Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
Closed Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 09:00 AM
LawnSite Member

Transporting mower from site to site

Just wondering how you guys tie your z turn mowers down moving from job to job?

The rear of my mower has provided tie points that work well. What do you fellows attach to on the front of your Z-turns when transporting. I hate tying off out near the front wheels as this seems like it would put a lot of pressure on the pivot pin area of your front axle as you draw it tight.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Transporting mower from site to site

One strap across forks
Old 05-04-2013, 11:06 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

One strap right behind steering levers on Grasshopper ztrs...

On my gravely walkbehind one strap right over center of deck looping through handles on deck to keep from sliding forward or back.

I want to design a locking bar that hinges on one side and gets locked with a simple hitch pin on the other rail of the trailer. Has a rubber bumper that comes down over the foot area. Maybe attach some kind of a bracket to the mower that the bar sits in to make sure the mower always stays in the same position.

This way when you get out of the truck and walk back to the gate you just pull the pins as you go along the side. No ratcheting, etc.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

hopefully you guys dont get a dot inspection like i just did a couple days ago. they require a minimum of two straps on them, regardless of how strong the straps are.

what i do to tie mine down is the ztr gets pulled all the way forward on the trailer so the tires are against the metal and i have two permanently mounted ratchet straps the go right up and hook onto two holes right near where the two front forks are
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-04-2013, 12:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

thats on my open trailer at least, with the enclosed i have two fastraps that go around the rear wheels
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-07-2013, 12:05 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashlawn01 View Post
One strap across forks
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler_mott85 View Post
One strap right behind steering levers on Grasshopper ztrs..................
Sorry for the delay, been away for a couple of days!
I use 2 chains on the rear tie points and tie them off rearward on the trailer. This prevents any forward motion of the mower in a quick stop. I tie off the front end to each side of the vertical portion of the front wheels and to a trailer location forward of the unit. Again I do this to prevent any movement rearward of the unit in a emergency maneuver. I used straps here to prevent paint damage from a chain and I try to draw them evenly so not to put too much side torque on the pivot area. I really don't like tying off the front end here as I mentioned in the original post. Thought I'd get some alternative ideas.

Watched a really nice looking lawn care company pull into a repair shop recently. He walked in the shop, took care of the business end and then came out dropped the ramp, drove the z turn on the trailer to the front rail, locked the brake, turn off the ignitions, put up the ramps and drove off. Kind of scary to me!
Old 05-07-2013, 01:05 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckham View Post
Watched a really nice looking lawn care company pull into a repair shop recently. He walked in the shop, took care of the business end and then came out dropped the ramp, drove the z turn on the trailer to the front rail, locked the brake, turn off the ignitions, put up the ramps and drove off. Kind of scary to me!
That's fine if you know how to drive with load, most people don't.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:35 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herler View Post
Cool. He could use you as an expert witness when his load kills someone in an accident.

Old 05-07-2013, 02:13 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

No straps... Just lock the brake...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-07-2013, 06:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herler View Post
You admitted that most people don't know how to drive with a load (which I agree) but yet you trust them to not cause an accident that could turn your unrestrained mower into a wrecking ball during an evasive maneuver. that's just dumb.

While I don't have a ZTR, I still tie down the 48 walk behind and the 21". I installed some etrack at the front of the trailer that straps with hooks clip into and hook on to the d rings I installed on the front of the mower, then run a ratchet strap from the rear of the mower to a d ring I welded to the trailer.

For the 21" its the same idea. I bolted a d ring to the trailer floor, careful to bolt through the steel support under the wood floor, and use a steel cable to hook on to the front of the mower and a strap from the back to the trailer.

I actually took my loaded trailer to a DOT cop that I know and had him look it over. He said it would pass any road side inspection and was actually impressed with how secure it was. I have experience hauling all kinds of equipment from walk behind scrubbers to 100k lb excavators and take tie downs very seriously. I have been through countless DOT stops and was involved in a broadside accident with a 12k lb fork lift on the back of a flat bed. it wasn't my fault, and no tickets were issued to me, but if it wasn't tied down right, I'd be dead. If you don't tie down your equipment, your putting you and everyone's else's life at risk.

This works for me as my Viking has a fixed deck. If I had a floating deck, I would do something similar with the tie downs.

Closed Thread