Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-23-2013, 05:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Having a wider chute opening should decrease the use of fuel, so I'm wondering if the decrease you believe you are experiencing is due to the added vacume affect from having the front skirt down farther than on your other deck? The tall, thick grass being sorta like holding the palm of you hand over a shop vac hose makes the motor work harder.
Old 05-23-2013, 05:55 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
Having a wider chute opening should decrease the use of fuel, so I'm wondering if the decrease you believe you are experiencing is due to the added vacume affect from having the front skirt down farther than on your other deck? The tall, thick grass being sorta like holding the palm of you hand over a shop vac hose makes the motor work harder.
I agree totally. Didnt expect it to use more power(maybe im crazy). I will have to try it again with the baffels up. My GPH will really tell me if Im right. Also havent compared blades yet. They may be the same or may have more lift?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-23-2013, 09:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
I agree totally. Didnt expect it to use more power(maybe im crazy). I will have to try it again with the baffels up. My GPH will really tell me if Im right. Also havent compared blades yet. They may be the same or may have more lift?
Posted via Mobile Device
I'm curious, and I'm sure others will be, what you find out about this.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:09 AM
LawnSite Member

hey GMLC,

Have u heard or done any testing on the new gravely x factor 2 deck in 60" width? Im curious to see how the 60" performs.

I currently am running a 2010 model pro turn with the x factor 1 60". It cuts very well but sometimes struggles with dandelions and in very wet grass it does seem to load the grass up under the deck and puke it out the discharge in big clumps. this is only in very wet grass though. I am using the factory oem gravely high lift blades.

And also, I was wondering how many you guys mow. the reason I ask is because I have noticed a huge huge difference if I slow down a fuzz. I mow approx. 4-5 mph. (very fast walking speed) Whenever I mow like this is get a amazing cut.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:15 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravelyman50 View Post
hey GMLC,

Have u heard or done any testing on the new gravely x factor 2 deck in 60" width? Im curious to see how the 60" performs.

I currently am running a 2010 model pro turn with the x factor 1 60". It cuts very well but sometimes struggles with dandelions and in very wet grass it does seem to load the grass up under the deck and puke it out the discharge in big clumps. this is only in very wet grass though. I am using the factory oem gravely high lift blades.
Not yet but ProStreetCamaro should have his new 460 next week sometime.

What kind of grass are you cutting? My 52" XF1 didnt have wet grass problems and self cleaned very well.

I mow fast but yes any mower cuts better at slow speeds. Especially this time of year when the grass is stemy and going to seed. In a few weeks it will be over and the grass will thicken and you should be able to speed up. I also find my XF LOVES freshly shapened blades.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by GMLC; 05-24-2013 at 07:21 AM.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:52 AM
LawnSite Member

yeah I agree that stemmy grass is hard to cut. heck you can feel the stems when you walk over them they are so stiff. We cut a lot of fescue and bluegrass around here. some of the grass likes to lay over and is very thin. I don't know about you but when the grass is long but becoming stressed out, (dry) I struggle to get a good cut. but when the grass is nice and tender like after a rain, or even a light dew. the cut is awesome!
Old 05-24-2013, 08:16 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
yeah I agree that stemmy grass is hard to cut. heck you can feel the stems when you walk over them they are so stiff. We cut a lot of fescue and bluegrass around here. some of the grass likes to lay over and is very thin. I don't know about you but when the grass is long but becoming stressed out, (dry) I struggle to get a good cut. but when the grass is nice and tender like after a rain, or even a light dew. the cut is awesome!
We cut the same exact grasses. And yes the XF1 struggles on dry fine fescue. My velocity does too, infact last season most here on LS were having the same issues with most decks. The grass was so dry and limp it was hard to get a clean cut. We will see with the XF2. Things are really wet here now.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-24-2013, 10:41 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
We cut the same exact grasses. And yes the XF1 struggles on dry fine fescue. My velocity does too, infact last season most here on LS were having the same issues with most decks. The grass was so dry and limp it was hard to get a clean cut. We will see with the XF2. Things are really wet here now.
Posted via Mobile Device
GMLC is spot on with this. We were all having a bad time with the cutting last year due to the drought. Here in MI we are smack in the middle of the grass seeding out and being stiff as wire to cut. Give it a couple weeks and we'll be in prime cutting (as long as we get some rain, which we desperately need). Yesterday wasn't even close to enough.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:35 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
hey GMLC,

And also, I was wondering how many you guys mow. the reason I ask is because I have noticed a huge huge difference if I slow down a fuzz. I mow approx. 4-5 mph. (very fast walking speed) Whenever I mow like this is get a amazing cut.

I will let you guys know next week when I get my new machine. I have high hopes for it because the original deck already cuts very good but you are right in soaking wet conditions the 60" will start to hum then puke a clump out. Never requires physical cleaning but it does puke clumps and my hopes are that the wider discharge will help with that along with better dispersal.
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)
Old 05-24-2013, 02:04 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Been raining hard here most of the week. Its getting old mowing in the rain. Had to stop early today because the ground is just getting to soft. But I did try something different. I took off the baffles completely creating essentially a XF1 with a larger discharge. Great soaking wet configuration that totally self cleans! Almost no deck build up.
Posted via Mobile Device