Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Closed Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 03:37 AM
LawnSite Member

I have been in the business for 7 years now and I have used ratchet straps and tie downs for every piece of equipment on my trailers over the years. ive even laid my rakes and brooms down, and bungied them together to minimize chances of them becoming a flying projectile or obstacle that another drive might have to dangerously maneuver around. Im currently in the process of organizing my trailer for the most efficient traveling and loading/unloading procedures.

So far, Ive decided on 2x4's trailer width in front and rear or the rear tire. this will help prevent any back and forth movement. I will take tow straps....yes the heavy duty yellow straps and cut them down to a shorter more manageable length and permanently fasten one end to the trailer and the other will retain its hook. My Exmark has 4 tie down points, one at each corner so this will aid with securing it to the trailer. For my push/walk behinds, ill do the same thing except ill have 1 2x4 in front of the front wheels, and one behind the rear wheels instead of capturing one set of wheels. this should definitely prevent rocking back and forth. ill install D rings on the floor as anchor points for a ratchet strap to go across the deck and secure it that way.

I think not only will this help to prevent any injuries in the event of a severe accident, but it will also make loading faster since ill have designated places for everything to go. I will not have a variation from day to day on where my equipment sits on the trailer and thus it will make strapping down the equipment easier and quicker. this, im willing to do to help prevent any unnecessary injury to both myself, and the citizens in which i aim to service.

I have also thought about linexing my whole floor board once all the anchor points and retention boards are set into place. thanks for the great site and i have learned alot from you guys.

2009 Dodge Ram Crew Cab Hemi Sport
6.5x14' tandem axle trailer
Exmark Lazer Z 52" 2013
Exmark Commercial 30" push/walk behind
Stihl FS90R trimmer
Stihl FC90 stick edger
Stihl HL90K Hedge trimmer
Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Extreme Trimmer Racks
Old 05-08-2013, 06:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreativeLawncareSolutions View Post
I don't doubt you. I have my mowers strategically placed on my trailer with boards screwed down on the trailer floor to prevent them from moving. I'm pretty sure it would be physically impossible for them to leave my trailer. I'm sure there's a math problem out there to prove it too. My mowers have never even moved an inch in transport. I have no use for straps.
Actually the math problem would probably prove you wrong. Smaller, lighter equipment is more likely to bounce and move over smaller bumps than bigger equipment. Even still, the amount of tie downs on a large dozer is immense and the dozer isn't even sitting on wheels, or its tracks. It is sitting on its frame, with the trailer frame between the tracks so there is a high friction coefficient to prevent movement, in part due to the sheer weight. By your standards, this shouldn't need tie downs as it couldn't possibly move.

Why is it that people here often cry about not getting the respect as "proffesionals" that they want, but yet refuse to do whys expected of a professional even when its as simple as strapping down equipment to prevent the "what if" scenario. "Nah, nothing is gonna happen... after all, everyone else on the road will see that were all pros and will drive safely when I'm around so they don't cause an accident and turn my mowers into a wrecking ball."

willfully refusing to restrain equipment is unprofessional, unsafe, and irresponsible no matter how you want to justify it. I'm willing to bet the DOT cops will say the same.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:27 AM

DOT requires you to strap down equipment and gas tanks here. Inner city only probably will get away with not doing that, but when you travel on state roads, there is some chance you will get stopped by DOT. DOT has pulled up beside my trailer and looked it over. I have my equipment strapped down so they didn't stop me. I have seen small outfits pulled over. They cracked down recently because recent accidents involving autos pulling trailers
Old 05-08-2013, 08:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thank you Charles...

I was told by Dot inspector that they should be able to turn your truck upside down and nothing should fall out. I also heard in certain townships in Pa. they were impounding trucks towing trailers rated 10000 # and over if the driver didn't have a medical card.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:13 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealcutter View Post
Thank you Charles...

I was told by Dot inspector that they should be able to turn your truck upside down and nothing should fall out. I also heard in certain townships in Pa. they were impounding trucks towing trailers rated 10000 # and over if the driver didn't have a medical card.
You should look into this farther. Last I heard, DOT in PA was 17K combined before a med card is needed. I guess a trailer rated at or over 10k which would only leave enough gross weight on the truck to be 7k or less.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangemower View Post
You should look into this farther. Last I heard, DOT in PA was 17K combined before a med card is needed. I guess a trailer rated at or over 10k which would only leave enough gross weight on the truck to be 7k or less.
I have been looking all morning and still not sure.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealcutter View Post
I have been looking all morning and still not sure.
I was having the same problem here, so I sent an e-mail to MDOT and they replied within 48 hours. Their head of their information department sent me the reply.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
I was having the same problem here, so I sent an e-mail to MDOT and they replied within 48 hours. Their head of their information department sent me the reply.

What was said?
Old 05-08-2013, 01:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

My situation was similar but not exactly the same. There was a thread going here where everyone was talking about DOT numbers and who needed to have them, and based on what weight limit. I couldn't find anything on MDOT's site that stated exactly what I wanted to post here, and had zero luck googling it too, so I sent the e-mail. He told me that the law here had changed in 2012 to 26001 lbs for intrastate commercial business, and I posted it here for others to read.
Old 05-08-2013, 03:57 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I know in WV whether it's personal or commercial anything registered over 10k has to have a 'B' plate and DOT number. You don't have to have a med card under 26k.

The state DOT people have been writing tickets left and right for guys in 3/4 and 1 ton trucks pulling bobcats, ditchwitches, anything where the truck, trailer, and load are over 10k. Apparently my FIL hasn't learned his lesson yet and has 3 tickets.
Closed Thread