Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center



Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #21  
Old 05-07-2013, 09:44 AM
orangemower orangemower is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: pa
Posts: 2,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcbailey View Post
all I can say is if this wasn't strapped in, it could have been a whole lot worse... Luckily a broken back was the worst part of it. The straps snapped when the trailer jackknifed when the truck when through the house. As to the cause of the wreck, the parking pawl on the transmission sheared off causing the parking break not to be able to hold the truck.

Yes, the truck was scotched properly, but it was parked on an incline and whenever the guy removed the chock (after everything was loaded) something snapped. The insurance company did the investigation after the fact and said that they have saw several Chevy's have transmission failures of that type.
But that will never happen to anyone ever, especially the guy that keeps saying it doesn't have to be tied down.
  #22  
Old 05-07-2013, 09:48 AM
gcbailey's Avatar
gcbailey gcbailey is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: southern WV
Posts: 2,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangemower View Post
But that will never happen to anyone ever, especially the guy that keeps saying it doesn't have to be tied down.
True, true... I know the cops were trying to find every excuse to write a ticket for something, but you can't argue with proof of chock blocks that leave tire marks 150' where they are being pushed by a few tons of downhill force and seeing the parking break was still engaged and the truck was in park... My guess would be the momentum of the tractor would have caused it to flip a few more times doing probably $50k+ worth of damage to the house instead of $15k.
  #23  
Old 05-07-2013, 10:14 AM
Ridin' Green Ridin' Green is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 8,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreativeLawncareSolutions View Post
The trailer has sides. The wheels are chocked. The parking brake is on. They're not going any where. They literally do not move an inch. Never have. It's impossible for them to go over the sides. There is literally no reason at all for me to use tie downs. So, why would I? For fun?
Maybe where you live in the land of OZ there's no reason to tie down your load, but here at least, it's a law first of all and common sense second.

What if you are driving along doing just fine, but someone cuts you off sharply either due to stupidity or a mechanical malfunction of some type, and you go flying over a curb and into a parking lot where a woman and here small children are making their way to their car. Suddenly, here you come, mower flying out across the lot as your trailer rolls from flying up and over the curb sideways. You wipe out the lady and her kids. You are liable for not having your load secured. No jury will let you off the hook for that.
  #24  
Old 05-07-2013, 11:16 AM
Ridin' Green Ridin' Green is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 8,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by herler View Post
That's fine if you know how to drive with load, most people don't.
this is really not something you should say on a public forum. IT ISN'T FINE. This is in violation of many states laws and saying it is fine is just flat wrong to do. You are possibly helping/advising someone to break the law in their local, not to mention what will happen to them if they are involved in a roll over accident and found to have not had their equipment strapped down. Since you are giving legal opinion/advice here, are you going to defend them in court or at least pay for their defense?
  #25  
Old 05-07-2013, 12:34 PM
hi_speedreed hi_speedreed is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Charleston, WV
Posts: 407
Doesn't this argument happen in some way or another on this forum 3-4 times a year?

I tie down because it means you expect the unexpected. I hope to never be involved in any type of accident but if I am I want to know I did everything in my power to prevent injury to others. I would have trouble sleeping at night if I didn't strap my mower down and it somehow became a 700lb projectile moving at 45mph. It would maim at best kill at worst.

Guys who tie down will never convince guys who don't.
  #26  
Old 05-07-2013, 04:50 PM
Richard Martin's Avatar
Richard Martin Richard Martin is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Greenville, NC
Posts: 14,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by hi_speedreed View Post
I would have trouble sleeping at night if I didn't strap my mower down and it somehow became a 700lb projectile moving at 45mph. It would maim at best kill at worst.
Just like in the example pictured above, the chances are pretty good that the straps will snap in a major collision. US DOT laws regarding securing loads leave a lot to be desired. In no direction is more than 1 G of securement force required. The point of the straps is not to stop stuff from flying off in a collision, it's to keep stuff from moving around while being transported and causing an accident.

