Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-15-2013, 01:27 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA Quality Lawn & YS View Post
I don't think you can even buy a Deere today with the old straight 7 Iron Deck anymore.
At least not a ZTR. I believe that the 7 Iron's they use on their HD garden tractors and CUT's/SCUT's is the original version, albeit they are a tunnel deck instead of a flat deck.
Old 06-15-2013, 01:36 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
Thanks Ridin! My gut usually serves me well and I thought there was some technology behind these unique designs. Now I just need to try one. I have seen the amazing 7 iron cut many times right next to some of my accounts!
Posted via Mobile Device
GMLC,
my desire to go to Gravely is largely because they of how they take care of their customers, or for that matter, their potential customers. I have always loved the way that Deere decks cut over the years, even their old low tech designs cut great. I absolutely despise Deere corporate though. They are a bunch of arrogant and greedy SOB's. For instance, the new 900 M,B,R's have a totally different seat pan from last years 900 series like mine, so I can't just buy the suspension seat and bolt it on. That's just corporate greed pure and simple. They do that crap all the time. It may make them money doing things that way, but it is losing them customers, because I am not the only one who is sick of that kind of nonsense. I could see a difference if we were talking about going from an older 757 or something, but we're talking one model year, and they look almost identical.
Old 06-15-2013, 08:19 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
puppy, you're always tooting your own horn about Hustler, but enough is enough. No Deere probably isn't the best built mower today, but IMHO, it is every bit as well made as Hustler. I have looked at them in person and I looked carefully before chunking down that much cash. I'll take my supposedly inferior Deere over your Hustler any day. At least it doesn't clump in the wet or in northern turf grasses. I have no idea what the heck you are chattering on bout the forks, castor's etc being cheaper/smaller on the Deere. That's BS plain and simple. It's not just cast iron, it's nodular cast iron and it is some tough stuff. I'd put the front caster arms and forks against those Hustler forks and caster arms any day, and I do mean any day. You obviously have no experience with them, so why run them down? Trying to cheap shot me? Go for it. As for your superior Hustler, well, let's see, The 60" SZ runs about 1515 lbs, and that is with the heavier blocked 35 Kawi vs my 27 Kawi. My machine weighs 1430 lbs. So, when you take away all the unnecessary added weight in the VX4 deck, and discount the added 20 or so pounds for the larger engine you have, there's little to choose from, and since mine is made of "cheap" plastic, to be that close in weight, I must have a superior frame. The frame is a massive C channel like a truck frame, and is very thick. Hustler doesn't have anything on Deere there either.

I can go on, but I am guessing you're smart enough to get the point.
Why would you get so excited over something so immaterial, you certainly went into a great deal of detail to explain nothing, don't get so worked up.

You can take 100 people and line them up in file to view a new 900 series JD, or a new Super Z HD, and 90 out of the 100 will tell you the Hustler in their eyes is a better built and cleaner designed mower.

This is not "tooting a horn," but only stating a see-able fact, don't get so offensive, we're talking about a mower, not your wife or girlfriend...lol...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropctony View Post
Do you even mow with your super z or does it sit in your garage? I mean it is way too clean to be an everyday mower.
This picture was within 5 minutes of when it was delivered new...meaning if you don't have a clue of what you're talking about, it's best not to make yourself appear too ignorant...
Old 06-15-2013, 08:31 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
Why would you get so excited over something so immaterial, you certainly went into a great deal of detail to explain nothing, don't get so worked up.

You can take 100 people and line them up in file to view a new 900 series JD, or a new Super Z HD, and 90 out of the 100 will tell you the Hustler in their eyes is a better built and cleaner designed mower.

This is not "tooting a horn," but only stating a see-able fact, don't get so offensive, we're talking about a mower, not your wife or girlfriend...lol...
I'm not JD fan myself simply because I don't like the stereotypes down here and how everyone has one and it is the "country" thing to do, but ridin' has given me a better view of them.

No offense to you puppy, but you sure are tainting North Carolinians and painting a bad picture. Yeah sure I was born and raised, but it doesn't mean I am proud of the state. I mean a lot I people probably think now, from what I hear, oh they are slow, stubborn and ignorant close minded people. Everyone has their brand they prefer, but to go on and on pushing SZ is the best or to go in a thread just to get people going is silly. Let me guess....you love it hot and humid hating the cold and snow and can't stand Cary people. Am I right?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-15-2013, 10:01 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
I'm not JD fan myself simply because I don't like the stereotypes down here and how everyone has one and it is the "country" thing to do, but ridin' has given me a better view of them.

