Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-03-2013, 01:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Town Limits and Business License

Hello everyone.

I was wondering how you guys went about making sure a town requires a business license to do business in the incorporated areas? Is there an easy way to look information like this up, or would I need to make a bunch of phone calls every-time I got a job in a town that I haven't been before.

It seems very tedious having a mobile business and doing work in multiple counties/towns. Is it common to not even worry about having a license in a town and just take the risk?

How do you guys handle this? Any advice/tips would be appreciated.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you are advertising they will find you. Generally larger cities require some sort of license (at least in NC) Just did a google search for wilmington business license and the finance dept came right up. You might try it for the cities you are working in. At least you would have some numbers to call with questions.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by windflower View Post
If you are advertising they will find you. Generally larger cities require some sort of license (at least in NC) Just did a google search for wilmington business license and the finance dept came right up. You might try it for the cities you are working in. At least you would have some numbers to call with questions.
Thank you for the reply. What do you mean they will find me?

Lets say I get a call for a job in a town I've never worked before. Should I do my best to not be available for an appointment until I know I can have my license finalized? Or should I take the job (w/o the L.)and just get the license asap? Would I face a huge fine if I got caught operating in a town that required a license?
Old 05-04-2013, 08:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Can't say how other towns work, but when the city of wilmington found me they simply informed me I needed to buy this license from that point forward or they would take me to court. It's only $30 a year. They have a form I'm supposed to fill out and send in with the check. Any more I throw away the form and just send a check, they seem to know what it is for because I get the license certificate in a few weeks.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

dang it's cheap for you guys. it's $85-$90 for each city here. it's only needed if you work in city limits. outside city limits no license is needed.

i work in about 6 different towns/cities. i'm not gonna pay for 6 licenses. i only pay for 2 which is where most of my jobs are.

it's not worth paying for a license for 1 customer in a city. i work in 4 cities that i only have 1 customer in each city. all of the rest are in the 2 cities i have a license for.

i've never been checked in any of the places i work in so i wonder if it's all just a waste of money.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Follow the former military policy: Don't ask, don't tell.

Then again, you may not want to follow my advice, since I'm not that fond of gov't, taxes, regulations and BS such as paying for the "privilege" of doing business in a certain city.

I get plowing licenses because apparently in a few cities the cops have nothing better to do at night than harass tax paying, hard working guys out plowing. For summer, I get 1 if needed. The rest............

And if they give you crap or if you want to get really pissed, read this:

Quote:
A man seducing and corrupting the moral purity of an unmarried woman is a felony with possible prison time. Throwing a few bucks into the office college basketball tournament pool is illegal gambling. And playing the national anthem for people to dance to is a misdemeanor.

Though routinely broken and ignored by citizens and government officials, these laws and more are on the books in Michigan. In fact, there are so many statutes in the state code that it is likely every resident would be considered a criminal if the codes actually were prosecuted.

State and federal laws are being added so quickly that the average citizen commits three felonies per day and cannot possibly figure them all out, said attorney Harvey Silverglate.

“Many laws are indeed routinely broken,” he said. “Since no individual can keep track of what is illegal, every citizen is in danger of being singled out for prosecution simply because he or she has come within the sights of a law enforcement official. This makes us all vulnerable to official power.”

Silverglate is the author of the book, “Three Felonies A Day,” and estimates that there are 4,000 federal criminal statues with countless more state and local regulations.

In Michigan, some of these laws seem crazy, archaic or both.

Authorities would have to prosecute within a year, but if they do, Section 532 of an early 1930s law criminalizes "any man who shall seduce and debauch any unmarried woman." The act is a felony, punishable by up to five years in prison or a $2,500 fine.

Michigan’s law regarding the national anthem is Act 328 of 1931. It prevents the “Star Spangled Banner” from being “played, sung or otherwise rendered … except as an entire and separate composition or number and without embellishments … nor be played as a part or selection of a medley of any kind … nor be played for dancing or as an exit march.”

