Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-06-2013, 12:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
Actually I rarely have to scrape my deck. It self cleans very well and doesn't pack much at all. I hope the new one does the same.
I rarely clean underside of my deck either. Usually only when I change blades, apart from that they do clean themselves in dry conditions.

Much appreciated! Yes one more pic from down at the chute level looking in will be great, once you get the mower back and when you get the time no rush, cheers!
Old 05-06-2013, 03:10 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Deck scrape after (I think) 3 lawns. All from the bain of my existance, Funnel Ants! I curse you little suckers!
No self cleaning here!
Attached Images

Old 05-06-2013, 03:33 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Man that sucks, Ive only ever scraped dried grass from around the spindles & some buildup in the antiscalp rollers.

Have you tried using the spray for anti stick, see whether it will prevent it building up for you? Probably not worth spending the money, how often would you need to scrape like this?
Old 05-06-2013, 04:18 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Rain makes the Funnel Ants build up there mounds and is good way to tell if we're going to get a lot of rain, they build them up before the rain. Can be thousands of them on an acre. If the mound gets wet, the soil sticks to the deck, simple as that! Ive had it build up so bad that it started wearing down the sail on the blades. I reckon it can add 15+kg to the deck making it much harder to lift!
Last 12mths Ive been spraying, dosing the little buggers off my own property. I hate the little fxxkers!

Pic below shows just a small area of the ant nests (after mowing) in red volcanic clay. Just a nightmare!

Im not a fan of all the bolts etc on this Gravely deck but that rear of chute and turbo baffle has me convinced I was on the right track. The Gravely looks a smaller chute though and the front baffle/skirt is different but still, the similarities are there!

Anyway, dont want to hijack this thread.
Attached Images

Old 05-06-2013, 04:23 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenology View Post
Man that sucks, Ive only ever scraped dried grass from around the spindles & some buildup in the antiscalp rollers.

Have you tried using the spray for anti stick, see whether it will prevent it building up for you? Probably not worth spending the money, how often would you need to scrape like this?
Depends on the weather. If we have any rain Im scraping every day with blade sharpening etc. If its dry I dont have any problems.
I dont believe any spray will help with build up. Ive tried wd40 before but pointless when its wet. If clippings, soil sand etc can wear off power coat, how is a thin layer of oil going to last more than a few seconds?
Old 05-06-2013, 05:06 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickhippy View Post
Depends on the weather. If we have any rain Im scraping every day with blade sharpening etc. If its dry I dont have any problems.
I dont believe any spray will help with build up. Ive tried wd40 before but pointless when its wet. If clippings, soil sand etc can wear off power coat, how is a thin layer of oil going to last more than a few seconds?
Yea that stuff is probably a gimmick. Re: the ants - I thought it was annoying how they dig the sand from between the pavers, now it doesn't seem so bad
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-06-2013, 05:17 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Mick, I think the super large opening of the VX4 may not create enough Venturi effect and the clippings just aren't moving fast enough at the rear to get past this area quick enough.

On a side note, the king of cuts SCAG has a lot of bolts and grass grabbing plates ect, so I guess it's not as big of an issue like some of us think.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-06-2013, 05:20 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLS View Post
Mick, I think the super large opening of the VX4 may not create enough Venturi effect and the clippings just aren't moving fast enough at the rear to get past this area quick enough.
Ive actually tried closing off some of the chute by about 3" and still got the clumping on the back edge. It also choked up the deck in longer grass.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:54 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickhippy View Post
Rain makes the Funnel Ants build up there mounds and is good way to tell if we're going to get a lot of rain, they build them up before the rain. Can be thousands of them on an acre. If the mound gets wet, the soil sticks to the deck, simple as that! Ive had it build up so bad that it started wearing down the sail on the blades. I reckon it can add 15+kg to the deck making it much harder to lift!
Last 12mths Ive been spraying, dosing the little buggers off my own property. I hate the little fxxkers!

Pic below shows just a small area of the ant nests (after mowing) in red volcanic clay. Just a nightmare!

Im not a fan of all the bolts etc on this Gravely deck but that rear of chute and turbo baffle has me convinced I was on the right track. The Gravely looks a smaller chute though and the front baffle/skirt is different but still, the similarities are there!

Anyway, dont want to hijack this thread.
Funnel Ants, very interesting, but believe me you had much rather deal with those than the Fire Ants we contend with. You've got Red Fire Ants in Australia, but evidently they must not have moved into your area, and you best hope they don't. The nest may not be quite as concentrated as with the Funnel Ants, but Fire Ants build them so wide and tall you need to take your front wheel and spin it around over the nest to flatten it enabling you to mow over the mound. I've seen them 15" tall, and covering an area 3' across. People that do not treat can lose newborn calves in pastureland that is severely infested.

If for some reason you hit one of the big mounds by accident at the faster speeds I mow, you will think it is going to kill the engine, and part of the mound filled with Fire Ants will come onto the foot pan and cover your legs, and believe me, if you've never been bitten by a Fire Ant, extreme pain with a sensation of fire burning is the only way to describe it. A bee, hornet or wasp sting feels like a mosquito compared to a Fire Ant bite . The bite will form a pustule that lasts and hurts for days.

The venom injected by a Fire Ant is alkaline, meaning if you apply vinegar as quickly as possible; the acidity with neutralize the Fire Ant venom, and it's amazing how well it works. Many people are severely allergic to Fire Ant bites and have died as a result, the venom can actually stop them from breathing.
Attached Images

Old 05-09-2013, 11:22 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
Actually I rarely have to scrape my deck. It self cleans very well and doesn't pack much at all. I hope the new one does the same.

Same here the original xfactor deck self cleans.
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)