Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-18-2013, 01:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Stand On for the big guys?

I'm in market for a 36 or 40 inch standon to get in tight spaces and fenced yards. At 260lb I'm wondering how big of an issue this is going to be? Going up hill for example...how light will the front end be? I can always just get off and walk it I suppose. Most of my accounts are all flat anyway. I know I can add weight to the front if I had to, but a 36' or 40' is pretty narrow to begin with, rutting can/may be another issue.

I like ExMark, Scag, GS,and Wright. It looks like out of the 4 the Wright puts the operator within the rear axle wheel base which i would think would be better for me. The others seem to have extended platforms beyond the wheel base

Any thoughts?

Mike
Old 05-18-2013, 04:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I bought a 52 wright rh off a guy that was 250 plus. He loved it and I think it would be better for because of the weight right at the wheels. The v ride would get light on the front going up hill. I prefer the vride because I'm 150.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-18-2013, 05:43 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I love my vride and I'm 225 snd its the 52"
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-18-2013, 05:45 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm looking at a 36' or 40' GS.
Old 05-18-2013, 05:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Don't buy a Bad Boy......wheres that thread from hell about that lol!?!?!
Old 05-18-2013, 06:06 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I am 6 foot 4 and about 275 - demoed several of the major players stand on units last year. All were ok IMHO. The added weight to the front is a nice feature. I believe the toro I demoed had it and remember it for that reason. I can assure you any slope or hills are not going to be the ideal situation to use a small 36 mower on no matter the brand. As that old commercial used to say wider is better.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 05-18-2013, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Member

LP thanks! Good to know. What size were you demoing?

My accounts are mostly flat. The 36' would be for fenced in backyards tight spaces and small front yards my 60' can't do.

I have a great dealer, he is going to order a 36' Vantage for me to Demo. The ExmArk also has optional weights you can add to the front as well.

Mike
Old 05-19-2013, 01:23 AM
LawnSite Member

I'm 6"5 260 lbs and I have yet to have problem on hills with my vantage but it is a 48in. Only time mine pops up is when I'm on hill I really shouldn't be.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-19-2013, 09:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm 6'5" and 400lb and the new gravely pro stance handled my size great without a weight kit... It did bounce up a little in rough terrain but I was surprised how well it held my weight. I know you need a smaller deck but ck out Gravelys 48" pro stance.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-19-2013, 06:59 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyd View Post
LP thanks! Good to know. What size were you demoing?

My accounts are mostly flat. The 36' would be for fenced in backyards tight spaces and small front yards my 60' can't do.

I have a great dealer, he is going to order a 36' Vantage for me to Demo. The ExmArk also has optional weights you can add to the front as well.

Mike
I was demoing 36 for the same reason as you. The versatility.

I have made the decision that I will still stick with the traditional 36 in mini z's that hustler offers now called the super duty. The reason was IMHO it allows for less operator fatigue and can be used as a primary mower if needed on days when the other mower needs to be in the shop.
I liked the idea of the standers but did not care for the performance myself and did not feel they would be the mower for my company vs the traditional z's

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!