Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-13-2013, 09:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

That's all that guy does is sell used machines on the net. he has adds alll over the place.

If you are talking about the bend at the left end, for one thing, it doesn't have the welded wear bat that many machines do. It is a 7 guage deck though, and it looks to me likesomeone either rna over a log that got caught iin there and bent it, or someone slid it down a hill sideways and snagged it. It is also missing the left front caster wheel, and the mount for it is bent. The machine has been touched up with paint. there's over spray everywhere, especially the front tires, but on the rears slightly arouind the rim and on the hseet metal elsewhere that i noticed.

As far as bending an SZ deck, sure you can if you are talking about the skirting, though having the welded wear bar like most Z's have on that side would probably have helped prevent, or at least minimize the damage that deck received. It depends on what part of the deck gets damaged, and how, but I know it can happen. I've seen it in person a couple years back when I was looking at them at the dealership.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:06 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
This is a Scag TT with almost 600 hrs...I was extremely surprised to see the deck bent on this mower, I honestly see no way possible to bend my Super Z deck, that is unless you dropped it off a bridge, and I'm not sure it would bend from that.

You always hear the Scag TT is built like a tank, well as you can see this deck is not nearly as strong as I have been made to believe.

This is the Advantage, not the Velocity Plus deck, but if you watch the discharge, you can see small clumps being thrown out, and by looking at the tires one can see the grass is perfectly dry, definitely not a Velocity Plus deck discharge.

The mower looks to be in excellent shape, if anyone has an idea of how a deck supposedly this strong can be bent in this design, I would love to hear your thoughs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TL5Mlkww6tQ
Employees....curb hopping, droping off trailer, who knows. Those guys buy junk mowers and repaint them with new decals to sell them. I bet that mower has 2000+ hours on it. Even the oil filter looked dented!!

I owned several Scags with the advantage deck. Needless to say I wasnt impressed. Although in their time they were considered good.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-13-2013, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Member

I saw yours GMLC and thought it would be a cool idea with tons of moisture to do the same shots. So the Exmarks clump in these conditions? Also, this customer only wants a cut and nothing more (notice the many weeds especially clover).
Attached Images

Old 06-14-2013, 02:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Has a very small chute opening, I duno if that's part of the catching system. But Im wondering if the deck is set up for catching, there could be a baffle fitted inside to create more velocity, that might be contributing to the clumps coming out like that. May not be a baffle in there at all, just a thought.

Regarding bending a mower deck, Ive done that, its not all that hard if your using a mower all day every day your bound to hit something you didn't intend on hitting eventually! In my case I was going too quick beside a fence line with concrete posts & was not watching the trim side for a moment, just caught the edge of the concrete post but it was enough to stop the ZTR and lift the rear wheels of the ground. This is one reason I really liked the look of the VX4 deck, built very strong.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:00 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropctony View Post
I saw yours GMLC and thought it would be a cool idea with tons of moisture to do the same shots. So the Exmarks clump in these conditions? Also, this customer only wants a cut and nothing more (notice the many weeds especially clover).
Looks great. Hard to beat the Velocity in wet conditions. Yes an Exmark would have clumped bad in those conditions. I have a few LCO friends that still run Exmarks and Im trying to get them to let me get some pics of them mowing in wet conditions, or even better side by side with me. No luck yet...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-14-2013, 08:43 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenology View Post
Has a very small chute opening, I duno if that's part of the catching system. But Im wondering if the deck is set up for catching, there could be a baffle fitted inside to create more velocity, that might be contributing to the clumps coming out like that. May not be a baffle in there at all, just a thought.

Regarding bending a mower deck, Ive done that, its not all that hard if your using a mower all day every day your bound to hit something you didn't intend on hitting eventually! In my case I was going too quick beside a fence line with concrete posts & was not watching the trim side for a moment, just caught the edge of the concrete post but it was enough to stop the ZTR and lift the rear wheels of the ground. This is one reason I really liked the look of the VX4 deck, built very strong.
I understand your cut and ride issues with the Hustler Super Z, but I can guarantee you could do the very exact same thing that bent the deck you were speaking of, and it would not have phased the Super Z deck.