Well in excess of 100 G's of force can occur in a head on collision. For the average 1400 pound ZTR you'd need straps in excess of 140,000 pounds of strength. Most people think they're way over doing it with 10,000 pound straps.
__________________
Serving Greenville, Winterville and Ayden NC



  #27  
Old 05-07-2013, 05:22 PM
OakNut's Avatar
OakNut OakNut is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 2,405
Quote:
Originally Posted by OakNut
Cool. He could use you as an expert witness when his load kills someone in an accident.
Quote:
Originally Posted by herler View Post
A perfect driving record running at least 10 years with neither citations nor accidents is a requirement, I'm not getting into everything that needs to be done in terms of how to drive proper but after the above post you would likely be a bad candidate, on that note I don't suppose drivers under 40 years old need consider.

I don't even understand your reply.

Maybe you missed my sarcasm in my post.
You make a lot of assumptions - I can assure you that I'm not "under 40", nor do you know anything about my driving skills/habits/record.
  #28  
Old 05-07-2013, 10:17 PM
GrassGuerilla GrassGuerilla is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: St. Louis Missouri
Posts: 1,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreativeLawncareSolutions View Post
The trailer has sides. The wheels are chocked. The parking brake is on. They're not going any where. They literally do not move an inch. Never have. It's impossible for them to go over the sides. There is literally no reason at all for me to use tie downs. So, why would I? For fun?
I've told the story before, but here goes. Several years back, I had an old JD 48" belt drive on the trailer. It could hardly move due to the way it was wedged. I was looking for street numbers for a new job, and just dipped a trailer tire into a ditch. Even though I was only going 20-25 mph, when it popped back onto the road the mower flew several feet in the air. Nearly half of the mower was dangling out the driver side with a little car coming at me. It was VERY close to tossing it out of the trailer and into the windshield of that car. I remember the look on the young lady's face as it happened.

As much as we rush from job to job. And try to conserve any unnecessary work. I never rush anyone that's strapping mowers down. Besides, they may not move much, but they beat the snot out of each other if they aren't strapped down. One poster on here had broken (I believe it was 5) toro 21" decks. Almost certainly from a bigger mower "bullying" it on the trailer. Straps may well save a life.
Posted via Mobile Device
  #29  
Old 05-07-2013, 11:58 PM
CreativeLawncareSolutions's Avatar
CreativeLawncareSolutions CreativeLawncareSolutions is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: cincinnati, oh
Posts: 1,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassGuerilla View Post
I've told the story before, but here goes. Several years back, I had an old JD 48" belt drive on the trailer. It could hardly move due to the way it was wedged. I was looking for street numbers for a new job, and just dipped a trailer tire into a ditch. Even though I was only going 20-25 mph, when it popped back onto the road the mower flew several feet in the air. Nearly half of the mower was dangling out the driver side with a little car coming at me. It was VERY close to tossing it out of the trailer and into the windshield of that car. I remember the look on the young lady's face as it happened.

As much as we rush from job to job. And try to conserve any unnecessary work. I never rush anyone that's strapping mowers down. Besides, they may not move much, but they beat the snot out of each other if they aren't strapped down. One poster on here had broken (I believe it was 5) toro 21" decks. Almost certainly from a bigger mower "bullying" it on the trailer. Straps may well save a life.
Posted via Mobile Device
I don't doubt you. I have my mowers strategically placed on my trailer with boards screwed down on the trailer floor to prevent them from moving. I'm pretty sure it would be physically impossible for them to leave my trailer. I'm sure there's a math problem out there to prove it too. My mowers have never even moved an inch in transport. I have no use for straps.
__________________


F-150
14' landscape trailer
52'' Wright Stander
21'' Personal Pace
Stihl handhelds
  #30  
Old 05-08-2013, 01:15 AM
GrassGuerilla GrassGuerilla is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: St. Louis Missouri
Posts: 1,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreativeLawncareSolutions View Post
I don't doubt you. I have my mowers strategically placed on my trailer with boards screwed down on the trailer floor to prevent them from moving. I'm pretty sure it would be physically impossible for them to leave my trailer. I'm sure there's a math problem out there to prove it too. My mowers have never even moved an inch in transport. I have no use for straps.
Do said boards prevent them from moving up? It was like a catapult. Almost flung the mower. I had been pulling mowers on trailers for nearly a decade by then without incident. Good luck.
Posted via Mobile Device
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:37 AM.

Page generated in 0.07644 seconds with 8 queries