Register free!

Old 05-23-2013, 07:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Different shaded patches in lawn

Hey guys...Here in southern CT I have a lawn that has lighter green patches( see attachment); I'm wondering what type of grass these patches are( as I planted this 100% Kentucky Bluegrass 6 years ago).A cultivar of kentucky bluegrass wouldn't be this light green, would it? How did these get established? The owner has asked about this. Not bad to look at in the summer but in the spring and mid-late fall the lawn looks mottled.
If he must have the uniform color, is the best way to remove the patches and resod ( or reseed, if they can wait)with Kentucky Bluegrass? how can I prevent these from recurring?
I also have a bad poa annua problem this year, been trying to catch the seeds in a bag to prevent disbursement. Is a pe-emergent in August the best way to go with this; if so which chemical?
Thanks!
John
Attached Images

Old 05-23-2013, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Member

after a little more research on this site I am thinking it could be poa trivialis, because it does seem to be spreading, and there are no obvious seedheads like poa annua, plus it is thick. Anyone have thoughts on this?
Old 05-23-2013, 10:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Were these patches brown in the winter? If so, it could be nimblewill, which may be treated with Tenacity herbicide.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Member

I didn't notice them being browner than the rest of the grass in the winter. Thx for the info....
Old 05-24-2013, 12:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Potentially it is bentgrass. Take a careful look at the pictures.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...mg.PVfr0sh7oNM

Could also be poa annua.
It is normal for most types of Kentucky bluegrass to go to seed in the spring--ugly--but nothing to worry about. Who was your seed supplier? If...the patches are uniformly distributed...the source of the problem is probably the seed that was sown. Contamination.
I agree resod the spots--but--there is a good chance the sod will be darker green; most new types are dark.

Yes, a pre-emergent before the poa germinates in the fall is a good bet. I am not sure about the best timing in your area--probably mid-August. You need local advice for this.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayWemm View Post
Hey guys...Here in southern CT I have a lawn that has lighter green patches( see attachment); I'm wondering what type of grass these patches are( as I planted this 100% Kentucky Bluegrass 6 years ago).A cultivar of kentucky bluegrass wouldn't be this light green, would it? How did these get established? The owner has asked about this. Not bad to look at in the summer but in the spring and mid-late fall the lawn looks mottled.
If he must have the uniform color, is the best way to remove the patches and resod ( or reseed, if they can wait)with Kentucky Bluegrass? how can I prevent these from recurring?
I also have a bad poa annua problem this year, been trying to catch the seeds in a bag to prevent disbursement. Is a pe-emergent in August the best way to go with this; if so which chemical?
Thanks!
John
I swear sandy brought in poa to the northeast...Lol....there are a ton of lawns here on long island that are infested with poa this year.... It looks like that what you have there. Put a pre m down mid august, then again december.
Old 06-01-2013, 01:32 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

when was that pic taken?

2003 ford F 150
1- 14' OPEN TRAILER sold
1- 16' open trailer
BILLMASTER SOFTWARE FOR MY LAWN CARE.
http://www.customizedbusinesssoftware.com
QUICK BOOKS FOR ACCOUNTING
1- Z SPRAY Intermediate
1- Z SPRAY MAX
2-Z PLUGGER
1-Lesco Renovator
1- CLASSEN SPLIT REEL CORE AERATOR
1- 150 GAL NURSE TANK WITH A 20 GPM TIGER PUMP.