Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-26-2013, 09:10 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Green-
The FX850 is true rated at 27 HP. The old J1940 system rated it 31, which meant it only had to be within 15% of the label's rated power, and was basically gross HP without an air filter or muffler where the engine had no restriction or load against it. That is the engine in my Z950. It has plenty of power for a 60" deck, and I wouldn't hesitate using one with a 72" deck on my machine unless I had a field of 3' tall grass to mow regularly. The 72" deck is offerd by Deere on a Z950 BTW.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:19 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'll let you know how the fx850 does with a 72 inch deck as ours is due in today. I saved a couple of our multi-acre properties for this afternoon to get a good idea of time savings. Two of them have been over-fertilized and are consistently overgrown. The large front lawns have been requiring double cutting and we've used several different machines this year so I'm curious to see the difference with the new deck.

For the sake of unnecessary data:

Pro stance 52/22 - cuts pretty clean but requires a cross cut to clean up the clumps and occasional stringer. Deck can't process the grass quickly enough to run full speed but finished product is beautiful with excellent striping. Takes a looong time.

Pro turn 60/24 - XF1 deck needs the cross cut to spread out the clippings and clean up the cut quality. Cut quality is great on the first pass if you take it slow but clippings still aren't over-processed and still required a second pass. Enough power for full speed first pass and the deck can handle it but top speed is only 9ish mph. I grabbed this machine to hold us over until the 272 came in (due in today in just shy of five weeks) and it has turned out to be a great machine. I think we'll keep it instead of selling in the fall. Fairly productive and plenty of power with the underrated kawi.

Ferris is1500zx 61/28 - needs the cross cut to spread clippings and clean up the cut. Tons of power compared to the other three but the pre-icd deck lacks suction. Stripes ok - anything looks good with a cross cut.

Super Z 60 fx850 - processes clippings well and can go through pretty quick with passable dispersion. Second pass is mostly to smooth out the cut - which suffers in tall grass at any speed. The 27/31 kawi has plenty of power and I'm not worried about running one on a 72 inch open style deck.

We have two turf tigers that would leave a decent 1 cut finish but the 25 and 27hp kohlers would take as long as two passes with the others and with over 2000 hrs each they don't get used here...

Looking for good results from the 272 with xf2 deck
Old 06-26-2013, 12:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag360 View Post
I'll let you know how the fx850 does with a 72 inch deck as ours is due in today. I saved a couple of our multi-acre properties for this afternoon to get a good idea of time savings. Two of them have been over-fertilized and are consistently overgrown. The large front lawns have been requiring double cutting and we've used several different machines this year so I'm curious to see the difference with the new deck.

Pro stance 52/22 - cuts pretty clean but requires a cross cut to clean up the clumps and occasional stringer. Deck can't process the grass quickly enough to run full speed but finished product is beautiful with excellent striping. Takes a looong time.

Pro turn 60/24 - XF1 deck needs the cross cut to spread out the clippings and clean up the cut quality. Cut quality is great on the first pass if you take it slow but clippings still aren't over-processed and still required a second pass. Enough power for full speed first pass and the deck can handle it but top speed is only 9ish mph. I grabbed this machine to hold us over until the 272 came in (due in today in just shy of five weeks) and it has turned out to be a great machine. I think we'll keep it instead of selling in the fall. Fairly productive and plenty of power with the underrated kawi.

Ferris is1500zx 61/28 - needs the cross cut to spread clippings and clean up the cut. Tons of power compared to the other three but the pre-icd deck lacks suction. Stripes ok - anything looks good with a cross cut.

Super Z 60 fx850 - processes clippings well and can go through pretty quick with passable dispersion. Second pass is mostly to smooth out the cut - which suffers in tall grass at any speed. The 27/31 kawi has plenty of power and I'm not worried about running one on a 72 inch open style deck.

We have two turf tigers that would leave a decent 1 cut finish but the 25 and 27hp kohlers would take as long as two passes with the others and with over 2000 hrs each they don't get used here...

Great info. I appreciate it. Looking forwards to your review/evaluation on the 272.
Old 06-26-2013, 01:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag360 View Post

Enjoyed your comments, what is your most productive mower day in and day out including cross-cutting?

I really enjoy reading information where multiple brands of mowers are run by the same person, this gives a true comparison.
Old 06-26-2013, 02:09 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

The hustler is the most productive by far although scag has been the most trouble free brand for us which factors into productivity.

I should clarify that the little comparison there was specifically on the over fertilized accounts - we don't double cut everything and the pro stance deck leaves the nicest cut on manicured turf dry. I took a special interest in these properties since all the profit is eaten up by double cutting with acreage...
Old 06-26-2013, 02:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

mag360-
is this 272 a purchase or a demo? I believe you said which somewhere on LS, but can't recall.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:24 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Here is a very uneventful, unexciting video of one of our nasty weed infested lawns that got cut short due to the 8GB memory card in my phone running out of space. This is our new 460 with the XF2 deck and 29 efi. You might laugh when you see the customer lmao.

http://youtu.be/X22ackr6-X0
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)
Old 06-26-2013, 05:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProStreetCamaro View Post
Here is a very uneventful, unexciting video of one of our nasty weed infested lawns that got cut short due to the 8GB memory card in my phone running out of space. This is our new 460 with the XF2 deck and 29 efi. You might laugh when you see the customer lmao.

http://youtu.be/X22ackr6-X0
I don't think he likes you, as soon as you turn up he's goone!!

Last edited by greenology; 06-26-2013 at 05:52 PM.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks for posting that PSC.

Man, I thought my Deere had hydro whine, but you can really hear it from those 5400's. Sounds like the R's drop pretty good for a moment when you first turn back into the lawn from the road while you're going back and forth at the far end. Does the engine still feel like it's gaining power over time, or has it plateau'd?

That HO is the perfect example of a helmut head LOL.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
Green-
The FX850 is true rated at 27 HP. The old J1940 system rated it 31, which meant it only had to be within 15% of the label's rated power, and was basically gross HP without an air filter or muffler where the engine had no restriction or load against it. That is the engine in my Z950. It has plenty of power for a 60" deck, and I wouldn't hesitate using one with a 72" deck on my machine unless I had a field of 3' tall grass to mow regularly. The 72" deck is offerd by Deere on a Z950 BTW.
Thanks Ridin! So it hasn't been re tested to give a true reading of 27hp? But due to the way they tested without muffle/air filter nor load, then we are assuming its 27? Which I don't doubt it will be considering that dodgy test!