Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-17-2013, 04:45 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
You don't hear this statement very often, as a matter of fact, I'm not sure I've ever heard anyone say a SZ would be more productive on smaller properties. I do know that even in a 50 to 75' run, I push it to full stick and I'm at the other end ready to turn around in the blink of an eye. I've just never thought about this for the fact of it being such a common practice with me, but in reality I guess it does get to top speed very quickly.

That was a good point you made...
I think the acceleration would be great on smaller properties. My only concerns would be the length and weight? I dont know how the super z is on turf? Or getting in and out of tight areas?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-17-2013, 05:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag360 View Post
Top speed on the cheetah is a true 16 mph by all accounts but we demoed for a day and it wasn't as zippy as the hustler. Hustler SZ was more productive on smaller properties. The cheetah would probably be faster on your property with all the long runs but the heavy controls and super smooth zt5400's encourage you to start up slower than the hustler (both styles) does.
Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
You don't hear this statement very often, as a matter of fact, I'm not sure I've ever heard anyone say a SZ would be more productive on smaller properties. I do know that even in a 50 to 75' run, I push it to full stick and I'm at the other end ready to turn around in the blink of an eye. I've just never thought about this for the fact of it being such a common practice with me, but in reality I guess it does get to top speed very quickly.

That was a good point you made...
Its only going to be quicker on a small property if you take of like the clappers

If Im trying to achieve a professional cut on say a 1acre lot with grass cutting in close proximity of the house, I wont take of with any kind of speed, due to the front end having a tendency to lift & therefor not cutting evenly.. So the acceleration of the SZ will play very little part.

Unless your out there with "racing" on your mind.
Old 06-17-2013, 05:53 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenology View Post
Its only going to be quicker on a small property if you take of like the clappers

If Im trying to achieve a professional cut on say a 1acre lot with grass cutting in close proximity of the house, I wont take of with any kind of speed, due to the front end having a tendency to lift & therefor not cutting evenly.. So the acceleration of the SZ will play very little part.

Unless your out there with "racing" on your mind.
How is the super z's traction when wet? Are the hydros to sensitive in your opinion? Like on wet hills.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-17-2013, 06:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
It is my understanding that the trans on the Cheetah doesn't have any gears. Just two different stop locations for the sticks that limit top speed.

All this talk about speed is really kind of pointless for the vast majority of LCO's because most of us simply can't use it anywhere to any real advantage, and as GMLC said earlier, if you have to double cut all the time because of the deck design, then the fastest speed is of no advantage at all.

If you have a wide open flat area where you can fly balls to the wall, and/or customers who don't give a crap what you do, go for it, but I know my own customers would not like seeing me flying across their lawn at top speed (if I even could) for a variety of reasons, and I'd be out of work shortly.

There's simply far more to mowing and doing top quality work than going full out, hair flying in the breeze behind you.
This is how I understood it as well. I've always thought to my self if that is the case then its really quite silly, the operator should be able to adjust speed accordingly, for eg the speed control of SZ... So I feel its more of a marketing gimmick than anything else. I doubt I would ever use a low gear, but guess it doesn't hurt for it to be there!

The talk of speed mainly just applies in conversation with puppy, as we know he can utilise the speed, so its of interest to discuss it with him.

However I don't mind having the speed there, there is very little opportunity for me to use it but Im happy to have it for those times I can, but like you say not while a customer is watching!! you make a good point there & unless it was an open football field I wouldn't want to be cutting like that it gives the impression of non-caring attitude & just trying to get in and out quick, with no care for doing a good job! Sometimes I can be away from sight of house etc so no one would be the wiser

The 460 having 13mph is really ideal for a contractor doing residential accounts! Its still very fast.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
How is the super z's traction when wet? Are the hydros to sensitive in your opinion? Like on wet hills.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mick would prob answer this one a little better than I, although he has the ATV tires. But I didn't have an issue myself with traction, it was quite good. I took it up a very steep slope (just up 3meters and reverse down), must be 40 degree or more and the front end will just lift with little to no wheel spin, altho in this case a lot of weight would be on the rear tires I guess.

