Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-07-2013, 08:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Man, we need some of that over hear. We might get sprinkles on Monday.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:10 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

What I want to know is how you go on vacation for a week during the heavy spring growing season?
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)
Old 06-07-2013, 09:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Lookin good gm. I feel ya with this rain. I just got 4" and can do nothing with my mower. I am afraid she will be too heavy and get stuck more than working. How come that turf doesn't stripe as awesome and defined? A little too early for the right angle of sunlight? I noticed a hint if stripe, but just curious. As I know many factors contribute to striping.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-07-2013, 09:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProStreetCamaro View Post
What I want to know is how you go on vacation for a week during the heavy spring growing season?
Ya know...I was going to post this, but figured that I better not...

I try to plan something each year in late July/early August, but even then it's dicey!
2006 Hustler SuperZ 28EFI 60" Power Chute Design OCDC SOLD!
Perma-green Magnum
1996 48" SCAG Belt WB 14hp Kawasaki Classic Deck
Echo 2 strokes PB-755 & SRM 280
Eastman WM20H 20" Commercial Push mower (NEW for 2013)
Commercial Lawnboy trim mower 3-FOR SALE!http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=424203
Solo since 1980
Old 06-07-2013, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLS View Post
Ya know...I was going to post this, but figured that I better not...

I try to plan something each year in late July/early August, but even then it's dicey!
I am going to the beach next Friday and I am already worried about getting everything done by Thursday especially after all this rain yesterday and today. Everything is still going to be muddy come Monday and Tuesday.
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)
Old 06-07-2013, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProStreetCamaro View Post
If it wasnt for the man that taught me everything about lawn care it wouldnt be possible. My dad took a week off and he and my helper did all my properties!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-07-2013, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropctony View Post
Lookin good gm. I feel ya with this rain. I just got 4" and can do nothing with my mower. I am afraid she will be too heavy and get stuck more than working. How come that turf doesn't stripe as awesome and defined? A little too early for the right angle of sunlight? I noticed a hint if stripe, but just curious. As I know many factors contribute to striping.
Posted via Mobile Device
Sun and angle mostly. Those were mostly ground level shots to show cut quality. Also Im mowing around 3" right now due to fast growth. In a bit I will be mowing at 3.5 to 4.25" and the stripes will really pop! Don't worry, plenty of stripes to come.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-07-2013, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
GMLC is right puppy. If you puncture a std run flat for a Z which are normally hollow, the ride won't change. One of my local dealers had a display up last summer of a tire that they pegged plum full of nails and coat hanger etc, and the compression of it on the display machine was the same. In other words, the air inside that is trapped during the molding process doesn't do anything for the ride. It is just a way to construct the tires so that they at least have some sidewall flex to soften the ride over a solid rubber fork truck type tire.
This is somewhat confusing, "the air inside doesn't do anything for the ride"...it is just a way to construct the tires so that they have some sidewall flex to soften the ride." These statements seem to be contradicting each other as stated, they construct the tires with air inside to soften the ride, yet during the molding process when air is actually trapped inside, it doesn't do anything for the ride.

You're going to need to explain this, it is really confusing when saying trapped air softens the ride, yet when the air is trapped during the molding process it doesn't do anything for the ride.

Really very confusing, does the air in fact soften the ride, or does it not soften the ride? What happens when the air is removed so as the now solid rubber tire can give the same ride as the tire that once had the air pocket?

The company OTR that is the leader in this industry; from your example only needs to make the solid tire I showed in the picture example, if your theory is correct. Why in fact would they put an air cavity into a tire if is has no use?
Old 06-07-2013, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
This is somewhat confusing, "the air inside doesn't do anything for the ride"...it is just a way to construct the tires so that they have some sidewall flex to soften the ride." These statements seem to be contradicting each other as stated, they construct the tires with air inside to soften the ride, yet during the molding process when air is actually trapped inside, it doesn't do anything for the ride.

You're going to need to explain this, it is really confusing when saying trapped air softens the ride, yet when the air is trapped during the molding process it doesn't do anything for the ride.

Really very confusing, does the air in fact soften the ride, or does it not soften the ride? What happens when the air is removed so as the now solid rubber tire can give the same ride as the tire that once had the air pocket?

The company OTR that is the leader in this industry; from your example only needs to make the solid tire I showed in the picture example, if your theory is correct. Why in fact would they put an air cavity into a tire if is has no use?
I think you are simply misreading me, either that or just itching to go tonight.

I said, the trapped air doesn't do anything for the ride, which it really doesn't since it isn't pressurized. It is simply trapped in there during the manu process. You could remove most of the air inside the tire and still get pretty much the same ride. Obviously there would have to be some air in there or else you'd have a true vacume and the sidewalls would get sucked inward.

Then I said, the construction (meaning with the hollow center) is just a way to make the sidewalls perform as intended by flexing to soften the ride. A solid tire would not allow for ANY flexing like a hollow tire would/does. That is also true, and this Exmark display I have been referring to was explained in the same way by their rep at the openhouse.

Last edited by Ridin' Green; 06-07-2013 at 10:14 PM.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Well, the eXmark flat free casters are VERY FAR from a soft ride!

I don't know which type I have, but soft and smooth were obviously not part of their (eXmarks) intentions.
2006 Hustler SuperZ 28EFI 60" Power Chute Design OCDC SOLD!
Perma-green Magnum
1996 48" SCAG Belt WB 14hp Kawasaki Classic Deck
Echo 2 strokes PB-755 & SRM 280
Eastman WM20H 20" Commercial Push mower (NEW for 2013)
Commercial Lawnboy trim mower 3-FOR SALE!http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=424203
Solo since 1980