Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-23-2013, 04:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
Thanks Ridin'. I was wondering about that. Its been so wet here for so long. I dont think it would happen during a normally wet spring. It doesnt clump but it makes a mess when I shut off the blades. I look foward to the extra lift on that dry fine fescue so Im going to leave things alone.
Posted via Mobile Device
Believe me, I wish I had those baffle shelves on mine, especially when it gets like it did last year. In fact, it is starting to get that way here right now. It's only been a week or a bit longer since we had some rain, but it is HOT here right now, and the sun isn't being clouded out, so the grass is turning that blue/grey color in many places already, brown in others. Not looking forward to that. We are "supposed" to get rain over the next several days, but then again, we we're "supposed" to get some for the last two and it's been nothing but sunshine.

This is just a thought, but based off a problem I had a few years ago when mowing in some really wet/lush conditions-

try running your deck at WOT while moving slowly across an already cut patch of grass for just a few seconds before shutting the PTO off. I was doing that and it totally eliminated the wet grass plopping down in a pile under the deck. It gives the airflow time to clean out the remaining debris while not adding any new stuff to the mess.
Old 06-23-2013, 04:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I see people complaining about the lack of rear corner anti-scalp wheels a lot lately. A lot of manufacturers have eliminated them as they're not needed when the rear of the deck is moved closer to the rear tires.

I could see someone having issues when cutting below, say, 2 1/2" or so, but above that and they're just not needed with the deck so close to the rear tires.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-23-2013, 04:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have to disagree with you there, sorta.

Many machines have enough room between deck and tires and/or left side overhang that the rear wheels are needed to prevent scalping on uneven or rolling terrain. My 720 didn't have them, and though the rear of the deck was fairly close to the rear wheels it would scalp at times on some of the places I mow. My 950 has them and I have yet to scalp even once on those same properties, mowing in the same patterns etc., and the rear wheels are just about the same distance from the back of the deck on both machines.

I would always prefer to have them, but I realize that some machines out now do have the tires and deck close enough to about eliminate scalping issues.
Old 06-23-2013, 04:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Not saying they're not needed. Just that mowers lately have gotten away from them.

I took them off my old Lazer and also my SuperZ. If you know what your doing and cut above 3" I feel they serve to only hinder your ability to tuck in and trim tight around posts and signs.

Now that my Lazers deck is very close to the rear wheels, I really don't see a need for them. A 60" Diesel Lazer for instance has about 8-10" from rear tire to deck skirt. They are a must on this style mower.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-23-2013, 06:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I understand all that and don't totally disagree with you. I think I know what I'm doing (maybe not though), and I have several places each week that I cut around that just about any ZTR made will scalp around without the rear wheels. I have a couple places on my own property that I would scalp for sure without rear gauge wheels on my deck, and my deck is only about 4" at most from my rear tire in the cutting position. I cut at 3.5". They are ground swells around a couple very large silver maples. I have cut around them with quite a few mowers over the years and every single one of them that was without rear wheels scalped regardless of brand or type of machine.

Like I said, I'd rather have them than not any day. They don't hurt anything to have, and they do help much of the time. Not knocking your mower, or any other that doesn't have them (like the 460 Gravely I would really like to have), I just very much prefer them because I see weekly where they benefit me.
Old 06-23-2013, 06:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

As the Beastie Boys say ... "Foot on the pedal..."

That's my anti scalp device preference!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-23-2013, 06:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Just another update. The XF2 continues to give me a super smooth amazing cut. Great stripes to boot. But as the grass is now at its thickest here I find whens its super wet Im getting build up above the baffles. When I know its going to rain I now take the baffles off. Im thinking of modifying the baffles by making the "shelf" smaller or completely off. Just dont know if this will change the affectivness of the baffles in all other conditions? Once summer drys things out I feel it will be a non issue. Plus this has been one of the wettest springs in a long time.
Posted via Mobile Device
Hmm how exciting, modifying mower decks haha just kidding.

Do you recall if this was an issue with the previous XF deck? If not maybe you could look at the changes & go from there.

Although as Ridin is explaining the build up there is due to the low pressure area created by the baffles. I would think the only thing you could try if to adjust the height of the baffles to see if theres a position that gives less buildup, however Im betting your baffle height is where it needs to be for cutting and blowout?
Old 06-23-2013, 07:19 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenology View Post
Hmm how exciting, modifying mower decks haha just kidding.

Do you recall if this was an issue with the previous XF deck? If not maybe you could look at the changes & go from there.

Although as Ridin is explaining the build up there is due to the low pressure area created by the baffles. I would think the only thing you could try if to adjust the height of the baffles to see if theres a position that gives less buildup, however Im betting your baffle height is where it needs to be for cutting and blowout?
The FX1 didnt do it because it doesnt have the front adjustable baffles. When I take the baffles off of the XF2 it wont do it. It really only happens in really thick, super wet grass. My scag velocity use to collect on the same "shelf" on the baffles. Nothing ends up on the turf but when I shut off the blades it all drops. Usually in my trailer!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-23-2013, 07:24 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

PSC, are you getting any build up above the front baffles? Mostly mowing in the rain on really thick grass?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-23-2013, 07:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
The FX1 didnt do it because it doesnt have the front adjustable baffles. When I take the baffles off of the XF2 it wont do it. It really only happens in really thick, super wet grass. My scag velocity use to collect on the same "shelf" on the baffles. Nothing ends up on the turf but when I shut off the blades it all drops. Usually in my trailer!!
Posted via Mobile Device
guess for now its just one of those annoying things we cant do anything about. Hopefully what Riding suggests will help.

Hey do you think the XF2 deck would be in Australia, its been out over a month now is that right. The differences are from 10" chute to 13", adjustable baffles & what was the other things? cheers