Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-16-2013, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropctony View Post
Either way, it still looks awesome. I wish I had grass like that. Luckily my ink have dirt in my yard so I can start from scratch. I am lucky there are no weeds and stiff southern grass in my yard. Thanks for the pics and information on your Deere and decks.
Posted via Mobile Device
You're nmore than welcome bro.
I'm not sure what you were trying to say right there in bold?

You don't have any stiff southern grass to cut? I think I'd like to cut it, at least at times. This northern turf is sweet when conditons are good, but when it's a drought like last summer it ia a real PITA to cut cleanly!
Old 06-16-2013, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
And this is why a blanket statement like the super z is hands down the most productive, best riding etc. etc. is crazy. It simply isn't fact, maybe in a niche area. Which is most likely from your dealer being so well liked. Around here the largest and most popular dealer sells more of a brand that isn't even the best for our conditions..
Agree 100% with this. Around here the larges dealer has 3 locations. They have Exmark, Ferris, Snapper Pro and Walker currently. They have had Exmark the longest and it is there go to brand and before Exmark they had Dixie Chopper as there go to brand. Driving around you'll see Exmark outnumbers them 3 to 1 with a lot and I mean a lot of older Dixie Choppers running around.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
And this is why a blanket statement like the super z is hands down the most productive, best riding etc. etc. is crazy. It simply isn't fact, maybe in a niche area. Which is most likely from your dealer being so well liked. Around here the largest and most popular dealer sells more of a brand that isn't even the best for our conditions..
For you to say the south is a niche area is not an accurate statement. There is much more grass cut in the south than the north, due to the fact we have a much longer cutting season.

I've never operated a mower more productive than a Hustler Super Z, but I have operated a mower as productive. For a mower to be as productive it must be able to maintain the same high speed of the SZ while cutting.

I understand that due to cutting smaller areas a large percentage of the time, and with the difference in grass, you people up north can't comprehend a mower cutting at 14 mph + or - and doing a good job.

Hopefully before long I will put a 400 series Gravely side by side with my mower to see (knowing the SZ is faster) exactly how much faster the Super Z actually is. I will also check the Gravely's speed very accurately by distance and time, if the mower is not as fast, it is impossible for it to be as productive where speed can be utilized. I think you will be forced to agree with this statement.

I know without doubt I can cut grass at full speed, and do a very good job. I can also say without operating the mower, that yes, the Gravely will also cut grass at its top speed and do a very good job, but with less production than my Super Z in the areas I cut.

I've operated many different mowers, and have only operated 2 that ride equally as well as the Super Z. The Bad Boy AOS (diesel) which is a heavier mower with four wheel rubber suspension, rides and cuts extremely well at its rated 15 mph. The Ferris 3100 will give the best ride of any mower on the market today, but one must also remember, there is a great deal of difference in how bumps and shock affect a mower running 15 mph, versus the Ferris advertised speed of 12 mph.

I can tell you I have no color preference of mowers, I buy and operate the most productive well suited mower for my cutting situation. I would say that there are many in lawn maintenance in my surrounding area that feel the same way due to the large number of Hustlers I see on trailers, and cutting residential and commercial properties.

Like you say, I've got an exceptional dealer, but this dealer has been selling Gravely longer than Hustler, yet he has only sold around 20% the number of Gravely mowers when comparing to the Hustlers he has sold.

This is itself says a great deal about which people prefer when cutting grass in the south.

If Hustler mowers did not give a satisfactory cut, were not as, or more productive, did not give a satisfactory ride, people did not like the design, build, and ease of maintenance, along with the HD's warranty being superior to any mower manufactured today. If this were not the case, do you believe Gravely would not take Hustler's market share? Remember, the same great dealer is selling both, their is no difference in how the customer would be treated.

What would be your answer to this?
Old 06-16-2013, 11:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
You're nmore than welcome bro.
I'm not sure what you were trying to say right there in bold?

