Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-23-2013, 07:11 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I just want to do a small update to the XF2 review. Due to input from Mag360 and Puppypaws the 72" XF2 comes with what looks like lower lift blades(not sure about XF1). This has affected the 72" in wet conditions. Adjusting the baffles helps per Mag360 but the general consensus is high lift blades will do the trick. The 52" and 60" have the high lift blades and cut great in wet conditions per my and PSC's pics. Im sure Mag360 will keep us up to date on the 72" XF2.
Old 07-27-2013, 09:49 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Just want to help those looking for the sweet spot for the adjustable baffles. On my 452 after a ton of testing I have found with the baffles down 1"-1 1/2" it cuts amazing in 99% of my conditions. A quick way to find the sweet spot is to adjust the baffles just below the blade tips when the blades are pointing towards the front of the deck.

I have been running this position for a while now with the best results. Its a great set it and forget it position for wet to dry cutting conditions. The only time I remove the baffles now is in 12"+ tall wet grass.
Old 07-27-2013, 11:07 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
Just want to help those looking for the sweet spot for the adjustable baffles. On my 452 after a ton of testing I have found with the baffles down 1"-1 1/2" it cuts amazing in 99% of my conditions. A quick way to find the sweet spot is to adjust the baffles just below the blade tips when the blades are pointing towards the front of the deck.

I have been running this position for a while now with the best results. Its a great set it and forget it position for wet to dry cutting conditions. The only time I remove the baffles now is in 12"+ tall wet grass.
As the rep and I spoke about concerning your 452, for each foot you add to a deck's width will make it react differently in varied cutting situations, at least that was the consensus. I am asking this question to find out if you believe adding 2' more to your decks size would change what you now see as the best setting for your 52" deck?

You have a great deal more grass for a deck to process when adding two more feet, it seems this would change things considerably, what are your thoughts?
Old 07-27-2013, 11:31 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
As the rep and I spoke about concerning your 452, for each foot you add to a deck's width will make it react differently in varied cutting situations, at least that was the consensus. I am asking this question to find out if you believe adding 2' more to your decks size would change what you now see as the best setting for your 52" deck?

You have a great deal more grass for a deck to process when adding two more feet, it seems this would change things considerably, what are your thoughts?
I would have to try the 72" deck myself to see how it compares to baffle adjustments. I would assume 2' would make a difference but I cant state it as fact until I get my hands on one. PSC's 60" has been just as good as my 52". Not to beat a dead horse but if you had tried some adjustments on your 72" demo we would know for sure. Mag360 has high lifts on his 272 now and is getting great results but is trying to fine tune it as he is getting to much lift now with the baffles on and without the baffles he is getting larger clippings.
Old 07-27-2013, 12:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
I would have to try the 72" deck myself to see how it compares to baffle adjustments. I would assume 2' would make a difference but I cant state it as fact until I get my hands on one. PSC's 60" has been just as good as my 52". Not to beat a dead horse but if you had tried some adjustments on your 72" demo we would know for sure. Mag360 has high lifts on his 272 now and is getting great results but is trying to fine tune it as he is getting to much lift now with the baffles on and without the baffles he is getting larger clippings.
There may be a few things in the workings, but with that being said, our conditions are also changing, it actually dried out a little which cut my mowing time considerably this week.

There is a tremendous amount of rain in my area causing severe flooding as of this very minute, look at the link I provided.

http://www.wsoctv.com/s/weather/inte...e-radar/#at=0&
Old 07-27-2013, 12:50 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
There may be a few things in the workings, but with that being said, our conditions are also changing, it actually dried out a little which cut my mowing time considerably this week.

There is a tremendous amount of rain in my area causing severe flooding as of this very minute, look at the link I provided.

http://www.wsoctv.com/s/weather/inte...e-radar/#at=0&
Wow!! We are still wet as well. I have a few properties that still have standing water. I have never seen spring like growth this late in the season. My recommended sweet spot may not be exact on the 72" but should be in the ballpark. Lowering the baffles will still give you more lift and spread the discharge better. Mag360 will be the expert on the 72". Im confident he will find the right blade and baffle configuration to get the results myself and many others are getting.
Old 07-27-2013, 03:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Wow!! We are still wet as well. I have a few properties that still have standing water. I have never seen spring like growth this late in the season. My recommended sweet spot may not be exact on the 72" but should be in the ballpark. Lowering the baffles will still give you more lift and spread the discharge better. Mag360 will be the expert on the 72". Im confident he will find the right blade and baffle configuration to get the results myself and many others are getting.
They said on the news there were areas just west of us that had 10" of rain since this morning. They showed large sections of roads washed away, along with many bridges, people are having to vacate their homes due to flooding. This has really been a very strange year, with places being as much as 20" ahead on rainfall for this time of year. We've been lucky today, only .8 of an inch has fallen so far.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Member

I just picked up a 460 this morning for a demo run for my first zero turn in quite a few years and WOW! All of my neighbors came over ti check it out and some I haven;t seen in years, lol!. I am not sure if it has the new style deck but I do know I will need to do some adjustments on it when I get my actual unit. I was very impressed with the 31 hp Kawasaki since I had let my grass grow for about a week and a half to see how it would handle and it never went under load even while cutting off 5 inches or more. I am thiking of going with the 72 deck since I see no reason the 31 hp kaw would have any problem handling it. One of my questions is should I go EFI or stay with carb. Also has anyone ever used one of the propane models and what was your opinions?
Old 07-28-2013, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

When you guys talk of the 31hp, your really meaning the "old" 34 arent you? A friend who has that old 34 was told its the same engine as the "old" 37 but with different jets or something. Can anyone confirm this?
Basically, the "new" 31, is the same engine as the "old 37 but with different jets?????
Old 07-28-2013, 10:44 PM
LawnSite Member

I was told that several manufacturers had actually mis rated their motors HP and that the 31 hp is the same as the 34 hp just correctly rated. I could be wrong so let someone else help out on this to be sure.