Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-23-2013, 07:37 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenology View Post
guess for now its just one of those annoying things we cant do anything about. Hopefully what Riding suggests will help.

Hey do you think the XF2 deck would be in Australia, its been out over a month now is that right. The differences are from 10" chute to 13", adjustable baffles & what was the other things? cheers
Only takes a couple minutes to remove the baffles when its raining out. So its not to bad.

I would think its available in Australia. But not sure. Yup bigger discharge opening, adjustable baffles, and a revised chute for the bigger opening. Its now 13" on the 52" deck, must be even bigger on the 60" and 72".
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-23-2013, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Member

GMLC, Is cleaning under the XF2 easy? Also, my velocity is a pain for grass to catch under and stick around the spindle shaft above the mower deck. I have to constantly take off the metal "protector" as is like to hang out around....especially when someone calls for a "knockdown" mow. I was just wondering if anyone else had the issues like that cleaning daily and if the red showed less dirt between washings.
Old 06-23-2013, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
I have to disagree with you there, sorta.

Many machines have enough room between deck and tires and/or left side overhang that the rear wheels are needed to prevent scalping on uneven or rolling terrain. My 720 didn't have them, and though the rear of the deck was fairly close to the rear wheels it would scalp at times on some of the places I mow. My 950 has them and I have yet to scalp even once on those same properties, mowing in the same patterns etc., and the rear wheels are just about the same distance from the back of the deck on both machines.

I would always prefer to have them, but I realize that some machines out now do have the tires and deck close enough to about eliminate scalping issues.
A full length striping roller eliminates rear scalping.
Old 06-23-2013, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropctony View Post
GMLC, Is cleaning under the XF2 easy? Also, my velocity is a pain for grass to catch under and stick around the spindle shaft above the mower deck. I have to constantly take off the metal "protector" as is like to hang out around....especially when someone calls for a "knockdown" mow. I was just wondering if anyone else had the issues like that cleaning daily and if the red showed less dirt between washings.
Yup very easy. I just spray under the deck with a hose. Every machine has a few tight spots that collect grass. On my 452 its the engine cradle. I like to keep my equipment clean and looking good. Everything gets a real good cleaning once a week and a quick hose down a couple times.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-23-2013, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjessen View Post
A full length striping roller eliminates rear scalping.
Agreed..... as long as it mounts to the deck and not behind the machine like some do.
Old 06-23-2013, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Agreed..... as long as it mounts to the deck and not behind the machine like some do.
Yep, only down side is the extra weight of a metal roller.
Old 06-23-2013, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjessen View Post
Yep, only down side is the extra weight of a metal roller.
Also agreed, but.... if you can't adjust the tension on the lift spring that weight adds up over the day. I still think they are generally worth it though.
Old 06-23-2013, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Also agreed, but.... if you can't adjust the tension on the lift spring that weight adds up over the day. I still think they are generally worth it though.
These don't sound complicated to make to be honest. I might look into a making a kit for more defined stripes.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-25-2013, 07:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
Yup very easy. I just spray under the deck with a hose. Every machine has a few tight spots that collect grass. On my 452 its the engine cradle. I like to keep my equipment clean and looking good. Everything gets a real good cleaning once a week and a quick hose down a couple times.
Posted via Mobile Device
I spoke with the Gravely rep for my area today, and you are right, they are extremely customer oriented, seemingly more-so than any mower company I've "ever" dealt with.

I told him I would love to demo a 472 to get an equal comparison, and asked him the engine selections. I was told the 31 hp Kawasaki and was the largest a/c gas engine offered.

He told me they just did not have 472's for demo purposes, and this was because there was not very many sold to commercial cutters, but he could see the 472 being a perfect fit for a farmer with large acreage to mow.

I just got off the phone with the rep and he told me they were building the mower I wanted to demo and it would be shipped Friday. I would say this is customer service second, no not second to none, but not even a close comparison to any mower company today.

I am getting the best mower Gravely offers, and getting a brand new one just off the assembly line to run as I please. I am looking forward to giving this mower a very thorough demo in the grasses and terrain I mow. He told me I would love their air ride seat, and I feel more than assured I will.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:02 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
I spoke with the Gravely rep for my area today, and you are right, they are extremely customer oriented, seemingly more-so than any mower company I've "ever" dealt with.

I told him I would love to demo a 472 to get an equal comparison, and asked him the engine selections. I was told the 31 hp Kawasaki and was the largest a/c gas engine offered.

He told me they just did not have 472's for demo purposes, and this was because there was not very many sold to commercial cutters, but he could see the 472 being a perfect fit for a farmer with large acreage to mow.

I just got off the phone with the rep and he told me they were building the mower I wanted to demo and it would be shipped Friday. I would say this is customer service second, no not second to none, but not even a close comparison to any mower company today.

I am getting the best mower Gravely offers, and getting a brand new one just off the assembly line to run as I please. I am looking forward to giving this mower a very thorough demo in the grasses and terrain I mow. He told me I would love their air ride seat, and I feel more than assured I will.
Good for you puppy!! Sounds like a great opportunity. This is the customer service that got me, a 15 year scag veteran to give Gravely a try. Once I tried one I was sold.

I feel Gravely will take a big chunk of the commercial market in the next 5 years or so. Thats if they can get enough good dealers on board.
Posted via Mobile Device