Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-05-2013, 08:28 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
I bet to many people complained about flat spots. They must have changed compounds or even tires. To me 30 seconds of flat spots was quite the fair trade for the ride...
Posted via Mobile Device
I agree! I just showed up to my first large group of lawns. S you guys on the flip side.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-07-2013, 06:47 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

We just had the first 4 day stretch of no or very little rain in over a month! Got my baffles back in the 1" down position and hope to cut some DRY grass this week. I feel Im very lucky to have a deck the cuts great in the rain(baffles off). So many LCO's here are way behind or cleaning up the mess their mowers leave behind. I was at my dealer last week and another LCO saw my machine and asked why I mow in the rain. I said "because I can"!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-07-2013, 09:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
We just had the first 4 day stretch of no or very little rain in over a month! Got my baffles back in the 1" down position and hope to cut some DRY grass this week. I feel Im very lucky to have a deck the cuts great in the rain(baffles off). So many LCO's here are way behind or cleaning up the mess their mowers leave behind. I was at my dealer last week and another LCO saw my machine and asked why I mow in the rain. I said "because I can"!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
I like that answer...I talked with my friend at church this morning, the one that bought a new 260 Pro-Turn last year and had our church buy a new 260 Pro-Turn this spring. I asked him about the cut, and he said as far as he was concerned his 12 yr old 260, and the new 260's gave equally as good a cut.

He has a 27 hp Kohler on the 12 yr old mower, and the Kawasaki FX751V (24.5 hp) engine on the new 260's. I asked him to think real hard and tell me if he noticed any difference in power, and he immediately said he could tell no difference at all.

He made the statement, "I will say one thing, the new mowers did an excellent job on the wet grass I cut this week, and they held those steep road banks on the church property better than I could ever believe" The banks he is talking about are really steep, not that tall, but steep, and even with it being unbelievably wet, he said the mower held on the banks allowing him to cut horizontally back and forth parallel with the slope, which he would have never believed possible.

I told him they were bringing me a new 472 and when it arrived I would call him so he could run it and tell me the differences in his and the new one. He immediately said, I could cut the church property much faster with the 472, not just for the fact of the wider deck, but because I could run faster, whereas the 260 will not allow the available speed, due to the property being so rough.

We've had rain everyday for so long, I can't remember honestly how long it has been. We did not have rain today and I thought maybe we would get through one day without any, but when I left to come home from church a little after 7:00 pm, it rained again for about 20 minutes. I've been farming over 40 yrs and can honestly say I've never seen this much rain for such an extended period of time.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
That is such a funny question. Why wouldn't you mow in the rain or drizzle? This was a rhetorical question and the way I see it is if you can mow and not get backed up, then you can be more productive and happier. I don't mind at all in the rain. I used my in laws toro one day in wet conditions and the a drizzle since I left my equipment at home and all I could do was shake my head. Everywhere from feeling the deck flex, the thickness of handles, ride comfort, to discharge etc. it clumped like crazy and left too many scragglers for me. I was very disgusted and glad I have a quality mower or one that doesn't slow me down when it is a bit wet. I could ask for a bit faster ground speed and better traction on steeper hills though . Oh, I hate crabgrass and clover filled yards!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-11-2013, 10:25 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
You all know how I feel about Gravely's X-Factor deck. IMO its one of the top three decks made. Awesome stripes, super smooth cut and no clumps. It cuts amazing in most all conditions, even wet! My feedback (and obviously many others) to Gravely was if the discharge was just a bit bigger and if it could be fine tuned for different conditions this deck could be the best hands down. Well Gravely did just that!! The new X-Factor II has a three inch larger discharge opening, adjustable front skirts, and even updated stronger spindles!!!

About a month ago I got an email from Gravely asking if I would like to try the new deck!! I said yes send me a demo for a couple weeks during cutting season, they said no we are sending you a new deck for your Pro-Turn 452!!! Once again I was blown away by Gravely's customer service.

Last week I got a call from my dealer saying my new deck is in!! Today I dropped off my mower to have it installed and took some pics. I also found out Gravely sent me a new blower assembly for my bagging system that fits the new larger discharge!!!! Once I start cutting I will be updating this thread with my honest opinion. Enjoy some pics in the meantime.
I dont like that baffle by the discharge shoot, it looks like its blocking the grass from being lifted up to be cut off. Shades of xr7 baffles. I was under the impression the X Factor deck was perfect yet they changed it and everyone is wanting the new deck. Something does not add up. In 2008 the new XF deck I got was not set properly either, and I returned it.

2013 Exmark Pioneer S 60" Ultracut (Review with pics) http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=410996

2010 Badboy Outlaw 6100 31 KAWI

2008 Exmark Lazer Z AS 60" U/C 28 Kawi

2000 Exmark Lazer Z 60" L/C Kawi 4100 + hrs strong
Old 07-11-2013, 10:33 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB View Post
I dont like that baffle by the discharge shoot, it looks like its blocking the grass from being lifted up to be cut off. Shades of xr7 baffles. I was under the impression the X Factor deck was perfect yet they changed it and everyone is wanting the new deck. Something does not add up. In 2008 the new XF deck I got was not set properly either, and I returned it.
No deck is perfect. I never had any problems with the turbo baffle at the discharge or lifting grass. The new deck is just more tunable giving it a wider range. The XF1 is an amazing deck the XF2 just improved the foundation. Everyone wants the newest thing....
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-11-2013, 11:17 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

An example of the range of the XF2. With baffles all the way down there is so much lift Im pulling thatch out of the lawn. With the baffles off I have a wide open deck for wet or tall grass. Anywhere inbetween can be achieved by moving the baffles in that range. I think there was no real reason for the new deck accept continuous improvement. My personal complaints on the XF1 were the discharge was a bit concentrated and in dry fine fesscue I would get a few straglers. The new bigger discharge and adjustable baffles have taken care of those. Not many companies actually listen to there customers...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-11-2013, 10:28 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
An example of the range of the XF2. With baffles all the way down there is so much lift Im pulling thatch out of the lawn. With the baffles off I have a wide open deck for wet or tall grass. Anywhere inbetween can be achieved by moving the baffles in that range. I think there was no real reason for the new deck accept continuous improvement. My personal complaints on the XF1 were the discharge was a bit concentrated and in dry fine fesscue I would get a few straglers. The new bigger discharge and adjustable baffles have taken care of those. Not many companies actually listen to there customers...
Posted via Mobile Device
Do you think this deck would mulch better than the xf1? Also how hard is it to move baffles?

2013 Exmark Pioneer S 60" Ultracut (Review with pics) http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=410996

Old 07-11-2013, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB View Post
Do you think this deck would mulch better than the xf1? Also how hard is it to move baffles?
Baffles move easily. Just loosen the nuts(52" has 5) and move baffles up or down or remove nuts and bolts and take them off(2 min. job). I honestly don't know how it would mulch as no one mulches up here. Its still an open style deck so my gut tells me not as good as a tightly baffled deck. But I cant be sure...sorry.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Baffles move easily. Just loosen the nuts(52" has 5) and move baffles up or down or remove nuts and bolts and take them off(2 min. job). I honestly don't know how it would mulch as no one mulches up here. Its still an open style deck so my tells me not as good as a tightly baffled deck. But I cant be sure...sorry.
Are there any pics of thier mulch kit , I thought the kit was fine on the 1 i had?
The baffles create suction and lift this helps mulching, the cc tank had a front baffle that created a ton of lift on the select cut deck, ill have to research it.