Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-03-2015, 08:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Demoed a scag v ride and wright stander today (both 36")

I got the chance to demo both a scag v ride and wright stander this afternoon and the only thing that I preferred on the wright stander is you stand closer to the ground and the front wheels are much closer to the front of the mowing deck on the 36" wright stander compared to the v ride. Was wondering if any owners of the v ride have noticed a problem with the front wheels being out that far from the deck ??
It seemed I could keep the scag much straighter also on a long stretch.

Thanks!
Old 04-03-2015, 09:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckduck View Post
I got the chance to demo both a scag v ride and wright stander this afternoon and the only thing that I preferred on the wright stander is you stand closer to the ground and the front wheels are much closer to the front of the mowing deck on the 36" wright stander compared to the v ride. Was wondering if any owners of the v ride have noticed a problem with the front wheels being out that far from the deck ??
It seemed I could keep the scag much straighter also on a long stretch.

Thanks!
Any issues with rutting with the scag? I was interested in a swzt but for $500 more I could get the v ride (36" 15hp recoil). Why do you think it would be a problem with the wheels out so far?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-03-2015, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Why not buy my stander sport then?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-03-2015, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagman9111 View Post
Any issues with rutting with the scag? I was interested in a swzt but for $500 more I could get the v ride (36" 15hp recoil). Why do you think it would be a problem with the wheels out so far?
Posted via Mobile Device
No rutting and grass was damp. The problem with the front wheels sticking out in the front is I was wondering if it would prevent getting to close to stuff ??
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-03-2015, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
No rutting and grass was damp. The problem with the front wheels sticking out in the front is I was wondering if it would prevent getting to close to stuff ??
Posted via Mobile Device

I operate a 36" V-Ride all day long so I'll give you my input if it's of any value. I know exactly where your coming from when you say the "wheels stick out further compared to other standers." The wheel base feels longer, or it actually feels like the front frame is longer. As far as fitting, no problems here what-so-ever. In fact, it has actually seemed to eliminate trimming around most small trees. I'm able to place small tree trunks right in the center of the two frame sides and pull up to it enough to barely bump it and leave virtually no trimming. It didn't take long to get used to. Other than that, the build quality seems bar none the best of any standers I've used. I don't like the 36 V-Ride deck, nor the Wright to be up front with you. If it were a 48 V-Ride I would be much happier with the deck. However, I have it to where it's not cutting bad now. I highly suggest you raise the baffle to the highest slot and add a TRUE set of scag mulching blades. Rather than being wavy or having the gator notches, they have both, the wavy cutting edge with the notches. Just these blades alone and the baffle adjustment changed the whole cutting, I was literally about to throw in the towel if it wasn't for this last minute change.
Old 04-03-2015, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PicturePerfectLawns View Post
I operate a 36" V-Ride all day long so I'll give you my input if it's of any value. I know exactly where your coming from when you say the "wheels stick out further compared to other standers." The wheel base feels longer, or it actually feels like the front frame is longer. As far as fitting, no problems here what-so-ever. In fact, it has actually seemed to eliminate trimming around most small trees. I'm able to place small tree trunks right in the center of the two frame sides and pull up to it enough to barely bump it and leave virtually no trimming. It didn't take long to get used to. Other than that, the build quality seems bar none the best of any standers I've used. I don't like the 36 V-Ride deck, nor the Wright to be up front with you. If it were a 48 V-Ride I would be much happier with the deck. However, I have it to where it's not cutting bad now. I highly suggest you raise the baffle to the highest slot and add a TRUE set of scag mulching blades. Rather than being wavy or having the gator notches, they have both, the wavy cutting edge with the notches. Just these blades alone and the baffle adjustment changed the whole cutting, I was literally about to throw in the towel if it wasn't for this last minute change.
Thanks for your input !!! Do you regret buying it ? I feel like the s ag stays straighter but who knows. Do you have a bigger v ride too? I. Looking to get a 36" and either a 48" or 52"
Old 04-03-2015, 11:14 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Thanks for your input !!! Do you regret buying it ? I feel like the s ag stays straighter but who knows. Do you have a bigger v ride too? I. Looking to get a 36" and either a 48" or 52"
Glad I could help! As far as regrets, it's a yes, no kind of answer. I have a 60" ztr, but will be switching to two standers for a number of reasons, including space on the trailer, versatility, and they are quicker in tight areas for me. As far as the regrets, my only regret is not having the Velocity deck. If you have a 48/52 and a 36 you will be more than happy. All of the V-Rides are well, well built. The 36" cut really isn't that bad, it just takes some dialing in. Other than that, the build quality is great. The machine is great over-all. In my honest opinion, I'm happy, very happy. As I mentioned earlier, my only regret is not having a bigger twin which I'll be purchasing this season. Buy them and don't look back. They'll make you plenty of money and you'll be glad you did.
Old 04-04-2015, 01:31 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

How long have you had your 36" v ride ?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-04-2015, 09:35 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Chuck Scag's in general are longer due to the deck being longer. That front angle adds length.

How many hours are you mowing a week with a 36 compared to a 48/52 your planning on buying.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-04-2015, 09:40 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djagusch View Post
Chuck Scag's in general are longer due to the deck being longer. That front angle adds length.

How many hours are you mowing a week with a 36 compared to a 48/52 your planning on buying.
Posted via Mobile Device
75% of the time it will be with the 48 or 52". Not sure about the deck being much longer but looking at them side by side the front forks stick out much further on the scag.What size v rides do you have?