I honestly have no idea how you could bend a Super Z deck. I was running probably 6 mph on a friend's property that was in the hospital, and one of the reasons I was running slower was because of being afraid of what may have been hiding in the tall junk I was cutting along a wood line.

I hit a cedar (very hard wood, will not rot out) stump that had been cut, it was about 10" across and standing about 10" tall. I hit the stump just left of center (disintegrated one scalp wheel) so hard, had it not been for the steering levers it would have thrown me off the mower, the steering levers really hurt and bruised me up badly. It knocked the breath out of me and addled my head somewhat, I sat in the seat dazed for what was probably 30 seconds.

The first thought I could process was, there was definitely damage done, but how much, I was hating to see what the deck looked like. I honestly felt it could have torn the deck off the mower, that's how hard I hit. I stepped off the machine and began looking, and other than the scalp wheel, I could not see, and I mean at all, where the deck had been touched. I started walking around the deck and mower for a closer inspection because I kept telling myself, this is not possible, there has to be damage somewhere on the deck or mower. I have yet to see or find anything relating to damage caused by what felt to me like a pretty severe accident, especially the next morning when I tried to get out of bed.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:15 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

puppy,

glad you weren't hurt in that collision, and we all know you love the SZ, but come on, lets be realistic. If you'd have snagged or jammed something into the side or rear skirt in an area where there was no wear bar for added strength, or all that added webbing up front, the skirt would bend just the same. Both decks are 7 gauge side skirting as are most all commercial Z's made today. Do you believe Hustler uses a better grade of steel in their decks than everyone else?
Old 06-14-2013, 09:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
I understand your cut and ride issues with the Hustler Super Z, but I can guarantee you could do the very exact same thing that bent the deck you were speaking of, and it would not have phased the Super Z deck.

I honestly have no idea how you could bend a Super Z deck. I was running probably 6 mph on a friend's property that was in the hospital, and one of the reasons I was running slower was because of being afraid of what may have been hiding in the tall junk I was cutting along a wood line.

I hit a cedar (very hard wood, will not rot out) stump that had been cut, it was about 10" across and standing about 10" tall. I hit the stump just left of center (disintegrated one scalp wheel) so hard, had it not been for the steering levers it would have thrown me off the mower, the steering levers really hurt and bruised me up badly. It knocked the breath out of me and addled my head somewhat, I sat in the seat dazed for what was probably 30 seconds.

The first thought I could process was, there was definitely damage done, but how much, I was hating to see what the deck looked like. I honestly felt it could have torn the deck off the mower, that's how hard I hit. I stepped off the machine and began looking, and other than the scalp wheel, I could not see, and I mean at all, where the deck had been touched. I started walking around the deck and mower for a closer inspection because I kept telling myself, this is not possible, there has to be damage somewhere on the deck or mower. I have yet to see or find anything relating to damage caused by what felt to me like a pretty severe accident, especially the next morning when I tried to get out of bed.
Yea I agree with you, that's one thing I really liked about the VX4 deck was how strong it was built. As I knew how easy it was to hit something hard and bend a mower deck. I've already hit some things quite hard with the VX4 & not had any problems at all.

If I eventually get an iCD deck, I will need to be as careful as I can!
Old 06-14-2013, 09:59 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

ProStreet, Any word on the flat free front tires? Have they indeed been changed?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-14-2013, 10:02 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:

Im glad you were ok! That could have turned ugly. I wish I got a look under the VX4 deck when I had a chance. Do you believe this is where most of the super z's extra weight comes from? The rest of the machine is well built but IMO not anymore than other industrial grade machines.
Posted via Mobile Device