Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-20-2013, 09:14 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
The XF1 and XF2 both cut amazing in wet conditions, almost as good as the velocity(one of the reasons I bought Gravely). In thick or dry grass even better. I have not cut 2-3' meadow grass with either. But in the beginning of this thread I have pics of 12"-20" grass I cut that was all weeds and clover. Here is a link to the page.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=403947&page=4
GMLC-
I think this is the page, followed by a link directly to the post you are talking about?-

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=403947

http://www.lawnsite.com/showpost.php...3&postcount=35
Old 06-20-2013, 01:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post

That's a great looking machine in my opinion. The only plastic it has that a Hustler or other mower doesn't are the two green side panels which aren't all that big when you actually stand up next to one and look at it. The tank and matching side panel in black are plastic just like a Hustler or any other mower with side tanks. The rest is all steel and cast iron.

No one "wants" to cut in the wet. It's just a fact of life when you mow for a living. You're right, they don't sound to bright, or at least very well educated about their products. The truth is, you very rarely have to scrape the underside of a 7 Iron deck. The high speed air flow and the abrasion of the clippings (yes, even wet clippings) cleans them off pretty darn well. I cut early in the A.M. a few days ago when there was a very, very heavy dew, and left over water from a goood rain the night before. There was a constant spray in the air and I though for sure I'd have to scrape at least a few pounds of crap out, but nope, only a couple handfulls, and that was with my MOD deck. The standard 7 Iron Pro deck is even better in the wet.

Besides a shorter overall length which is very handy for day in and day out mowing of landscaped property, the Deere can do one better than most other machines can do, and that's trace a flower bed easily due to the straight left caster arm. It takes getting used to, but once you do, it makes getting in close and following a wandering contour very easy to do without having tto have the deck hanging way out to the left side.
Don't forget about the plastic covers for the deck pullies, not that it is a bad thing.

I think the frequency of scraping of most all brands of decks depends on type of grass, weeds, time of season (spring vs summer).For instance, my friend who just got a JD 920(A?) zt acouple of months ago told me that he has had to scrape the deck on that mower fairly often, as has another friend of mine that has a Gravely 152 with the X-factor deck and he has to regularly scrape it, in the spring conditions, as do we all down here in my area. It is mostly because of the type of spring weeds/grass in this area on these mostly country/native grass yards/lawns. The Bahia, Dallis grass, Bermuda, St.Augustine, Zoysia...etc, have just become dominant around here in the last few weeks or so. We will get very little buildup with thes type grasses.

Razorblades.
Old 06-20-2013, 02:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I actually like the plastic covers over the spindles. They don't rattle, crack or rust out, and they are designed so that you can blow out underneath them without taking them off. Plus, it's just that much less weight to lift while featthering the deck over bumps.

Do you know which blades they are using on their Deere's? If it's the G6's I can see having to scrape more, because I've experienced that myself. Like I said in that post you replied to, I cut a few days ago early in the morning after a rain the night before and then we had a ton of dew and no scraping was needed, and no grass will collect more readily than all this fine bladed limp stuff we have here does, especially when it's full of clover and a ton of other weeds. I really expected to that time, but I didn't have to when I checked, and that was with the MOD deck and all the added baffling under there. The std Pro deck is a lot better yet in regards to not getting gummed up with crap.
Old 06-20-2013, 03:32 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
I had a CV18 Command that was using a noticeable amount of oil by only 500 hours. Then, the last one was a CV730 25 HP Command that was screwed up from new. It smoked like a brush fire at start up, and would puff out smoke here and there while running. I did the initial oil change at Deere's recommended 8 hours by which time it had gone down about half way from the full mark to the add mark. After the change, it used about one quart in the next 32 hours. It was so bad right from the start/brand new that Deere (who warranties all the engines they sell regardless of who made them) had to go round and round with Kohler (according the the head mechanic who was there for all the meetings between the Kohler rep and Deere's rep) to get it replaced. I asked what the actual problem was, but they would never tell me and were always evasive. They would say things like "it doesn't matter, you got a new engine didn't you?" The most I could find out was that it was a problem that Kohler was well aware of, but at least up to that point was not willing to change to eliminate.

