Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #271  
Old 06-12-2013, 08:12 PM
puppypaws's Avatar
puppypaws puppypaws is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Marshville,NC 28103
Posts: 7,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
I dont understand either! But Kohler will most likely be getting my business. And Im a big kawi fan...
Posted via Mobile Device
Kawasaki has a good DFI system, but from all the information I've gathered the closed loop is supposedly more efficient. I talked with Bobcat today and it was again verified the fuel numbers they saw from their own testing on the FX1000V-DFI was in the 1.3 and sometimes lower range. I would honestly have never believed it could drop that much, but this is what I was told. I wish someone running the 37 DFI would come in and give us their real life numbers.
__________________
Farm Mower
Reply With Quote
  #272  
Old 06-12-2013, 08:21 PM
TLS's Avatar
TLS TLS is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: N&W Philadelphia Suburbs
Posts: 7,938
Everyone has their favorite brand of engine.

But ever since this FX series came out, I was not impressed with the valve train noise. I've demo'd 4 different machines with this FX series engine. From brand new demo'd to over a thousand hours one the same machine. They all sounded loose and rattley. Like an old VW bug engine. Maybe it's a characteristic of this series?
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #273  
Old 06-12-2013, 08:25 PM
TLS's Avatar
TLS TLS is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: N&W Philadelphia Suburbs
Posts: 7,938
Puppy,

If I'm getting those #'s with mine, why couldn't the Kawi?

They likely use a speed density tune that uses set parameters dependent on rpm. While not as precise as an O2 sensor EFI, they probably have it dialed in pretty good.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #274  
Old 06-12-2013, 08:49 PM
GMLC's Avatar
GMLC GMLC is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 4,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLS View Post
Everyone has their favorite brand of engine.

But ever since this FX series came out, I was not impressed with the valve train noise. I've demo'd 4 different machines with this FX series engine. From brand new demo'd to over a thousand hours one the same machine. They all sounded loose and rattley. Like an old VW bug engine. Maybe it's a characteristic of this series?
Posted via Mobile Device
Thats kawi's solid lifter noise. Sounds like crap but very dependable. I use Amsoil small engine oil and it has drastically reduced the "clatter".
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #275  
Old 06-12-2013, 09:01 PM
puppypaws's Avatar
puppypaws puppypaws is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Marshville,NC 28103
Posts: 7,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLS View Post
Puppy,

If I'm getting those #'s with mine, why couldn't the Kawi?

They likely use a speed density tune that uses set parameters dependent on rpm. While not as precise as an O2 sensor EFI, they probably have it dialed in pretty good.
Posted via Mobile Device
I would say they have definitely made changes, they were not this efficient a while back. I've actually talked with people that said they could see very little savings with their DFI, especially the 29's they put on Scag TT's for a while. That (according to rep) is when people began realizing they were spending a great deal more money for the liquid cooled DFI while being short on power, and not realizing a big savings in fuel. This is when the 35 Vanguard began it's role as big dog on the TT's block.

Kawasaki also told me quite a while back they were going to implement the E-Governor on their big blocks, why they have not completed this task, which would definitely help, is beyond me.
__________________
Farm Mower
Reply With Quote
  #276  
Old 06-12-2013, 09:05 PM
LifeBack Lawns's Avatar
LifeBack Lawns LifeBack Lawns is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
Thats kawi's solid lifter noise. Sounds like crap but very dependable. I use Amsoil small engine oil and it has drastically reduced the "clatter".
Posted via Mobile Device
Do you get that online or locally?
Reply With Quote
  #277  
Old 06-12-2013, 09:24 PM
GMLC's Avatar
GMLC GMLC is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 4,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropctony View Post
Do you get that online or locally?
Amsoil website.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #278  
Old 06-12-2013, 10:45 PM
Ridin' Green Ridin' Green is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 8,708
I must be more deaf than I even realized, because I don't hear the lifter noise that TLS mentions from time to time. Not saying it isn't there, but I don't hear anything different than what my Kohlers sounded like. My FX sounds just about the exact same to me as my last two Kohlers did. I can hear noises on the machine with my muffs on that I can't hear with the naked ear, but both engines sound the same to me. My Kawi's have always had a raspier sounding exhaust note than my Kohlers, but I kinda like that.
Reply With Quote
  #279  
Old 06-13-2013, 05:27 PM
GMLC's Avatar
GMLC GMLC is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 4,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
I must be more deaf than I even realized, because I don't hear the lifter noise that TLS mentions from time to time. Not saying it isn't there, but I don't hear anything different than what my Kohlers sounded like. My FX sounds just about the exact same to me as my last two Kohlers did. I can hear noises on the machine with my muffs on that I can't hear with the naked ear, but both engines sound the same to me. My Kawi's have always had a raspier sounding exhaust note than my Kohlers, but I kinda like that.
It really isnt that noticable. Im in tune from my performance engine days. Chevy 327 with solid lifters. No valve float and could turn 8000 rpm! But it needed the rockers adjusted every 3000 miles or it would get noisy and break rocker arm studs. I eventually went to screw in studs which were a breeze to replace.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #280  
Old 06-13-2013, 07:50 PM
puppypaws's Avatar
puppypaws puppypaws is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Marshville,NC 28103
Posts: 7,785
This is a Scag TT with almost 600 hrs...I was extremely surprised to see the deck bent on this mower, I honestly see no way possible to bend my Super Z deck, that is unless you dropped it off a bridge, and I'm not sure it would bend from that.

You always hear the Scag TT is built like a tank, well as you can see this deck is not nearly as strong as I have been made to believe.

This is the Advantage, not the Velocity Plus deck, but if you watch the discharge, you can see small clumps being thrown out, and by looking at the tires one can see the grass is perfectly dry, definitely not a Velocity Plus deck discharge.

The mower looks to be in excellent shape, if anyone has an idea of how a deck supposedly this strong can be bent in this design, I would love to hear your thoughs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TL5Mlkww6tQ
__________________
Farm Mower
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:50 PM.

Page generated in 0.08310 seconds with 8 queries