In the pic bellow the slope on the left is steeper than it looks, but I cut this when its been wet and slippery & it wasn't a problem.

The sensitivity of the hydros didn't effect the traction from my memory though. Its such a heavy machine & with the tires at 8-10psi traction I found to be quite good. But you would need to be very careful not to tear up grass on smaller accounts where it matters, turning needs to be done slowly and carefully, however this applies to the X1 its just a little lighter so not as bad. You cant leave 1 tire stationary in true zero turn style, but this would apply to all the big ZTRs

But yes in my opinion the Hydros are too sensitive for rough grounds, they create a jerking effect over ruts & in turn gives lift to the deck which then has a deck bouncing problem. This is a definite thing in my mind. But I don't think many ppl have such rutted properties so don't really hear ppl complaining about this.

Name:  Tucros 1.JPG
Views: 125
Size:  111.4 KB
Old 06-17-2013, 07:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenology View Post
This is how I understood it as well. I've always thought to my self if that is the case then its really quite silly, the operator should be able to adjust speed accordingly, for eg the speed control of SZ... So I feel its more of a marketing gimmick than anything else. I doubt I would ever use a low gear, but guess it doesn't hurt for it to be there!

The talk of speed mainly just applies in conversation with puppy, as we know he can utilise the speed, so its of interest to discuss it with him.

However I don't mind having the speed there, there is very little opportunity for me to use it but Im happy to have it for those times I can, but like you say not while a customer is watching!! you make a good point there & unless it was an open football field I wouldn't want to be cutting like that it gives the impression of non-caring attitude & just trying to get in and out quick, with no care for doing a good job! Sometimes I can be away from sight of house etc so no one would be the wiser

The 460 having 13mph is really ideal for a contractor doing residential accounts! Its still very fast.
Don't miisunderstand me mate. I like speed as much as, or more so, than most guys, but as I said, super fast speeds are of very little use the majority of the time for those of use who mow for money. All the big ZTR's are more than fast enough for an LCO to make good time at a property.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I mowed some very steep slopes before I change over to the AT101's and felt pretty secure, mostly. I use the AT101's just for the added safety but they can be very harsh on turns. I still get it wrong at times. The extra weight of the SZ doesnt help! Im thinking of putting the original tires back on for winter.

The large engine and the hydros means the speed, power and torque is always there, no need for gear changes. There was a time where I thought 2 speed would be a good idea but after running the SZ, I was wrong. I dont think I would ever used High gear on the Cheetah unless for transport only. Any slopes or thick grass will have a major effect. Theres a vid on YT of the Cheetah demo. Watch from around 10mins, besides it almost throwing him out of the seat, you can hear the revs drop considerably and he's running over previously cut, dry grass... http://youtu.be/6vAvGTCJjF8
A larger engine could sort that though. Put a Briggs 36 or something on and Im sure it would be a great machine.

But anyway, you'd probably only want to use low on small rough properties anyway so I dunno!

As we know, photos never really do justice to a slope but let me say, this one scared the cr@p out of me. Not just steep but had those ant nests I go on about and open dirt.
Attached Images

Old 06-17-2013, 08:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

That's definitely some steep terrain there Mick. Hope you had a roll of butt wad handy after you were done.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

This is a interesting thread but i mean if you have nothing but big open fields I guess the 15mph on the hustler would come in handy....but does it honestly go 15 ?

"There is no such thing as failure. There are only results." – Tony Robbins

Enough Said...
Old 06-17-2013, 09:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yes they do go that fast!
2006 Hustler SuperZ 28EFI 60" Power Chute Design OCDC SOLD!
Perma-green Magnum
1996 48" SCAG Belt WB 14hp Kawasaki Classic Deck
Echo 2 strokes PB-755 & SRM 280
Eastman WM20H 20" Commercial Push mower (NEW for 2013)
Commercial Lawnboy trim mower 3-FOR SALE!http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=424203
Solo since 1980