You don't have any stiff southern grass to cut? I think I'd like to cut it, at least at times. This northern turf is sweet when conditons are good, but when it's a drought like last summer it ia a real PITA to cut cleanly!
I'm sorry about the typo. I now am not sure what the autocorrect was. I just moved from 6 acres and barely had time to cut it working 6 days a week sun up to sundown. I am on a 1/2 acre lot now and the rest is woods, so I will be starting fresh . Finally can have the yard I have always wanted. Depends on the area, but a lot here only like cuts and are weed infested. They say oh my grass stays good and green and I look at them and laugh. Most in the area tend to be Bermuda especially in developments, but others have a nice mixture of tall and fine fescue. It is refreshing to see the beautiful, thick, green, lush, fertilized, and storied yards. The southern grass is stiff and the dandelions or plantain buck tail along with a form of meadow grass always have hard stalks and sometimes leave scraggles. Gotta love the henbit in the spring or crabgrass that creeps over the sidewalks and driveways from neglect, but hey keeps us in business. I love hitting a patch of Verdana best. It's sweet fragrance is refreshing than dust, dried of leaves or any other aroma floating around.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-16-2013, 11:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg78 View Post
Agree 100% with this. Around here the larges dealer has 3 locations. They have Exmark, Ferris, Snapper Pro and Walker currently. They have had Exmark the longest and it is there go to brand and before Exmark they had Dixie Chopper as there go to brand. Driving around you'll see Exmark outnumbers them 3 to 1 with a lot and I mean a lot of older Dixie Choppers running around.
Dixie chopper either needs to change their slogan of "the worlds fastest lawn mower" or up the ground speed. If memory serves me correctly it's fastest was 15mph and the cheetah goes 16mph.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-16-2013, 11:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
For you to say the south is a niche area is not an accurate statement. There is much more grass cut in the south than the north, due to the fact we have a much longer cutting season.

I've never operated a mower more productive than a Hustler Super Z, but I have operated a mower as productive. For a mower to be as productive it must be able to maintain the same high speed of the SZ while cutting.

I understand that due to cutting smaller areas a large percentage of the time, and with the difference in grass, you people up north can't comprehend a mower cutting at 14 mph + or - and doing a good job.

Hopefully before long I will put a 400 series Gravely side by side with my mower to see (knowing the SZ is faster) exactly how much faster the Super Z actually is. I will also check the Gravely's speed very accurately by distance and time, if the mower is not as fast, it is impossible for it to be as productive where speed can be utilized. I think you will be forced to agree with this statement.

I know without doubt I can cut grass at full speed, and do a very good job. I can also say without operating the mower, that yes, the Gravely will also cut grass at its top speed and do a very good job, but with less production than my Super Z in the areas I cut.

I've operated many different mowers, and have only operated 2 that ride equally as well as the Super Z. The Bad Boy AOS (diesel) which is a heavier mower with four wheel rubber suspension, rides and cuts extremely well at its rated 15 mph. The Ferris 3100 will give the best ride of any mower on the market today, but one must also remember, there is a great deal of difference in how bumps and shock affect a mower running 15 mph, versus the Ferris advertised speed of 12 mph.

I can tell you I have no color preference of mowers, I buy and operate the most productive well suited mower for my cutting situation. I would say that there are many in lawn maintenance in my surrounding area that feel the same way due to the large number of Hustlers I see on trailers, and cutting residential and commercial properties.

Like you say, I've got an exceptional dealer, but this dealer has been selling Gravely longer than Hustler, yet he has only sold around 20% the number of Gravely mowers when comparing to the Hustlers he has sold.

This is itself says a great deal about which people prefer when cutting grass in the south.

If Hustler mowers did not give a satisfactory cut, were not as, or more productive, did not give a satisfactory ride, people did not like the design, build, and ease of maintenance, along with the HD's warranty being superior to any mower manufactured today. If this were not the case, do you believe Gravely would not take Hustler's market share? Remember, the same great dealer is selling both, their is no difference in how the customer would be treated.

In the triangle and surrounding areas I see primarily Toro, Exmark and John Deere. Few Ferris and Gravely and rarely Scag. The country parts I see a few Dixie Choppers ad grasshoppers. I saw a LCO cutting Home Depots lot one morning with the Dixie chopper eagle, unless labeled wrong, and a hustler walk behind hydro (don't know the model). It left a stripe in the tall fescue, but the slippage were long! He had to double cut while a br600 went to blend in behind him. The Dixie chopper shredded trash and from what I saw was leaving it there for all I know.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-17-2013, 12:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:

You've suggested this quite a few times lately I notice.