The 25 on our 160 had defective rings on one side. By 200 hours it was burning through oil like crazy and smoking non stop. Our Gravely dealer at that time was in the process of changing hands and had no mechanics. Another much bigger shop that does not sell gravely told us they would take care of it because it was a warranty issue with kohler directly. Kohler authorized them to tear it down for inspection. When the kohler rep came by to take a look they asked if I wanted to come see it so I did. The cylinder walls and pistons looked brand new but the rings on one side were shot and must have been defective from the get go. Kohler authorized them to replace the rings on both pistons, complete new gasket set, new plugs, new reed valves. Basically new everything. Now with 1600 hours it still runs like a top and never smokes and consumes absolutely zero oil. About 150 hours ago it did start using and leaking oil between the head and block and I knew right away it was the head gasket. Kohler updated the gaskets 2 years ago to fix the infamous head gasket problems. I changed the gasket (updated gasket) myself (really not very difficult if you know your way around engines). No problems since. If the other head gasket goes I will update that gasket.

I fully expect to get 3000+ hours out of the 25hp kohler on our 160Z. We just set a personal record with the 15hp kawi on our 34Z! We finally had one make 2000 hours with out blowing up or causing major problems!

Our 18hp command is all original. Not even a bad coil or anything and it does not consume any oil and does not smoke at all. It should turn 3000 hours by next summer (we only use it a little each week kinda semi retired that mower).
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)
Old 06-20-2013, 03:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

He's using the Factory blades, as far as I know...definitely not the G-6 blades. He doesn't have the MOD deck either.

What we've been mowing in the spring is a combination of some very moist/wet (internal), sticky, sappy weeds. I can't tell you what the names of all of them are but you can mow them in the spring when the grass is not wet from dew or rain and it will stick to the underside of mower decks alot worse than mowing damp/wet bahia, st augustine, bermuda, zoysia or dallis grass, like we are mowing now.
Old 06-20-2013, 03:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorblades View Post
He's using the Factory blades, as far as I know...definitely not the G-6 blades. He doesn't have the MOD deck either.

What we've been mowing in the spring is a combination of some very moist/wet (internal), sticky, sappy weeds. I can't tell you what the names of all of them are but you can mow them in the spring when the grass is not wet from dew or rain and it will stick to the underside of mower decks alot worse than mowing damp/wet bahia, st augustine, bermuda, zoysia or dallis grass, like we are mowing now.
Sounds like cutting goosegrass up here. That crap is rediculous about clogging a deck normally, but so far it hasn't been a problem with the 7 Irons.
Old 06-20-2013, 03:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

PSC-
like I've said many times on LS, I used to be a diehard Kohler fan. I just can't get on board with them any longer if there's another choice for whatever machine I'm buying.

The new engine they replaced that 25 with was a lot better, but it still smoked pretty good on start up right up until I sold it half a year later. Their EFI system has my interest somewhat, but only in a BB of some sort.
Old 06-20-2013, 04:26 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
PSC-
like I've said many times on LS, I used to be a diehard Kohler fan. I just can't get on board with them any longer if there's another choice for whatever machine I'm buying.

The new engine they replaced that 25 with was a lot better, but it still smoked pretty good on start up right up until I sold it half a year later. Their EFI system has my interest somewhat, but only in a BB of some sort.
The efi so far has been very nice. First start of the day when the engine is cold it will chug a little if you dont throttle it way up when you start to drive it. If you let it idle a minute to warm up it doesn't do it. The 31hp kawi smoked so bad once or twice a day on startup we could have sold mosquito fogging services. I wish I had gotten a video of it before I traded it in. If the air was dead still you had to quickly drive out of the cloud of smoke or else start choking.

I also much prefer the hydraulic lifters over the solid setup in the kawi. They are quieter and never need adjusting. I adjust more than enough solid lifters in my car every year. Don't need to do it to a mower too! Plus the 31 kawi has 6 lifters to adjust! If I were forced to go kawi again it would not be a big block version. Way to gas hungry for me. The little efi kohler is getting stronger and stronger as it breaks in and the computer learns. Plenty of power for anything we will ever do with it and it is getting less than 1.5gph. More along the lines of 1.2ish. That is about 1gph less than the kawi was getting! I know you prefer kawi but I will take my chances with kohler.
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)
Old 06-20-2013, 04:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I do like the hydraulic valve lifters in the Kohler. No added maintenance suits me fine.
Old 06-20-2013, 05:14 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

The only problem I had with Kohler was the hydraulic lifters would bleed down and cause a horrid clatter during start up. Eventually it swallowed a valve. This was a 15hp Kohler Command Pro. I never bought another one. I have been assured that the lifter problems have been addressed and Im ready to give the Kohler EFI a shot on my next machine.