Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-25-2013, 08:20 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
Good for you puppy!! Sounds like a great opportunity. This is the customer service that got me, a 15 year scag veteran to give Gravely a try. Once I tried one I was sold.

I feel Gravely will take a big chunk of the commercial market in the next 5 years or so. Thats if they can get enough good dealers on board.
Posted via Mobile Device
I think that will be key for them. Gravely contacted me about a demo as I expressed interest in their line on here. I am not in a hurry to buy a 3rd machine so I will hold off. I had a bad experience with the local Gravely dealer a couple of years ago (no on a Gravely product) and if they are still the only dealer carrying Gravely then I'll have to pass on them.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:29 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg78 View Post
I think that will be key for them. Gravely contacted me about a demo as I expressed interest in their line on here. I am not in a hurry to buy a 3rd machine so I will hold off. I had a bad experience with the local Gravely dealer a couple of years ago (no on a Gravely product) and if they are still the only dealer carrying Gravely then I'll have to pass on them.
What will be key is finding dealers that will follow Gravely's business pricipals. I know for a fact all of thier reps and area managers are on board. They are the ones out meeting us landscapers for demos.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-25-2013, 08:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
Good for you puppy!! Sounds like a great opportunity. This is the customer service that got me, a 15 year scag veteran to give Gravely a try. Once I tried one I was sold.

I feel Gravely will take a big chunk of the commercial market in the next 5 years or so. Thats if they can get enough good dealers on board.
Posted via Mobile Device
My dealer is doing well for Gravely as I was told by the rep. Gravely has never offered dealer incentives the way other mower companies have done over the years, that is according to what I was told today.

Gravely is now getting into more aggressive marketing, and I would say this has a great deal to do with the higher number of Gravely mowers my dealer is selling this year, than in past years. I was told Gravely is letting their reps generate sales by offering their dealers more incentive to tell customers what Gravely has to offer. I just call that good business sense.

Like I said in one of my earlier post, Gravely is picking up a larger percentage of market share based on the numbers my dealer has sold this year.

How many companies have you "ever" heard of, that will special build a mower for demo purposes? I told the Gravely rep you could beg for a Scag demo and may never get one.

He said before coming to Gravely he worked for a large hydraulic tool company 18 years, one of which had a very strong name. He said like Scag, they believed themselves to have the best product in the market, one which would sell itself, and that attitude ended up costing them.

By the way, this rep also reads what is said on LawnSite, and remembers and appreciates everything you do, GMLC.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Puppy, exactly which model and engine are you getting then? The diesel, or did you go for the 31 Kawi?

I'm glad you too, are getting top service/accommodations from Gravely. As I've said many times on LS now, Gravely is what all other companies should try to emulate in the way they run their businesses. I hope they remain this way long after they are at the top of the heap, and don't get the big head like Deere or apparently Scag.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
Puppy, exactly which model and engine are you getting then? The diesel, or did you go for the 31 Kawi?

I'm glad you too, are getting top service/accommodations from Gravely. As I've said many times on LS now, Gravely is what all other companies should try to emulate in the way they run their businesses. I hope they remain this way long after they are at the top of the heap, and don't get the big head like Deere or apparently Scag.
I told him I wanted the 31 Kawasaki, but also made the statement the 37 DFI would be a perfect engine for that particular mower.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Pup, You're a man with some pull! I waited 5 weeks for a price. I still don't know what the cheapest item to qualify for fleet pricing is. It's been nearly 2 months to demo a 72" diesel, maybe this week. Crazy!
Old 06-25-2013, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

The 31 kaw will be more than enough for the 72" thats for sure. My dealer has that exact model in stock.
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)
Old 06-26-2013, 12:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
I told him I wanted the 31 Kawasaki, but also made the statement the 37 DFI would be a perfect engine for that particular mower.
Maybe due to not running the large hydros it would be acceptable, particularly in your case with your easy to cut grass.

Im sure a lot of ppl be very interested to see how you go!
Old 06-26-2013, 12:06 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

green-

I'm not sure if you know this or not, but he's talking about the true 31 HP Kawi FX921V, not the FX850V like you had in your Hustler that Hustler still calls/markets as a 31 when it is really a 27. Just an FYI in case you weren't aware of that.

BTW, there are a lot of guys here running the FX850 on their 72" deck with no problem. I'm sure it could be an issue down there with the hills and thick long grass you and mick cut.
Old 06-26-2013, 02:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
green-

I'm not sure if you know this or not, but he's talking about the true 31 HP Kawi FX921V, not the FX850V like you had in your Hustler that Hustler still calls/markets as a 31 when it is really a 27. Just an FYI in case you weren't aware of that.

BTW, there are a lot of guys here running the FX850 on their 72" deck with no problem. I'm sure it could be an issue down there with the hills and thick long grass you and mick cut.
Hey, no your right I wasn't aware that he was talking about the 921V. But I guess that further supports my notion that the 31 hp could well be enough power for him on the 472 as opposed to needing the extra ponies for the SZ with the huge hydro pumps. My way of thinking is he keeps his grass well maintained & rarely cuts overgrown grass, of which he can take his time to cut that & using only 1/3 or 1/2 the deck each pass, so he may find the 31hp adequate. Just a thought, I dunno, what do you think, I guess like you say theres a lot of guys there running the FX850 which is more like the 27hp so if he is cutting "easiest" grass in the country then he may well be fine and dandy.

Just on the topic of HP ratings, is the FX850 rated at 31hp with the possibility of 15% variation in results, or is it tested by standards that say it will definitely be 15% less than figures stated? The way I thought it would be the possibility of 15% variation, Ie the figure could well be correct or it could be only 5% less for eg @ say 30hp. I haven't done enough research on this but Im sure you have :>