Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-19-2013, 01:15 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Lets see here. Today I did the break in oil change. Changed it to straight pennzoil 30wt and a longer pureone oil filter. Before anybody says anything about the straight 30wt kohler does have it in the manual for above 50 degrees. Straight grade oils are superior to multi weight oils. They do not have the viscosity modifiers that multi weight oils use and the heat and shear resistance is higher on straight grade oils. The next oil change it will get amsoil ACD 30wt. My machinist/engine builder is very well known and only does machine work and builds engines for only a select few. When you are that good you can pick and choose who you do work for and my cousin is friends with him so I have the in with him. Anyway he told me to run straight 40wt in my new 385 stroker I just built because of the reasons I mentioned above. So I figured I would give the straight 30wt a try in this efi kohler and see how it does.

Also today I some how punctured the sidewall on a rear tire. 14 freaking hours and the tire is "technically" no good. But I filled it up with slime and stuck a plug down in it and it is holding fine so far. It is not the first time I have done this and it has worked before. If it decides to start leaking again I will have to try patching the tire or just suck it up and replace it.

Ok with that said I got a chance to cut two bi weekly lawns today that were every bit of 10"+ deep and these are treated and VERY thick. We HATE these lawns and we used to do them every week but money got tight for these people. Anyway I cut them at 3.5" and it cut very clean and only left a little debris in a couple spots. Buzzed back across those spots and it vanished and the lawns looked like they are cut weekly. The XF1 deck would have required cutting at 4" and then raising the deck to 4.5" and going back across to clean them up.

I am absolutely thrilled with this updated deck!
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)

Last edited by ProStreetCamaro; 06-19-2013 at 01:20 PM.
Old 06-19-2013, 01:21 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProStreetCamaro View Post
Lets see here. Today I did the break in oil change. Changed it to straight pennzoil 30wt and a longer pureone oil filter. Before anybody says anything about the straight 30wt kohler does have it in the manual for above 50 degrees. Straight grade oils are superior to multi weight oils. They do not have the viscosity modifiers that multi weight oils use and the heat and shear resistance is higher on straight grade oils. The next oil change it will get amsoil ACD 30wt.

Also today I some how punctured the sidewall on a rear tire. 14 freaking hours and the tire is "technically" no good. But I filled it up with slime and stuck a plug down in it and it is holding fine so far. It is not the first time I have done this and it has worked before.

Ok with that said I got a chance to cut two bi weekly lawns today that were every bit of 10"+ deep and these are treated and VERY thick. We HATE these lawns and we used to do them every week but money got tight for these people. Anyway I cut them at 3.5" and it cut very clean and only left a little debris in a couple spots. Buzzed back across those spots and it vanished and the lawns looked like they are cut weekly. The XF1 deck would have required cutting at 4" and then raising the deck to 4.5" and going back across to clean them up.

I am absolutely thrilled with this updated deck!
Glad to here you like the XF2. The Amsoil small engine oil is actually a 30W as well. On the bottle they put 30/10w-30 because its a 30W oil with a lower pour point than 10W-30!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-19-2013, 01:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

PSC- you're not alone. I ran straight 30W in my Kohlers as well. It helped stop the smoking at start up on the second to the last one I owned. Only a replacement stopped the smoking on the last one
Old 06-19-2013, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The multi-vis just puts a day factor in it. If your easy on the cold starts you'll be fine. I do like the Amsoil small engine oil as well. I'll go Dino for one more change, then switch over.

That 747 EFI Kohler should be a great engine for you! You'll be swapping your hot rod over to EFI soon enough!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-19-2013, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Member

This one is for you Ridin'. I was in getting a new bump (replacement) and a edger blade and thought about the 7 iron deck. I asked how it did in wet conditions and the guys laughed. They then replied, " we don't cut in wet conditions." I told them that they obviously do not do it for a living or they would be cutting in some form a moisture (morning dew etc.). He then stated that he didn't want to clean under the deck...pshh. Those two didn't seem like the brightest to speak with because I had to explain each item I was looking for. Being a Stihl dealer and all i would have thought they would be educated enough to know their products...my mistake. Great to hear the xf2 cuts so much sweeter PSC!
Attached Images

Last edited by LifeBack Lawns; 06-19-2013 at 09:00 PM.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

That's a great looking machine in my opinion. The only plastic it has that a Hustler or other mower doesn't are the two green side panels which aren't all that big when you actually stand up next to one and look at it. The tank and matching side panel in black are plastic just like a Hustler or any other mower with side tanks. The rest is all steel and cast iron.

No one "wants" to cut in the wet. It's just a fact of life when you mow for a living. You're right, they don't sound to bright, or at least very well educated about their products. The truth is, you very rarely have to scrape the underside of a 7 Iron deck. The high speed air flow and the abrasion of the clippings (yes, even wet clippings) cleans them off pretty darn well. I cut early in the A.M. a few days ago when there was a very, very heavy dew, and left over water from a goood rain the night before. There was a constant spray in the air and I though for sure I'd have to scrape at least a few pounds of crap out, but nope, only a couple handfulls, and that was with my MOD deck. The standard 7 Iron Pro deck is even better in the wet.

Besides a shorter overall length which is very handy for day in and day out mowing of landscaped property, the Deere can do one better than most other machines can do, and that's trace a flower bed easily due to the straight left caster arm. It takes getting used to, but once you do, it makes getting in close and following a wandering contour very easy to do without having tto have the deck hanging way out to the left side.

Last edited by Ridin' Green; 06-19-2013 at 10:04 PM.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:02 AM
LawnSite Member

Gmlc or anyone, How does the 400 series do in wet conditions? Thick grass? hard and stringy meadow like grass? 2-3' high grass? I am just trying to get an idea of most conditions.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
PSC- you're not alone. I ran straight 30W in my Kohlers as well. It helped stop the smoking at start up on the second to the last one I owned. Only a replacement stopped the smoking on the last one
Hey Ridin, what Kohlers gave you problems and what were the problems? And at how many hours?
Old 06-20-2013, 07:01 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropctony View Post
Gmlc or anyone, How does the 400 series do in wet conditions? Thick grass? hard and stringy meadow like grass? 2-3' high grass? I am just trying to get an idea of most conditions.
The XF1 and XF2 both cut amazing in wet conditions, almost as good as the velocity(one of the reasons I bought Gravely). In thick or dry grass even better. I have not cut 2-3' meadow grass with either. But in the beginning of this thread I have pics of 12"-20" grass I cut that was all weeds and clover. Here is a link to the page.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=403947&page=4
Old 06-20-2013, 08:03 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dathorpe View Post
Hey Ridin, what Kohlers gave you problems and what were the problems? And at how many hours?
I had a CV18 Command that was using a noticeable amount of oil by only 500 hours. Then, the last one was a CV730 25 HP Command that was screwed up from new. It smoked like a brush fire at start up, and would puff out smoke here and there while running. I did the initial oil change at Deere's recommended 8 hours by which time it had gone down about half way from the full mark to the add mark. After the change, it used about one quart in the next 32 hours. It was so bad right from the start/brand new that Deere (who warranties all the engines they sell regardless of who made them) had to go round and round with Kohler (according the the head mechanic who was there for all the meetings between the Kohler rep and Deere's rep) to get it replaced. I asked what the actual problem was, but they would never tell me and were always evasive. They would say things like "it doesn't matter, you got a new engine didn't you?" The most I could find out was that it was a problem that Kohler was well aware of, but at least up to that point was not willing to change to eliminate.