No offense to you puppy, but you sure are tainting North Carolinians and painting a bad picture. Yeah sure I was born and raised, but it doesn't mean I am proud of the state. I mean a lot I people probably think now, from what I hear, oh they are slow, stubborn and ignorant close minded people. Everyone has their brand they prefer, but to go on and on pushing SZ is the best or to go in a thread just to get people going is silly. Let me guess....you love it hot and humid hating the cold and snow and can't stand Cary people. Am I right?
Posted via Mobile Device
I've never said the SZ was best in all cutting situations, because no mower is, the SZ in my area is far more productive, gives a more than satisfactory cut in the grasses we deal with, the mower rides extremely well, only second to a Ferris 3100 in wash board type terrain, has a build and clean design second to none, and its ease of maintenance is second to none.

The statement you made about being born and raised, but not meaning you are proud of the state is somewhat confusing. I honestly don't understand why you would not be proud of NC, that is unless you have developed an inferiority complex from watching Andy Griffith over the years.

The statement, "you love it hot and humid hating the cold and snow and can't stand Cary people," is somewhat confusing as well. I just so happen to own a house in Willow Springs, NC (not far from Cary) and really like the people in that area, if you were speaking of Chapel Hill, my response may be somewhat different...lol
Old 06-15-2013, 10:23 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
I've never said the SZ was best in all cutting situations, because no mower is, the SZ in my area is far more productive, gives a more than satisfactory cut in the grasses we deal with, the mower rides extremely well, only second to a Ferris 3100 in wash board type terrain, has a build and clean design second to none, and its ease of maintenance is second to none.

The statement you made about being born and raised, but not meaning you are proud of the state is somewhat confusing. I honestly don't understand why you would not be proud of NC, that is unless you have developed an inferiority complex from watching Andy Griffith over the years.

The statement, "you love it hot and humid hating the cold and snow and can't stand Cary people," is somewhat confusing as well. I just so happen to own a house in Willow Springs, NC (not far from Cary) and really like the people in that area, if you were speaking of Chapel Hill, my response may be somewhat different...lol
Haha. You don't like all the tree huggers and Prius drivers that hold a line of 9 cars up? That town is something else I tell ya.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-15-2013, 11:36 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:

This picture was within 5 minutes of when it was delivered new...meaning if you don't have a clue of what you're talking about, it's best not to make yourself appear too ignorant...
I'm not worked up. I'm just tired of hearing how your SZ is so much better than everyone else's mower. It ain't. When you post nonsense, it needs to be pointed out. You may think that the SZ looks better. I don't. I do like the way the SZ looks very much (except for that rediculous foil on the back, though I know why it's there), but it looks very old school. I happen to like the looks of the Deere that I have very much (last years model). I don't care so much with this years version though. I also like the fact that I can trace a flower bed much closer and easier than you can with the SZ with the same sized deck. Looks don't cut the grass. A well designed machine and a good cutting deck in all conditions do, and the 7 Iron is vastly superior in that regard, especially when you make your living doing it, and not just mow your own place. The ease of maintenance on my machine is every bit as easy as it is on yours, and probably easier. Very, very simple to do.

Last edited by Ridin' Green; 06-15-2013 at 11:40 AM.
Old 06-15-2013, 12:37 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I felt there was some definate trolling last night. Lets see if I can get this thread back on track....
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-15-2013, 12:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
I felt there was some definate trolling last night. Lets see if I can get this thread back on track....
Posted via Mobile Device
What is trolling gmlc? Getting off topic? Your pro turn 452 looks beefy. How do you like the top handles flipping out compared to the whole lever?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-15-2013, 01:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
What is trolling gmlc? Getting off topic? Your pro turn 452 looks beefy. How do you like the top handles flipping out compared to the whole lever?
Posted via Mobile Device
Not just getting off topic, but someone coming on and saying things just to stir the pot or cause an arguement for no reason other than their own satisfaction.

The Gravely's are awesome machines. If you haven't been on one, or had a chance to run one, try to if you can. They cut great, and are very well made machines. My next machine will almost certainly be a Gravely 460. I have ran their Pro Stance stander, and was extremely impressed with it all the way around. Their customer service is far and away the best in the industry right now. The Gravely company is what all others should strive to be.