Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-04-2013, 01:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Seed on snow

Can you seed early--real early?
I sowed seed during each month of the winter. I used Scotts Perennial Rye. I sowed the seed in small containers which had been drilled for drainage. I used potting soil. The containers were plunged into garden soil outside in a partly shady situation. A pinch of seed was added during each month of the year. The seed was not covered nor raked in. Seed was placed on top of snow in January, February and March. When snow was deep, the containers were partially uncovered in order to find them and the seed was placed on top of about an inch of snow, and then covered up with snow to the average outdoor level. The containers were not irrigated (rain was adequate) nor was fertilizer applied. Seed sown in November arose in the fall.
By May 4, 2013, each of the remaining months containers had newly sprouted grass. The November sown container had taller grass the remainder were about equal in height, about an inch.

Therefore it appears that grass seed can be applied very early even on top of snow and it will arise when temperatures and heat units are suitable in the spring. The GDD50 had accumulated to about 113, at the date of the photo.
Attached Images

Old 05-04-2013, 02:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Nice, and I might have to go out and fling seed in the snow the way it stands here
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 05-05-2013, 09:49 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Seed will sit in the ground for 3-5 years, in some cases, waiting for the correct depth and conditions to germinate...

Of course, CG seeds will stay viable long after I'm dead...
Old 05-05-2013, 07:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

AS a second more realistic test. Seed was applied to one square yard of a low quality crabgrass infested lawn on a vacant lot. About 3 ounces of seed was sown in the months of November, December, January, February, March and April. At least two months treatments were seeded on top of snow.
Now on May 5, the seed is up, in some of the plots at least, I think, but it is very difficult to distinguish the new seed sprouts from the already present grass. The new seed sprouts tend to be clustered together with the old grass. The bare dirt spots tend to remain mostly bare. Stay tuned for more detailed data. And photos.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Subscribed...I appreciate the "lab" results.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:35 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

We had one section of forest lawn that was neglected during the drought last year and the only thing left alive was CG... I tossed seed in amongst their dead bodies last winter, before the first big snow storm...

I'll compare notes with your CG infested lot as time goes by...