What if for argument sake, you took the speed of SZ and Ferris 3100 up to 30MPH. Which one is going to get a better ride over rough ground? Think about it and Id love to hear your thoughts on that. You seem to continually be suggesting that if the Ferris did 15 MPH then it would not necessarily give a better ride than you SZ. I don't want to put words in your mouth but this is the way I understand it when you continue to say as above^

I dunno how accurate the manu figures are on cutting speed, but the Cheetah should cut faster then the SZ & it will definitely have a better ride than the SZ. I demoed the Cheetah this morning & that mono shock is excellent! I think the Cheetah/SZ have been raced cutting side by side, Im not certain. But as I say if the 16mph/15mph statements are accurate, then the Cheetah will be a more productive mower on your farm. Im guessing they aren't accurate though.
Old 06-17-2013, 04:38 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenology View Post
You've suggested this quite a few times lately I notice.

What if for argument sake, you took the speed of SZ and Ferris 3100 up to 30MPH. Which one is going to get a better ride over rough ground? Think about it and Id love to hear your thoughts on that. You seem to continually be suggesting that if the Ferris did 15 MPH then it would not necessarily give a better ride than you SZ. I don't want to put words in your mouth but this is the way I understand it when you continue to say as above^

I dunno how accurate the manu figures are on cutting speed, but the Cheetah should cut faster then the SZ & it will definitely have a better ride than the SZ. I demoed the Cheetah this morning & that mono shock is excellent! I think the Cheetah/SZ have been raced cutting side by side, Im not certain. But as I say if the 16mph/15mph statements are accurate, then the Cheetah will be a more productive mower on your farm. Im guessing they aren't accurate though.
(leaving cut aside) The big difference between the SZ and Cheetah is that there are no gears on the SZ. You can cut at up to top speed where as the Cheetah should be used in low gear leaving high for transport only.

I wouldnt buy a Cheetah for speed, but for comfort! Kinda like a couple women Ive met! ha

Theres a vid on YT with a race between several mowers. Cheetah v SZ in the end! SZ won but the Cheetah, once it got up to speed held its ground.

But its not all about speed so..............
Old 06-17-2013, 05:03 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickhippy View Post
(leaving cut aside) The big difference between the SZ and Cheetah is that there are no gears on the SZ. You can cut at up to top speed where as the Cheetah should be used in low gear leaving high for transport only.

I wouldnt buy a Cheetah for speed, but for comfort! Kinda like a couple women Ive met! ha

Theres a vid on YT with a race between several mowers. Cheetah v SZ in the end! SZ won but the Cheetah, once it got up to speed held its ground.

But its not all about speed so..............
So you mean puppy wouldn't be able to use the high gear & hence the 16MPH on his farm? Why cant the high gear be utilised

I was only referring to the speed topic as conversation with puppy. There's not many places I can cut at those speeds, but its nice to have the speed there for those times!

Yeah comfort is definitely there on the Cheetah. I had only a 10min demo on a surface im not familiar with, but with what I had to work on it definitely felt very good! Similar to shock absorption from rear end of a motocross bike!

As far as the discharge on the deck, well I think that was excellent, but once again I had only 10mins to work with and the grass wasn't particularly long or thick, I could only go by the way the clippings were fanning out & it looked completely diff to the VX4 discharge, in a Very+ way

Anyway Ill email u some pics etc tonight Mick.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:26 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:

Its all what the dealer pushes. Our largest dealer sells a bunch of brands but only pushes Exmark. Wont even talk about the other brands. I didnt mean all of the south is a niche, just your area. Hustler isnt all over the south.

The Super Z may be a couple mph faster than the 400 series but you can toss that right out the window with double or triple cutting.

There are many that perfer the 400 series ride over that of the Ferris, myself included. It will be interesting to see how it does against the super. If all you say about the ride is true.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by GMLC; 06-17-2013 at 06:33 AM.