Register free!

Old 05-02-2013, 08:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Central Florida Talent pool

I've put two ads out on craigs list to find a new employee. The response has been minimal at best. I've run the same ad before with a ton of responses. Has the employee/worker pool shrunk big time? Just curios if anyone else is seeing the same thing.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjm95 View Post
I've put two ads out on craigs list to find a new employee. The response has been minimal at best. I've run the same ad before with a ton of responses. Has the employee/worker pool shrunk big time? Just curios if anyone else is seeing the same thing.
Relax President Obama is in Mexico as we speak requesting more future Democrats to fill those positions.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
Relax President Obama is in Mexico as we speak requesting more future Democrats to fill those positions.

lol man your on a roll tonight....
Old 05-02-2013, 11:00 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
The economy is improving and thus those seeking jobs have more options than say 2 or 3 years ago. Are you sure your are paying a competitive wage for your line of work in your area? Have you reviewed others ads and seen what they are offering?

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 05-03-2013, 09:07 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landscape Poet View Post
The economy is improving and thus those seeking jobs have more options than say 2 or 3 years ago. Are you sure your are paying a competitive wage for your line of work in your area? Have you reviewed others ads and seen what they are offering?
Labor participation rate is way down near all time lows. There's no shortage of people who could fill these spots but they're getting a free check, ebt card, housing, health care, sex changes, and college educations........why would they bother looking for work?

But I did talk to my cousin who has the biggest painting company in my county, he says when he runs a Craigslist ad he gets 100+ emails about the position within a few days.

Last edited by fl-landscapes; 05-03-2013 at 09:13 AM.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:17 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl-landscapes View Post
Labor participation rate is way down near all time lows. There's no shortage of people who could fill these spots but they're getting a free check, ebt card, housing, health care, sex changes, and college educations........why would they bother looking for work?

But I did talk to my cousin who has the biggest painting company in my county, he says when he runs a Craigslist ad he gets 100+ emails about the position within a few days.
A friends son just moved to Florida from Mass. He is collecting $ 600 a week in unemployment. In talking to him there is No Way he is taking any Job as long as he is collecting more than he can make working.

With 30 year fixed mortgage rates at a all time low, you can't tell me we aren't in a False Economy that is being pumped. I hate to say it but I believe this is only the calm before the big storm of National bankruptcy. Hopefully I am wrong.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

Old 05-03-2013, 12:20 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I couldn't agree more. The health of the largest economy in history can't be based on someone signing a few new lawn accounts. We have had meager GDP growth, unemployment is at 7.5 and only because we don't count people who stopped looking, home ownership is at a 65 year low, and labor participation rates are near all time lows. I also agree the economy is artificially inflated because the low interest rates you mentioned as well as the 80 billion per month the fed is printing and pumping into the economy. The stock market is up because interests rate are so low no one can make anything on a savings account or bonds so they have no other options. This is a sugar high in my opinion and isn't heading towards a bright future. My personal economy is fine as well BUT the economy as a whole is in deep doo doo, wait for obamacare train wreck to come crashing down on us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
A friends son just moved to Florida from Mass. He is collecting $ 600 a week in unemployment. In talking to him there is No Way he is taking any Job as long as he is collecting more than he can make working.

With 30 year fixed mortgage rates at a all time low, you can't tell me we aren't in a False Economy that is being pumped. I hate to say it but I believe this is only the calm before the big storm of National bankruptcy. Hopefully I am wrong.

Old 05-03-2013, 01:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I am as Anti Liberal/Ovomit as a person can be, but this is not the Political Forum. Besides we don't need Green T's trolls in the Florida Forum. But I do agree the Economy is a High Speed Train heading down a dead end line to a huge Wreak. To be Politically incorrect, GOD SAVE OUR CHILDREN'S AMERICA.

Old 05-03-2013, 02:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
No not really, you are looking in the wrong place. Call some of the local citrus growers, they have laborers that will be available when the citrus harvest slows down soon. Call a local college, UCF, USF etc. they have plenty of young men looking for work for the summer. If the checkout lady at the grocery or convenience store is Latino ask her if she knows anyone that is looking for work after the harvest, you will get more applications than you can handle.

Last edited by zturncutter; 05-03-2013 at 02:26 PM.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zturncutter View Post
No not really, you are looking in the wrong place. Call some of the local citrus growers, they have laborers that will be available when the citrus harvest slows down soon. Call a local college, UCF, USF etc. they have plenty of young men looking for work for the summer. If the checkout lady at the grocery or convenience store is Latino ask her if she knows anyone that is looking for work after the harvest, you will get more applications than you can handle.
Good advice I will try that. Thanks!