Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-28-2014, 01:04 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ditch line?

So I have a customer that keeps giving me head-aches. I have to service her property today. She insist on telling me the "whole ditch has to be trimmed." This is a ten foot wide ditch that divides two properties. The ditch divides this property and the neighbors property and I didn't include it in my bid. So now I think I'm going to have to up the price on her. However, I seen the neighbors mowing their side of it a while back. Now it's all grown up and she's trying to tell me to trim the embankment on the neighbors side. How do you guys handle zoning issues? I got news for her, I'll trim her side of the ditch tomorrow, but I'm not getting paid to mow the neighbors side and I sure ain't doing it.

(I took the Praying For Rain out of my signature, due to my hypothesis that it has been a jinx on Central Texas.) Now here comes the rain.
Old 06-28-2014, 04:44 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

The only time work is a headache is when the work is priced wrong.

You can not blame the customer for that.

Time to renegotiate the job requirements and the price in a professional manner with the customer.
Old 06-28-2014, 08:56 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote a price as an add on...maybe she expects to pay extra
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-28-2014, 10:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

everyone their own.. But your first sentence says it all: She KEEPS giving me head-aches. I'd say sure.. but will be X dollars more or re-adjust cost as mentioned above.. But if She is one head-ache after another, I'd say goodbye. You don't need the extra stress. I've dropped the bad ones in the past and picked up ones that are a dream compared to the ones I let go. My overhead is low so I have some flexibility.. But I honestly would do this in any situation as I like to enjoy my time best I can, at work.. or not working without getting stressed out over customers issues. You need to take care of you first- then customer.
Old 06-28-2014, 07:48 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

You should have asked about the ditch when you gave a bid, but, hey, don't feel bad because I've done the same thing myself in the past. Experience is certainly the best teacher.

Simple thing would be to tell the customer you didn't include that work in the original bid, and that you would be more than happy to include it in the weekly service for $X. She can either pay you, let it grow up, or find someone else.

I've been guilty of allowing "creep" on lawns ever since I first started my business. Problem is, if you let it go once, then it will never end. First it is the ditch, next week, trimming the outside of the fence, etc., etc. As long as it doesn't cost the customer any more, they will continue to find new things for you to do, for free.
Old 06-29-2014, 12:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Call the local city hall and ask about marking property lines.

Here it's done for free....they come out and stake the property lines for the address you're wanting marked.

There may be a charge, but that is passed onto the client as they are the individuals disputing the line. If it is small enough of a charge maybe eat it in the cost of doing business, but you need to get the lines marked, once that is done there is no argument on your part or their part.

Maybe the whole ditch is your responsibility, but maybe not. It is best to know for sure.

I mow a property that is bordered on a ditch that the city mows with batwings once a month. They left a stripe about 10 feet wide uncut, the property owner was fined for overgrown grass on that 10 food path. He called the city to stake the property, they did, the 10 foot path was the city's responsibility and the ticket was dismissed. It would have taken me 1 minute to mow that part, but it is the principle of the matter.

Get it staked out so you know if it is your job or not.
Old 06-29-2014, 01:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Had this happen to me also... I told them I would trim there side once a month to keep it under control but when the neighbour stop trimming his side they wanted me to trim that side also I said sure for a extra fee I will gladly do it.. They didn't ask anymore.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-29-2014, 07:28 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PicturePerfectLawns View Post
So I have a customer that keeps giving me head-aches. I have to service her property today. She insist on telling me the "whole ditch has to be trimmed." This is a ten foot wide ditch that divides two properties. The ditch divides this property and the neighbors property and I didn't include it in my bid. So now I think I'm going to have to up the price on her. However, I seen the neighbors mowing their side of it a while back. Now it's all grown up and she's trying to tell me to trim the embankment on the neighbors side. How do you guys handle zoning issues? I got news for her, I'll trim her side of the ditch tomorrow, but I'm not getting paid to mow the neighbors side and I sure ain't doing it.
Give her a discount tell her to trim it and see if she changes her mind

2014 JD 920M 7-Iron Pro 48" 23.5 hp Kawi
Echo - 210, 225
5x10 (upgrading winter)

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
Arthur Schopenhauer, (1788 – 1860)
Old 06-29-2014, 10:23 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaberLawnCare View Post
Call the local city hall and ask about marking property lines.

Here it's done for free....they come out and stake the property lines for the address you're wanting marked.

There may be a charge, but that is passed onto the client as they are the individuals disputing the line. If it is small enough of a charge maybe eat it in the cost of doing business, but you need to get the lines marked, once that is done there is no argument on your part or their part.

Maybe the whole ditch is your responsibility, but maybe not. It is best to know for sure.

I mow a property that is bordered on a ditch that the city mows with batwings once a month. They left a stripe about 10 feet wide uncut, the property owner was fined for overgrown grass on that 10 food path. He called the city to stake the property, they did, the 10 foot path was the city's responsibility and the ticket was dismissed. It would have taken me 1 minute to mow that part, but it is the principle of the matter.

Get it staked out so you know if it is your job or not.
I understand exactly where you are coming from, but here in rural America things are sometimes done differently. I mowed the vacant lot between the neighbor and I for 15 years before I finally got the chance to buy it.

I've had several clients ask that I mow a strip or two over onto the neighboring property. As long as the bordering property owner doesn't complain (and I've never had one do so yet), and the work is included in the price I quoted, I don't see a problem.

The issue here is that the OP is being asked to do work that wasn't included in the original price he quoted, who owns the property isn't really relevant. If the neighbor is okay with him mowing their side of the ditch, no matter where the property line is, and his client is willing to pay for it, then go for it.
Old 06-29-2014, 10:27 AM
LawnSite Member

What ever you decide just make sure you are standing on her side if you trim the neighbors side.
I think the neighbors will thank you if you do it, but just take all precautions until they do.

2014 John Deere Z960R with 7 Iron Pro Deck

Stihl:
Chain Saws: 029 Farm Boss, MS291, MS391
Weed eaters: FS85R, FS110R, FS130R, FS250R
Polesaw: HT131
Leaf Blower: SG86

Honda:
(2) EU2000i Generators

Husqvarna
HU800WH 22" Self Propel Push Mower with Honda Engine
HU625HWT 22" Weed-eater on wheels.