Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-26-2013, 06:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenology View Post
Thanks Ridin! So it hasn't been re tested to give a true reading of 27hp? But due to the way they tested without muffle/air filter nor load, then we are assuming its 27? Which I don't doubt it will be considering that dodgy test!
No, it is one of their Critical Power engines, which means the 27 HP rating is actual/true, whereas before it was 31 under the old system. Under the old system of J1940, they only had to come withing 15% of the labeled hp to be rated at that number, or in other words, they only had to turn up a minimum of 85% of the label listed HP.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I see, thanks Ridin. Also I think the 36 BB which comes on Ferris 3100, was also rated like this. So its more likely a 31hp.
Old 06-26-2013, 07:00 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

PSC, LMAO!! Your 460 is faster than that moped!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-26-2013, 08:10 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
Thanks for posting that PSC.

Man, I thought my Deere had hydro whine, but you can really hear it from those 5400's. Sounds like the R's drop pretty good for a moment when you first turn back into the lawn from the road while you're going back and forth at the far end. Does the engine still feel like it's gaining power over time, or has it plateau'd?

That HO is the perfect example of a helmut head LOL.
I think the power has reached it's max tbh. The way the efi works is different than the carb engines. Sudden changes seem to drop the rpm on the efi then it climbs back up. It seems to like a steady pace on steep hills for example. Try and increase speed while in the middle of a steep climb and the rpms will drop. Keep the rpm steady and it does not drop.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-26-2013, 08:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Same experience PSC.

Ad in bigger pumps and 22 less cc's and you had my situation with the SuperZ.

Now with the Big Block, if I try to increase speed on a hill, it just pulls a wheel stand and goes.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-26-2013, 08:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProStreetCamaro View Post
I think the power has reached it's max tbh. The way the efi works is different than the carb engines. Sudden changes seem to drop the rpm on the efi then it climbs back up. It seems to like a steady pace on steep hills for example. Try and increase speed while in the middle of a steep climb and the rpms will drop. Keep the rpm steady and it does not drop.
Posted via Mobile Device
EFI does everything in its power to keep the rpms from falling, and recovers much more quickly under load. When you feel or hear the engine drop well below its needed operating rpms, it is saying, I don't have enough hp to fulfill this needed power requirement at this particular time.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
EFI does everything in its power to keep the rpms from falling, and recovers much more quickly under load. When you feel or hear the engine drop well below its needed operating rpms, it is saying, I don't have enough hp to fulfill this needed power requirement at this particular time.

I cut a couple hills that are so steep the nose gets extremely light and it hasn't had a problem with them. It is plenty of power for the 460 but it wouldn't handle a bagger that's for sure. I am tickled with the fuel usage.
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)
Old 06-26-2013, 11:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

PSC, what was that the HO brought out and carried off on the moped? A Gas can? It looked like it anyway. Too funny.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:30 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
PSC, what was that the HO brought out and carried off on the moped? A Gas can? It looked like it anyway. Too funny.

Looks like a red bag with maybe lunch in it? I am starting to wonder if that guy lost his license or something. How can you go from a new lexus IS250 to a moped? He is a nice guy and generally leaves me alone which is how I like it. One year he decided to have tru green treat it and I could have choked his little oriental azz. All they did was pump fertilizer down real heavy all year and everything including the weeds grew like wild fire.
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)
Old 06-26-2013, 11:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I was laughing watching the guy walking around with that helmet on. He reminded me of that old Flinstone cartoon with the little martian guy in the helmet who could only be seen by Fred.

Maybe it was the camera lens or angle, but that looks like a decent sized yard?