Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #311  
Old 06-14-2013, 10:24 PM
Ridin' Green Ridin' Green is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 8,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
Ridin, I saw a few different Deeres today(950 was one I believe)that I could not take pics of. I believe I saw 3 different 7 iron decks? A stamped version, a fabricated, and one that looked like a combination of stamped and fabricated? All felt like 7 guage steel to me. JD has a unique build that I have never seen in other ZTR's. Looks like a lot of tractor technology to me. I guess Kubota would be the most similar in design.
Posted via Mobile Device
GMLC-
the only 7 Iron deck are the stamped ones. I knowo they make a fabbed rear discharge deck that is 7 gauge or heavier for some of the bigger machines like the 997 and I think the 1400/1500 series.

Yes, Deere does incorporate a lot of their tractor technology in their ZTR's. In fact,, their new flex forks are based on their suspended and independant front axles in the mechanical FWD farm tractors.
The forks are easily as strong as anything on the market today. If boxed steel were the strongest design, all the ag tractor manu's would use it instead of what? Wait for it..........CAST IRON.
Reply With Quote
  #312  
Old 06-14-2013, 11:22 PM
LifeBack Lawns's Avatar
LifeBack Lawns LifeBack Lawns is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
ProStreet, Any word on the flat free front tires? Have they indeed been changed?
Posted via Mobile Device
Are run flats the way to go? I have done a few properties and picked up a button tap nail, some foreign metal object and found a spindle off a porch in a foot of grass sticking straight up replacing the tube in the front caster three times already. Are they fairly comfortable as well or still kind of rough? What do you guys find for psi front to back?
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #313  
Old 06-14-2013, 11:23 PM
INlawncare INlawncare is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: IN
Posts: 45
Gravely

I have to say the Gravely is starting to fill a lot of trailers here in my area. My only complaint about the Gravely is the 2yr warranty on the machine. To me 3 to 5yr is what I'd expect out of a commercial mower. But that is the only thing I can complain about this mower. Built like a tank in my opinion and very very good QOC.
Reply With Quote
  #314  
Old 06-14-2013, 11:38 PM
GMLC's Avatar
GMLC GMLC is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 4,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropctony View Post
Are run flats the way to go? I have done a few properties and picked up a button tap nail, some foreign metal object and found a spindle off a porch in a foot of grass sticking straight up replacing the tube in the front caster three times already. Are they fairly comfortable as well or still kind of rough? What do you guys find for psi front to back?
Posted via Mobile Device
I love my no flats. They feel like 6-7 psi. I run 10-12 psi in the rear. Here is more info on the no flat front tires.

http://www.gravely.com/en-us/more/pages/blog.aspx
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #315  
Old 06-14-2013, 11:41 PM
GMLC's Avatar
GMLC GMLC is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 4,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by INlawncare View Post
I have to say the Gravely is starting to fill a lot of trailers here in my area. My only complaint about the Gravely is the 2yr warranty on the machine. To me 3 to 5yr is what I'd expect out of a commercial mower. But that is the only thing I can complain about this mower. Built like a tank in my opinion and very very good QOC.
The Gravely 400 series has a 3 year warranty and lifetime frame and deck.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #316  
Old 06-14-2013, 11:42 PM
LifeBack Lawns's Avatar
LifeBack Lawns LifeBack Lawns is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
I'm sorry, but this mower really looks cheaply built, like something you would buy from a box store. Maybe it's just the design change, but they definitely look much cheaper than the older Deere design. It looks like a toy beside the much stronger built Super Z. I think anyone that speaks truthfully must admit to that.



Do you even mow with your super z or does it sit in your garage? I mean it is way too clean to be an everyday mower.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #317  
Old 06-14-2013, 11:45 PM
GMLC's Avatar
GMLC GMLC is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 4,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
GMLC-
the only 7 Iron deck are the stamped ones. I knowo they make a fabbed rear discharge deck that is 7 gauge or heavier for some of the bigger machines like the 997 and I think the 1400/1500 series.

Yes, Deere does incorporate a lot of their tractor technology in their ZTR's. In fact,, their new flex forks are based on their suspended and independant front axles in the mechanical FWD farm tractors.
The forks are easily as strong as anything on the market today. If boxed steel were the strongest design, all the ag tractor manu's would use it instead of what? Wait for it..........CAST IRON.
Thanks Ridin! My gut usually serves me well and I thought there was some technology behind these unique designs. Now I just need to try one. I have seen the amazing 7 iron cut many times right next to some of my accounts!
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #318  
Old 06-14-2013, 11:53 PM
GMLC's Avatar
GMLC GMLC is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 4,367
Ridin, What are the differences between the 7iron, 7iron II, and 7iron pro?
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #319  
Old 06-14-2013, 11:58 PM
DA Quality Lawn & YS's Avatar
DA Quality Lawn & YS DA Quality Lawn & YS is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Rochester, MN
Posts: 7,962
I don't think you can even buy a Deere today with the old straight 7 Iron Deck anymore.
__________________
7x14 Stealth SE Enclosed with 48" side ramp
08 Toro Z400 48" deck, 21HP Kaw with EZ Vac twin bag
09 Exmark Turf Tracer HP 36"
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Reply With Quote
  #320  
Old 06-15-2013, 12:25 AM
Ridin' Green Ridin' Green is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 8,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
Ridin, What are the differences between the 7iron, 7iron II, and 7iron pro?
Posted via Mobile Device
The original 7 Iron was on the older 700 series machines up until about 2006 IIRC, then the 7 Iron II came out. The biggest difference is that the II version has higher BTS than the original.

The Pro deck has casters at all four corners and in the rear center on non MOD decks, while the II version has them at front/center and front corners. The Pro has a metal step instead of the non skid tape like the II version, and the Pro model has a flat wear bar, while the II version has the round wear bar. The front baffle is ever so slightly different on the Pro model, but is is so slight as to not be an issue.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:15 PM.

Page generated in 0.08257 seconds with 8 queries