Register free!

Old 05-16-2013, 03:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

amazed at how many applicators cant get fescue out of bermuda

Im not very old in this industry but i am finding out that theres a lot of applicators in my area even some of the big boys that cant or refuse to get a few fescue clumps out of bermuda lawns. I come in contact with so many people hat always tell me they have crabgrass and their turf companies cant get rid of it. when i see it its just plain ol fescue. ive picked up several yards just because i tell them itll be gone in 3 weeks they swap over to me. is it just me or does a lot of yall run into this? just blows my mind
Old 05-16-2013, 03:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgialawn88 View Post
Im not very old in this industry but i am finding out that theres a lot of applicators in my area even some of the big boys that cant or refuse to get a few fescue clumps out of bermuda lawns. I come in contact with so many people hat always tell me they have crabgrass and their turf companies cant get rid of it. when i see it its just plain ol fescue. ive picked up several yards just because i tell them itll be gone in 3 weeks they swap over to me. is it just me or does a lot of yall run into this? just blows my mind
Got that right. It seems it's mostly TG around here. My neighbor across the street has fescue everywhere and his is treated by TG. Usually, I try to nuke it in the winter time with glyphosate while the Bermuda is dormant (a lot less expensive than spraying selectively while the Bermuda is actively growing). It really stands out when the Bermuda is dormant.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We use unused pvc cans, mix roundup and tracker dye. Paint the fescue clumps and dallasgrass. Cheap and it works.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-16-2013, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

What are unused PVC cans?
Old 05-16-2013, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

better yet where do I get em I am in va need em for other stuff have yet to find some looked everywhere I can think of
Old 05-16-2013, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

PVC cement cans, sorry.

Buy them at local plumbing store, they are perfect with a cotton applicator.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-16-2013, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Heck, people in the north don't understand how to get rid of fescue clumps in lawns.

Unlike you southern guys though, it takes some over-seeding to get rid of it after a gly app.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 05-17-2013, 02:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

None of them sell empty cans
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-18-2013, 01:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Here's another idea: when I was a kid, I would work in my granfather's garden. He had a "wick stick". It was a piece of PVC with a tee at the end. On the end of each tee was a cap with holes in them through which a wick came out of one cap and returned to the other cap. You pour herbicide in the top and the wick soaks it up without dripping. Then you just go along dabbing the chemical onto the weeds, no drip, no offsite worries. You can also build one with a 3/4 compression tee. Make sure the top of the tee is threaded. Get a 1" x 3/4" reducing male adapter to thread into the tee, add whatever length of 1" sch 40 to the top. Put either another male adapter on the top with a threaded cap, or a female adapter with a plug. You can use this in lawns, and even better, in bed areas, not to mention your back is going to love it over the cans.
Old 05-18-2013, 01:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spraytek View Post
Here's another idea: when I was a kid, I would work in my granfather's garden. He had a "wick stick". It was a piece of PVC with a tee at the end. On the end of each tee was a cap with holes in them through which a wick came out of one cap and returned to the other cap. You pour herbicide in the top and the wick soaks it up without dripping. Then you just go along dabbing the chemical onto the weeds, no drip, no offsite worries. You can also build one with a 3/4 compression tee. Make sure the top of the tee is threaded. Get a 1" x 3/4" reducing male adapter to thread into the tee, add whatever length of 1" sch 40 to the top. Put either another male adapter on the top with a threaded cap, or a female adapter with a plug. You can use this in lawns, and even better, in bed areas, not to mention your back is going to love it over the cans.
We use that method on weed trees in the landscape or other weeds where you can't over-spray the area.

But, we use a paintbrush as it's relatively minimal when we do it. That and we also paint the stumps of volunteer trees come up and you can't dig them out.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.