Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center



Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #481  
Old 06-26-2013, 09:10 AM
Ridin' Green Ridin' Green is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 8,901
Green-
The FX850 is true rated at 27 HP. The old J1940 system rated it 31, which meant it only had to be within 15% of the label's rated power, and was basically gross HP without an air filter or muffler where the engine had no restriction or load against it. That is the engine in my Z950. It has plenty of power for a 60" deck, and I wouldn't hesitate using one with a 72" deck on my machine unless I had a field of 3' tall grass to mow regularly. The 72" deck is offerd by Deere on a Z950 BTW.
Reply With Quote
  #482  
Old 06-26-2013, 11:19 AM
mag360's Avatar
mag360 mag360 is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Southeast Pa
Posts: 2,434
I'll let you know how the fx850 does with a 72 inch deck as ours is due in today. I saved a couple of our multi-acre properties for this afternoon to get a good idea of time savings. Two of them have been over-fertilized and are consistently overgrown. The large front lawns have been requiring double cutting and we've used several different machines this year so I'm curious to see the difference with the new deck.

For the sake of unnecessary data:

Pro stance 52/22 - cuts pretty clean but requires a cross cut to clean up the clumps and occasional stringer. Deck can't process the grass quickly enough to run full speed but finished product is beautiful with excellent striping. Takes a looong time.

Pro turn 60/24 - XF1 deck needs the cross cut to spread out the clippings and clean up the cut quality. Cut quality is great on the first pass if you take it slow but clippings still aren't over-processed and still required a second pass. Enough power for full speed first pass and the deck can handle it but top speed is only 9ish mph. I grabbed this machine to hold us over until the 272 came in (due in today in just shy of five weeks) and it has turned out to be a great machine. I think we'll keep it instead of selling in the fall. Fairly productive and plenty of power with the underrated kawi.

Ferris is1500zx 61/28 - needs the cross cut to spread clippings and clean up the cut. Tons of power compared to the other three but the pre-icd deck lacks suction. Stripes ok - anything looks good with a cross cut.

Super Z 60 fx850 - processes clippings well and can go through pretty quick with passable dispersion. Second pass is mostly to smooth out the cut - which suffers in tall grass at any speed. The 27/31 kawi has plenty of power and I'm not worried about running one on a 72 inch open style deck.

We have two turf tigers that would leave a decent 1 cut finish but the 25 and 27hp kohlers would take as long as two passes with the others and with over 2000 hrs each they don't get used here...

Looking for good results from the 272 with xf2 deck
Reply With Quote
  #483  
Old 06-26-2013, 12:52 PM
Ridin' Green Ridin' Green is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 8,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by mag360 View Post
I'll let you know how the fx850 does with a 72 inch deck as ours is due in today. I saved a couple of our multi-acre properties for this afternoon to get a good idea of time savings. Two of them have been over-fertilized and are consistently overgrown. The large front lawns have been requiring double cutting and we've used several different machines this year so I'm curious to see the difference with the new deck.

For the sake of unnecessary data:

Pro stance 52/22 - cuts pretty clean but requires a cross cut to clean up the clumps and occasional stringer. Deck can't process the grass quickly enough to run full speed but finished product is beautiful with excellent striping. Takes a looong time.

Pro turn 60/24 - XF1 deck needs the cross cut to spread out the clippings and clean up the cut quality. Cut quality is great on the first pass if you take it slow but clippings still aren't over-processed and still required a second pass. Enough power for full speed first pass and the deck can handle it but top speed is only 9ish mph. I grabbed this machine to hold us over until the 272 came in (due in today in just shy of five weeks) and it has turned out to be a great machine. I think we'll keep it instead of selling in the fall. Fairly productive and plenty of power with the underrated kawi.

Ferris is1500zx 61/28 - needs the cross cut to spread clippings and clean up the cut. Tons of power compared to the other three but the pre-icd deck lacks suction. Stripes ok - anything looks good with a cross cut.

Super Z 60 fx850 - processes clippings well and can go through pretty quick with passable dispersion. Second pass is mostly to smooth out the cut - which suffers in tall grass at any speed. The 27/31 kawi has plenty of power and I'm not worried about running one on a 72 inch open style deck.

We have two turf tigers that would leave a decent 1 cut finish but the 25 and 27hp kohlers would take as long as two passes with the others and with over 2000 hrs each they don't get used here...

Looking for good results from the 272 with xf2 deck
Great info. I appreciate it. Looking forwards to your review/evaluation on the 272.
Reply With Quote
  #484  
Old 06-26-2013, 01:13 PM
puppypaws's Avatar
puppypaws puppypaws is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Marshville,NC 28103
Posts: 7,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by mag360 View Post
I'll let you know how the fx850 does with a 72 inch deck as ours is due in today. I saved a couple of our multi-acre properties for this afternoon to get a good idea of time savings. Two of them have been over-fertilized and are consistently overgrown. The large front lawns have been requiring double cutting and we've used several different machines this year so I'm curious to see the difference with the new deck.

