Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-21-2013, 10:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLS View Post
Puppy, what are your idle RPM's? Mine were cranked way high from the factory IIRC. Maybe yours is still set high?

Plus, his is brand new!
Posted via Mobile Device
My idle rpms were at 900, and top end at 3600 when I checked them a few minutes ago on the efi. The engine had not been run today, I've been running the big mower this afternoon. I know the idle rpms were higher on this new engine when comparing to my old efi, because I could tell a considerable difference in sound, and wondered why they were so much higher. They have now returned to about the same as the old engine and nothing has been touched. The only difference being the new engine now has 75 hrs run time, but it makes no sense to me the idle rpms would drop. The new engine is running exactly as the old one, but before, I know from the sound it had to be at somewhere in the 12 to 14 hundred range at least.
Old 06-22-2013, 08:01 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Wow! Too low on both ends Puppy!

Your not getting enough oil pressure at 900, and your free load should be 3750!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-22-2013, 08:52 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLS View Post
Wow! Too low on both ends Puppy!

Your not getting enough oil pressure at 900, and your free load should be 3750!
Posted via Mobile Device
I would think the low end would not be a problem, I never let it idle long enough to make any difference. I talked with Kohler about the engine specs showing 3750 but Hustler only wanting 3600 for the hydraulics. They told me this would not be a problem, but who knows. I turned the last engine up to 3750 and it began using oil, but it ran like a different machine for the better. I turned it back to just below 3700 and it stopped the oil usage.

Every engine based on Hustler's specs is to be set at 3600 no load for their components to operated within parameters. There is definitely a considerable difference in the speed and operation (cutting) of the mower at 3750, a feel of which I like much better.

The best I remember you had your 28 efi set at 3750 with no real oil consumption difference. I may turn this one up to see if the oil consumption changes, I definitely like the added power.
Old 06-22-2013, 03:45 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I need to get a tiny tach to see what mine is running at. I wonder if mine adjusts the same way you described above?
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)
Old 06-22-2013, 04:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Shouldn't be different, if it is, shouldn't be hard to figure out!
2006 Hustler SuperZ 28EFI 60" Power Chute Design OCDC SOLD!
Perma-green Magnum
1996 48" SCAG Belt WB 14hp Kawasaki Classic Deck
Echo 2 strokes PB-755 & SRM 280
Eastman WM20H 20" Commercial Push mower (NEW for 2013)
Commercial Lawnboy trim mower 3-FOR SALE!http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=424203
Solo since 1980
Old 06-23-2013, 03:51 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Just another update. The XF2 continues to give me a super smooth amazing cut. Great stripes to boot. But as the grass is now at its thickest here I find whens its super wet Im getting build up above the baffles. When I know its going to rain I now take the baffles off. Im thinking of modifying the baffles by making the "shelf" smaller or completely off. Just dont know if this will change the affectivness of the baffles in all other conditions? Once summer drys things out I feel it will be a non issue. Plus this has been one of the wettest springs in a long time.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-23-2013, 04:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've got a question... Have you had any problems with scalping or lines on uneven terrain? I demoed a Pro Stance 52" about a month ago and loved it but only complaint was it scalped like crazy because it had no rear anti scalp wheels on the back corners of the deck. I noticed the 400 series mowers which I'm very interested in have no rear corner deck wheels either. I'm just used to having them on my Grasshoppers but I'm just confused why Gravely is not putting them on their decks? I ran that 52" pro stance where my 61" Grasshopper normally cuts fine and I was getting scalp lined in uneven ground. Just wanted your opinion on this and to see if you've had any scalping issues with your 452?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-23-2013, 04:49 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundskeeperllc View Post
I've got a question... Have you had any problems with scalping or lines on uneven terrain? I demoed a Pro Stance 52" about a month ago and loved it but only complaint was it scalped like crazy because it had no rear anti scalp wheels on the back corners of the deck. I noticed the 400 series mowers which I'm very interested in have no rear corner deck wheels either. I'm just used to having them on my Grasshoppers but I'm just confused why Gravely is not putting them on their decks? I ran that 52" pro stance where my 61" Grasshopper normally cuts fine and I was getting scalp lined in uneven ground. Just wanted your opinion on this and to see if you've had any scalping issues with your 452?
Posted via Mobile Device

Honestly I have not had any scalping with my 452. I would give it a demo on your properties. I do have a lot of uneven properties and even when I tested the Pro Stance I dont remember scalping either. On the X-Factor deck the rear anti scalp wheels are under the deck in the center so it also has no corner wheels. I dont mow under 3" on cool season northern grasses.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-23-2013, 04:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
Just another update. The XF2 continues to give me a super smooth amazing cut. Great stripes to boot. But as the grass is now at its thickest here I find whens its super wet Im getting build up above the baffles. When I know its going to rain I now take the baffles off. Im thinking of modifying the baffles by making the "shelf" smaller or completely off. Just dont know if this will change the affectivness of the baffles in all other conditions? Once summer drys things out I feel it will be a non issue. Plus this has been one of the wettest springs in a long time.
Posted via Mobile Device
I wouldn't do that GMLC. The "shelves" creates a low pressure area above them that creates a lot of suction or vacuum affect. Removing that will leave you with a baffle plate that would help with reducing blowout, but almost eliminate the suction you get by lowering the baffle with the shelves still attached. That low pressure area is also why you see build up at those spots when you cut in wet cutting conditions.
Old 06-23-2013, 05:01 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
I wouldn't do that GMLC. The "shelves" creates a low pressure area above them that creates a lot of suction or vacuum affect. Removing that will leave you with a baffle plate that would help with reducing blowout, but almost eliminate the suction you get by lowering the baffle with the shelves still attached. That low pressure area is also why you see build up at those spots when you cut in wet cutting conditions.
Thanks Ridin'. I was wondering about that. Its been so wet here for so long. I dont think it would happen during a normally wet spring. It doesnt clump but it makes a mess when I shut off the blades. I look foward to the extra lift on that dry fine fescue so Im going to leave things alone.
Posted via Mobile Device