mid 70's and it's May already and I'm redoing all my beds and other landscape projects the lawn renovation (aeration and overseeding) is going to have till fall I don't want any new seed just to die in the heat of the summer, especially if we have another drought like we did last year in the midwest. Fall is a better time anyways, I just had to much going on this spring to time it just right.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:28 PM
LawnSite Member

By the time you buy the equipment, spend time running back and forth to Home Depot, asking questions of 10 different people and getting 10 different responses, etc, etc, etc.......You could have just hired a pro and had it done by a licensed tech with commercial strength chemicals for 1/2 the cost and no headache.

Sincerely,
Capt. Obvious