Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 05-06-2013, 07:54 AM
Landscraper1's Avatar
Landscraper1 Landscraper1 is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Southeastern Ma.
Posts: 673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-N-Texas View Post
sorry to hear you lost the account...sucks to make a place "pop" for a fair price and then get canned.......but you have to remember that this is business, not personal: you have to look at it from the customer's perspective: he's responsible for his company's finances and he found a way to (theoretically) save money......so don't take it personally. My guess is that this new crew won't last long so if you'd like the account back, tell the customer that you'd like him back and to keep your card.
Good Advice, don't take it personal!
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 05-06-2013, 08:07 AM
gcbailey's Avatar
gcbailey gcbailey is online now
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: southern WV
Posts: 1,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by meets1 View Post

Then I lost another and there reason was this new guy out there is struggle family man, house payments, 2 kids and really needing the work. Beside the guy says, your an established business so you'll be ok. I mean what the .......... I just dont get it.

I guess just a little rant and venting for now.
That's the one that gets me right there.... I guess homeowners assume since I've got a couple trucks, couple crews, I must be living the high life...

Let's see I'm providing for my wife and 2 kids, along with helping provide for 2 other guys and their families and a couple part time college kids... Oh ya, I've got one of those mortgage things and other payments too... sheesh.

I've never had to worry about commercial accounts that require bids, because I know they require proof of insurance in the bid packet and at least I know if I lose out of the bid, hopefully I'm losing out to another legit company that knows the pains of paying uncle Sam and all the other evils of trying to be upfront and honest. It's one thing to lose a bid when you're comparing apples to apples...

But trying to explain to most homeowners all the overhead and costs of being legit and why they should stick with me vs. the types you are referring to, good luck...
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 05-06-2013, 02:05 PM
pineymountain pineymountain is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Chapel Hill NC
Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshmallow View Post
Those losers will be sorry when their yards look like crap from a stay at home dad
haha- thats me. well Im not now but will be in a month. I have been doing this part time for a year, just started it because I enjoy working in the yard and enjoy landscaping, taught High School full time and needed to make extra money. I had every intention to find a more "professional" part time job at the local university when I quit fulltime, but it's hard to beat the money I make doing this. I worked for 5 hours this weekend and brought home $160- yes thats gross, but it still beats 15 an hour plus taxes.

I get your frustrations, but thats just the nature of this business. It costs next to nothing to get started. That's never going to change.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 05-06-2013, 03:19 PM
Leeg83's Avatar
Leeg83 Leeg83 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: rochester ny
Posts: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by chesterlawn View Post
Am I reading this right, one man 2 hours to cut and another man 2 hours to trim and clean up? And you charged $60 and some one under bid you?
LMAO i was thinking same thing
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 05-06-2013, 07:47 PM
32vld 32vld is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: LI NY
Posts: 2,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade Runners View Post
Maybe he's not a lowballer and he can operate 55% cheaper than you and still make a profit
Having extremely low overhead does not mean that one should leave a lot of money on the table.

Leaving money on the table is low balling.

Low over head is never a reason to low ball.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 05-06-2013, 11:36 PM
Snyder's Lawn Inc's Avatar
Snyder's Lawn Inc Snyder's Lawn Inc is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Kirksville Mo
Posts: 3,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by pineymountain View Post
haha- thats me. well Im not now but will be in a month. I have been doing this part time for a year, just started it because I enjoy working in the yard and enjoy landscaping, taught High School full time and needed to make extra money. I had every intention to find a more "professional" part time job at the local university when I quit fulltime, but it's hard to beat the money I make doing this. I worked for 5 hours this weekend and brought home $160- yes thats gross, but it still beats 15 an hour plus taxes.

I get your frustrations, but thats just the nature of this business. It costs next to nothing to get started. That's never going to change.
5hrs for 160 gross I would go broke at that rate
Do you claim that 160 on your taxes and end of year or you pocketing the money
__________________
Snyder's New Lawn Service Inc.
Since 1981
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 05-06-2013, 11:44 PM
Tunica Tunica is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: North,Ms
Posts: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vld View Post
Having extremely low overhead does not mean that one should leave a lot of money on the table.

Leaving money on the table is low balling.

Low over head is never a reason to low ball.

Leaving what money on the table? Unless everyone knows what everyone else is bidding then how can you say "leaving" money on the table.

if I can do a job at 50 bucks cost and I charge 100 what percentage of profit am I making? If your cost was 90 don't say I am low balling you because I can charge 100.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 05-06-2013, 11:54 PM
315lawnguy 315lawnguy is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: marcellus
Posts: 12
weird, i was wondering the same thing... how alot of these LCO even get business... theres people in my neighborhood that i have driven out other guys cause they just do a horrible job... i take their business and always offer "ill do it $5 a cut less" and every single time people say "ill pay you $5 more just cause you do a superb job" but it baffles me how some people even have lawns to cut cause they look so God awful. but ya, mowing is a dim a dozen now. your going to have the sand baggers who are going to ruin the industry for the rest of us causing us to lower our prices to compete with the other guys. quality aside...
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 05-06-2013, 11:58 PM
Snyder's Lawn Inc's Avatar
Snyder's Lawn Inc Snyder's Lawn Inc is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Kirksville Mo
Posts: 3,112
[QUOTE=gcbailey;4761892]

I've never had to worry about commercial accounts that require bids, because I know they require proof of insurance in the bid packet and at least I know if I lose out of the bid, hopefully I'm losing out to another legit company that knows the pains of paying uncle Sam and all the other evils of trying to be upfront and honest. It's one thing to lose a bid when you're comparing apples to apples...

QUOTE]

I agree with you on this.
I lost one this year in the contact said had to be done in 1 day
The ppl won it takes them 2.5 days with 2 60'' mowers and
I use to roll in with 5 mowers 3 72'' and 2 60'' and 3 trimmers do it in one day + mow other jobs near this big School
The school seen there price was half of mine was last 3 yrs they jump on it
They look the other way about the rule they put in the Bid.
+ I found out they looking the other way on workman Comp the LCO doesn't carry it and its required to do the job, That what made me mad.
It wasn't apples to apples it was apples to nuts
I look at this way I don't have to worry about getting it mowed on the weekend
__________________
Snyder's New Lawn Service Inc.
Since 1981
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 05-07-2013, 09:00 AM
pineymountain pineymountain is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Chapel Hill NC
Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyder's Lawn Inc View Post
5hrs for 160 gross I would go broke at that rate
Do you claim that 160 on your taxes and end of year or you pocketing the money
well, I'll do better at that rate than using my BS and Masters Degree and getting a part time job at a major university. Thats just the nature of this business: any halfwit with a mower is a competitor. Unless you are offering the scale to do large commercial accounts or more value than just grass cutting, you will always be in a tenuous financial position.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:24 PM.

Page generated in 0.07338 seconds with 7 queries