Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-14-2013, 05:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
I guess the pics must be deceiving. Because in person there appears to be a ton of cast iron on the machine. Dont let all the plastic fool you. Under it all was a very solid machine. It made the Exmarks look like tooth pics.
Posted via Mobile Device
It may be deceiving, but look at the difference in deck strength, castor strength, fork strength, front tires, scalp wheel mounting strength, and seat. I do see what you are saying about the plastic making it look so cheap, but that very well can reduce weight which in the long-run may be better.

In all honesty does the Hustler not look by far much stronger in build?
Old 06-14-2013, 05:31 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
It may be deceiving, but look at the difference in deck strength, castor strength, fork strength, front tires, scalp wheel mounting strength, and seat. I do see what you are saying about the plastic making it look so cheap, but that very well can reduce weight which in the long-run may be better.

In all honesty does the Hustler not look by far much stronger in build?
Ill be honest. The Super Z looks like a cleaner build. I would have to operate both and compare side by side to determine which is stronger. The JD front end and casters to me looked like solid cast iron.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-14-2013, 05:42 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Now this front end and frame are massive!!!! Brand war....
Attached Images

Old 06-14-2013, 06:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Gee it would be nice to mow with a cabin like the 1545 all day! If only the cab came with a button to make it disappear before a tree branch smashes through the window & magically re-appears for open areas. No more dust & probably even air conditioning.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Now this front end and frame are massive!!!! Brand war....
The Gravely deck, forks and tires make this mower look far superior in build than that of the Deere, would you not agree?

Old 06-14-2013, 06:42 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
The Gravely deck, forks and tires make this mower look far superior in build than that of the Deere, would you not agree?

They(Hustler and Gravely)may "Look" beefier but are they really? Car, truck, and tractor steering knuckles are cast and extremely strong. Ridin would know much more about the Deere build than I.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-14-2013, 07:08 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Ridin, I saw a few different Deeres today(950 was one I believe)that I could not take pics of. I believe I saw 3 different 7 iron decks? A stamped version, a fabricated, and one that looked like a combination of stamped and fabricated? All felt like 7 guage steel to me. JD has a unique build that I have never seen in other ZTR's. Looks like a lot of tractor technology to me. I guess Kubota would be the most similar in design.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-14-2013, 07:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
They(Hustler and Gravely)may "Look" beefier but are they really? Car, truck, and tractor steering knuckles are cast and extremely strong. Ridin would know much more about the Deere build than I.
Posted via Mobile Device
It could be one of those "most pleasing to the eye deals," the same as some like blonds, and some like brunettes...
Old 06-14-2013, 07:12 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
It could be one of those "most pleasing to the eye deals," the same as some like blonds, and some like brunettes...
Could be. Please dont get me wrong. That Super Z I saw in person was built awesome! I said it myself, its one of the few commercial mowers I put in my own classification of "industrial quality". Is JD there too? May very well be but I dont know enough about the technology but my gut feeling is yes.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by GMLC; 06-14-2013 at 07:17 PM.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

puppy, you're always tooting your own horn about Hustler, but enough is enough. No Deere probably isn't the best built mower today, but IMHO, it is every bit as well made as Hustler. I have looked at them in person and I looked carefully before chunking down that much cash. I'll take my supposedly inferior Deere over your Hustler any day. At least it doesn't clump in the wet or in northern turf grasses. I have no idea what the heck you are chattering on bout the forks, castor's etc being cheaper/smaller on the Deere. That's BS plain and simple. It's not just cast iron, it's nodular cast iron and it is some tough stuff. I'd put the front caster arms and forks against those Hustler forks and caster arms any day, and I do mean any day. You obviously have no experience with them, so why run them down? Trying to cheap shot me? Go for it. As for your superior Hustler, well, let's see, The 60" SZ runs about 1515 lbs, and that is with the heavier blocked 35 Kawi vs my 27 Kawi. My machine weighs 1430 lbs. So, when you take away all the unnecessary added weight in the VX4 deck, and discount the added 20 or so pounds for the larger engine you have, there's little to choose from, and since mine is made of "cheap" plastic, to be that close in weight, I must have a superior frame. The frame is a massive C channel like a truck frame, and is very thick. Hustler doesn't have anything on Deere there either.

I can go on, but I am guessing you're smart enough to get the point.