For the sake of unnecessary data:

Pro stance 52/22 - cuts pretty clean but requires a cross cut to clean up the clumps and occasional stringer. Deck can't process the grass quickly enough to run full speed but finished product is beautiful with excellent striping. Takes a looong time.

Pro turn 60/24 - XF1 deck needs the cross cut to spread out the clippings and clean up the cut quality. Cut quality is great on the first pass if you take it slow but clippings still aren't over-processed and still required a second pass. Enough power for full speed first pass and the deck can handle it but top speed is only 9ish mph. I grabbed this machine to hold us over until the 272 came in (due in today in just shy of five weeks) and it has turned out to be a great machine. I think we'll keep it instead of selling in the fall. Fairly productive and plenty of power with the underrated kawi.

Ferris is1500zx 61/28 - needs the cross cut to spread clippings and clean up the cut. Tons of power compared to the other three but the pre-icd deck lacks suction. Stripes ok - anything looks good with a cross cut.

Super Z 60 fx850 - processes clippings well and can go through pretty quick with passable dispersion. Second pass is mostly to smooth out the cut - which suffers in tall grass at any speed. The 27/31 kawi has plenty of power and I'm not worried about running one on a 72 inch open style deck.

We have two turf tigers that would leave a decent 1 cut finish but the 25 and 27hp kohlers would take as long as two passes with the others and with over 2000 hrs each they don't get used here...

Looking for good results from the 272 with xf2 deck
Enjoyed your comments, what is your most productive mower day in and day out including cross-cutting?

I really enjoy reading information where multiple brands of mowers are run by the same person, this gives a true comparison.
__________________
Farm Mower
Reply With Quote
  #485  
Old 06-26-2013, 02:09 PM
mag360's Avatar
mag360 mag360 is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Southeast Pa
Posts: 2,434
The hustler is the most productive by far although scag has been the most trouble free brand for us which factors into productivity.

I should clarify that the little comparison there was specifically on the over fertilized accounts - we don't double cut everything and the pro stance deck leaves the nicest cut on manicured turf dry. I took a special interest in these properties since all the profit is eaten up by double cutting with acreage...
Reply With Quote
  #486  
Old 06-26-2013, 02:32 PM
Ridin' Green Ridin' Green is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 8,901
mag360-
is this 272 a purchase or a demo? I believe you said which somewhere on LS, but can't recall.
Reply With Quote
  #487  
Old 06-26-2013, 05:24 PM
ProStreetCamaro's Avatar
ProStreetCamaro ProStreetCamaro is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Gaithersburg Maryland
Posts: 3,815
Here is a very uneventful, unexciting video of one of our nasty weed infested lawns that got cut short due to the 8GB memory card in my phone running out of space. This is our new 460 with the XF2 deck and 29 efi. You might laugh when you see the customer lmao.


http://youtu.be/X22ackr6-X0
__________________
2013 Gravely 460Z 29EFI
2011 Gravely 36GR
2008 Gravely 160Z
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)
Reply With Quote
  #488  
Old 06-26-2013, 05:44 PM
greenology's Avatar
greenology greenology is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 811
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProStreetCamaro View Post
Here is a very uneventful, unexciting video of one of our nasty weed infested lawns that got cut short due to the 8GB memory card in my phone running out of space. This is our new 460 with the XF2 deck and 29 efi. You might laugh when you see the customer lmao.


http://youtu.be/X22ackr6-X0
I don't think he likes you, as soon as you turn up he's goone!!

Last edited by greenology; 06-26-2013 at 05:52 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #489  
Old 06-26-2013, 05:46 PM
Ridin' Green Ridin' Green is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 8,901
Thanks for posting that PSC.

Man, I thought my Deere had hydro whine, but you can really hear it from those 5400's. Sounds like the R's drop pretty good for a moment when you first turn back into the lawn from the road while you're going back and forth at the far end. Does the engine still feel like it's gaining power over time, or has it plateau'd?

That HO is the perfect example of a helmut head LOL.
Reply With Quote
  #490  
Old 06-26-2013, 05:57 PM
greenology's Avatar
greenology greenology is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 811
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
Green-
The FX850 is true rated at 27 HP. The old J1940 system rated it 31, which meant it only had to be within 15% of the label's rated power, and was basically gross HP without an air filter or muffler where the engine had no restriction or load against it. That is the engine in my Z950. It has plenty of power for a 60" deck, and I wouldn't hesitate using one with a 72" deck on my machine unless I had a field of 3' tall grass to mow regularly. The 72" deck is offerd by Deere on a Z950 BTW.
Thanks Ridin! So it hasn't been re tested to give a true reading of 27hp? But due to the way they tested without muffle/air filter nor load, then we are assuming its 27? Which I don't doubt it will be considering that dodgy test!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:25 AM.

Page generated in 0.08339 seconds with 8 queries