Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-07-2013, 05:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
Thanks Gravely!!

I always have a hard time explaining these no flats. These no flats do not accept air like a pneumatic tire. The rubber is what supports the tire and provides the cushion, not air.
The air is also what helps with the cushioning effect, without the air cavity this is what their closed cavity polyurethane based material tire looks like, and the one people think of when getting a bad ride with flat-free tires. The air cavity plays a very important role in how the tire responds to any bump it may encounter. A solid tire of this type would beat you to death on a mower.

Old 06-07-2013, 05:52 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
The air is also what helps with the cushioning effect, without the air cavity this is what their closed cavity polyurethane based material tire looks like, and the one people think of when getting a bad ride with flat-free tires. The air cavity plays a very important role in how the tire responds to any bump it may encounter. A solid tire of this type would beat you to death on a mower.

I believe the cavity is neutral, no air pressure. If the tire were to puncture it would feel the same. Gravely please correct me if Im wrong.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-07-2013, 06:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
I believe the cavity is neutral, no air pressure. If the tire were to puncture it would feel the same. Gravely please correct me if Im wrong.
Posted via Mobile Device
It only stands to reason if you completely loose the air cavity which brings about solid rubber to rubber contact, it is theoretically impossible to have the same quality ride. Would you not think this to be the case?
Old 06-07-2013, 06:12 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
It only stands to reason if you completely loose the air cavity which brings about solid rubber to rubber contact, it is theoretically impossible to have the same quality ride. Would you not think this to be the case?
My thinking is the rubber itself is the support. Its very thick all the way around. I could be wrong though. During a very hard impact with a puncture I would say it would bottom out rubber to rubber. Again I may be wrong.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-07-2013, 06:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

GMLC is right puppy. If you puncture a std run flat for a Z which are normally hollow, the ride won't change. One of my local dealers had a display up last summer of a tire that they pegged plum full of nails and coat hanger etc, and the compression of it on the display machine was the same. In other words, the air inside that is trapped during the molding process doesn't do anything for the ride. It is just a way to construct the tires so that they at least have some sidewall flex to soften the ride over a solid rubber fork truck type tire.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
My thinking is the rubber itself is the support. Its very thick all the way around. I could be wrong though. During a very hard impact with a puncture I would say it would bottom out rubber to rubber. Again I may be wrong.
Posted via Mobile Device
You are correct, the rubber is thick in the sidewalls and provides the support and shock absorbtion. I don't believe based off the tests I've seen at the same dealer, that the tire would bottom out rubber to rubber GMLC. The same dealer's display has/had all sorts of posted info about how these type tires work, and what they are capable of withstanding etc.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:27 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
You are correct, the rubber is thick in the sidewalls and provides the support and shock absorbtion. I don't believe based off the tests I've seen at the same dealer, that the tire would bottom out rubber to rubber GMLC. The same dealer's display has/had all sorts of posted info about how these type tires work, and what they are capable of withstanding etc.
I was just thinking about my comment with a puncture. I dont believe it would make a difference puntured or not. I keep feeling my tires and I believe they are totally self supported.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-07-2013, 07:33 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Time to get this thread back on track. I was on vacation this week in Bar Harbor Maine but here are some XF2 pics from last week.
Attached Images

Old 06-07-2013, 07:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

That's really looking nice!
Old 06-07-2013, 07:41 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
That's really looking nice!
Thanks brotha!!! With all the rain we are getting the turf is really thickening up. 4 more inches expected today through the weekend!!
Posted via Mobile Device