Another statute involves low-level gambling. Though state law allows an exception for card games played at home in which there is no money taken by the house, it remains mostly illegal to make monetary bets — even on minor things. While an estimated 50 million Americans fill out March Madness brackets, those putting money in a pool are breaking state law, which prohibits betting on college sports.

"From a legal standpoint, gambling is still illegal, although I think that generally enforcement turns a blind eye to these things,” Travis Dafoe, a Saginaw County lawyer, told MLive in March. And the federal government has been known to warn its employees against taking part in betting on the basketball tournament.

Other acts prohibited in the state include having an unlicensed dog (the sheriff is required to kill the animal), adultery (a felony), mocking a person for refusing to duel, exhibiting deformed human beings, marrying an inmate girl from the Adrian training school without the permission of the superintendent, and cursing or blasphemy.

And while these may sound crazy, some are occasionally prosecuted.

In 1998, a man dubbed the “cussing canoeist” was convicted of violating a 105-year-old law for swearing after he fell out of a canoe on the Rifle River. The 1897 statute “prohibited using indecent, immoral, vulgar or insulting language in the presence or hearing of women or children.” While the ACLU eventually had the law struck down by the Court of Appeals, a separate Court of Appeals case from 1996 held that “the fact that a statute has not been recently enforced does not mean that it has been repealed de facto.” The case, Stopera v. DiMarco, cited Washtenaw Co. Rd Comm'rs v. Public Service Comm. (1957), which stated “statutes do not wither by disuse.”

Many of the laws on the books in Michigan may be considered unconstitutional if ever actually prosecuted. And while the regulations are mostly forgotten, ignored or unknown, there they sit for whenever the state or another citizen wants to go after someone.

“An excess of laws is very bad for society,” Silverglate said. “It saps the vitality of a state or nation for citizens to have to spend so much time figuring out if they may or may not take a certain action — with a misjudgment at their peril.”

I like my guns like Obama likes his voters: Undocumented

Criminals obey gun laws like politicians follow their oaths of office
Old 05-04-2013, 12:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeze View Post
dang it's cheap for you guys. it's $85-$90 for each city here. it's only needed if you work in city limits. outside city limits no license is needed.

i work in about 6 different towns/cities. i'm not gonna pay for 6 licenses. i only pay for 2 which is where most of my jobs are.

it's not worth paying for a license for 1 customer in a city. i work in 4 cities that i only have 1 customer in each city. all of the rest are in the 2 cities i have a license for.

i've never been checked in any of the places i work in so i wonder if it's all just a waste of money.
That is exactly what I was thinking. Especially for someone starting out. thanks for the reply
Old 05-04-2013, 12:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would at least find out what the requirements are. Many smaller cities don't require a business licence for some types of businesses. The time & money spend checking can be deducted from your taxes, but the main reason is that you will know what the requirements are. You can then decide whether you will or will not follow your local laws and ordinances, but you won't be guessing. I registered my business one-time with our county clerks office ($25), no special licence required, opened a bank account with a "doing business as (dba)" name, got my insurance with the same name (with my personal insurance agent), and I'm done. The state may have special requirements especially if you get into the treatment of lawns with chemicals, but you have to check those separately. Many guys get into trouble because they don't at least know the rules & regulations. What you decide to do is determined by how much risk you are willing to assume! Violate the wrong law and get caught, and it could put you out of business and/or bankrupt you. Good luck!
Old 05-04-2013, 02:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well another thing is if a customer knows the law, and knows you dont have a license when it is required.... THEY DONT HAVE TO PAY YOU, and if you decide to fight it your not going to win. No matter if you have a contract or not. For a contract (verbally or written) to be enforceable you must have 4 parts... Offer, Acceptance, Legality (which is legally working in your town/city/state etc.) and consideration (money). good luck fighting for your money if you dont have one for the hard work you performed. My advice make your business legal.

Hope this helps. I spent 550 dollars for county 2 year license. Plus a 75 for a town license which consist of a couple of towns. 31 contractors just got busted here.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The cost of a license here varies. Most of my work is outside the city so I end up paying the minimum. It is based on sales inside the city with a floor and ceiling.