Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-07-2013, 09:08 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pineymountain View Post
haha- thats me. well Im not now but will be in a month. I have been doing this part time for a year, just started it because I enjoy working in the yard and enjoy landscaping, taught High School full time and needed to make extra money. I had every intention to find a more "professional" part time job at the local university when I quit fulltime, but it's hard to beat the money I make doing this. I worked for 5 hours this weekend and brought home $160- yes thats gross, but it still beats 15 an hour plus taxes.

I get your frustrations, but thats just the nature of this business. It costs next to nothing to get started. That's never going to change.
It sure does but at the same time, working 5hrs in this line of work would have yielded a solid $400 if not more for me to do the work.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:32 AM
LawnSite Member

to be fair, in that $160 was a clean-up for a friend that was way underpriced. Yes, I don't charge enough but it is somewhat by design.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
to be fair, in that $160 was a clean-up for a friend that was way underpriced. Yes, I don't charge enough but it is somewhat by design.
Why is it by design?

Scag mowers
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
www.ClarksvilleLawnCare.us

"Always do your best. What you plant now, you will harvest later."
-Og Mandino
Old 05-08-2013, 01:04 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
well, I'll do better at that rate than using my BS and Masters Degree and getting a part time job at a major university. Thats just the nature of this business: any halfwit with a mower is a competitor. Unless you are offering the scale to do large commercial accounts or more value than just grass cutting, you will always be in a tenuous financial position.
with your full time job its better then you think
benefits
Pay your benefits with what you made in 5hrs see what you have then

You need get up in market value
I have few Res. lawns takes a hour I make 120
Has nothing to do with Com. accounts
I can mow only, in 5hrs on Res and make 400-500 depending the day of the week.

Not being rude but people like you Mowing for extra money kills a LCO that's making a living at this
You wouldn't like me come take over your teaching for less pay.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:35 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyder's Lawn Inc View Post
You wouldn't like me come take over your teaching for less pay.
haha- you are making more than I am making teaching then... including benefits. Thats why I am leaving the profession- when people can make more money cutting grass than I can with all of my degrees, training, certifications, and political headaches, it is time to get the hell out.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:13 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunica View Post
Leaving what money on the table? Unless everyone knows what everyone else is bidding then how can you say "leaving" money on the table.

if I can do a job at 50 bucks cost and I charge 100 what percentage of profit am I making? If your cost was 90 don't say I am low balling you because I can charge 100.
There is knowing and then there is knowing.

One does not have to know what one company's bid was to know what companies in your area charge to do jobs.

Example, your cost is $50 because you work out of your garage, no commercial shop overhead.

So you charged $100 and made $50 profit.

Now the other company's costs are $90. They normally get $190 to $220 to the job. They make $100 to $130 profit.

You lost out or as the saying goes, you left $90 to $120 of extra profit on the table.

Even if you market niche is to be the low price LCO if you did the job for $175 to be the low bidder you could of made $125.

Instead you low ball and drive your local area prices down.

I wish I was that wealthy to be able to leave large chunks of profit on the table.

Old 05-08-2013, 11:11 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vld View Post
There is knowing and then there is knowing.

One does not have to know what one company's bid was to know what companies in your area charge to do jobs.

Example, your cost is $50 because you work out of your garage, no commercial shop overhead.

So you charged $100 and made $50 profit.

Now the other company's costs are $90. They normally get $190 to $220 to the job. They make $100 to $130 profit.

You lost out or as the saying goes, you left $90 to $120 of extra profit on the table.

Even if you market niche is to be the low price LCO if you did the job for $175 to be the low bidder you could of made $125.

Instead you low ball and drive your local area prices down.

I wish I was that wealthy to be able to leave large chunks of profit on the table.

How do you know what others charge. Please tell Me if you know how..and I'll come in 1% lower on every quote in the county!
Old 05-08-2013, 12:04 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Call them and ask
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-08-2013, 01:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Thats why I am leaving the profession- when people can make more money cutting grass than I can with all of my degrees, training, certifications, and political headaches, it is time to get the hell out.
Yeah I woud quit too. With all of your degrees you should be much smarter than some of these guys who have been doing this for 20 years or more. They probably don't even know what their talking about.

One of the best ways to make alot of $ in this biz is to underbid all of these guys that have been doing it for years and take their customers. It really is just that easy. If you base your business model on that you should get alot of customers and make 2-3x what you make teaching.

Scag mowers
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
www.ClarksvilleLawnCare.us

"Always do your best. What you plant now, you will harvest later."
-Og Mandino
Old 05-08-2013, 01:40 PM
LawnSite Member

I never said anything about people not knowing what they are talking about. why would i say that?

nevermind- misread your post.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by pineymountain; 05-08-2013 at 01:46 PM.