Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-29-2013, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProStreetCamaro View Post
Being in Florida I bet he is cutting st augistin (spelling?)
I will be interested to see how the Gravely does in Florida. The low lift blades on the 72" may be petfect there? I know Austin Outdoors in Orlando has a huge Gravely fleet and they love the cut.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
I will be interested to see how the Gravely does in Florida. The low lift blades on the 72" may be petfect there? I know Austin Outdoors in Orlando has a huge Gravely fleet and they love the cut.
The only time we run anything close to low lifts would be when we run sand blades in the middle of winter. For the last couple of years I've ran high lift blades all year round on both my Exmark Lazer and Dixie Chopper Classic.

Long clippings pose a problem on Floratam as they just sit on top. One of the nice things I like about my Exmark and Dixie (although not as good as the Exmark but close) is the clipping size, one pass and they disappear in the tall Floratam and Bahia grasses I cut. Even at the heights I cut at 3½" is the lowest I'll cut on some of my Bahia yards, normally Bahia I cut at 4" or 4½" and Floratam I cut at 5". At those heights you really need to run high lift blades.

I will be interested to see how the Gravely does down here.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg78 View Post
The only time we run anything close to low lifts would be when we run sand blades in the middle of winter. For the last couple of years I've ran high lift blades all year round on both my Exmark Lazer and Dixie Chopper Classic.

Long clippings pose a problem on Floratam as they just sit on top. One of the nice things I like about my Exmark and Dixie (although not as good as the Exmark but close) is the clipping size, one pass and they disappear in the tall Floratam and Bahia grasses I cut. Even at the heights I cut at 3½" is the lowest I'll cut on some of my Bahia yards, normally Bahia I cut at 4" or 4½" and Floratam I cut at 5". At those heights you really need to run high lift blades.

I will be interested to see how the Gravely does down here.
Great info! Thanks. We never run low lifts up here either. Guess they must be used somewhere...
Old 07-29-2013, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
Great info! Thanks. We never run low lifts up here either. Guess they must be used somewhere...
Yeah they must be used somewhere. Pretty much all my properties I maintain are irrigated so they don't really dry out to the point I need to run the sand blades anymore.

I'd think with the adjustable baffle on the Gravely you'd be able to lower it enough to get the finer clipping size even if it comes at some the cost of less discharge distance and pattern. I don't think it would be a problem down here. For me clipping size is more important than discharge distance or pattern.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg78 View Post
Yeah they must be used somewhere. Pretty much all my properties I maintain are irrigated so they don't really dry out to the point I need to run the sand blades anymore.

I'd think with the adjustable baffle on the Gravely you'd be able to lower it enough to get the finer clipping size even if it comes at some the cost of less discharge distance and pattern. I don't think it would be a problem down here. For me clipping size is more important than discharge distance or pattern.
I can see why the Exmarks would do very well for you.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
PSC-
I bought one of these tach's that Greg78 mentioned earlier in this thread-
http://www.lawnsite.com/showpost.php...&postcount=616

I mounted it to my 950 and found it was running a little below specs, especially with the blades engaged. I adjusted it up so that now I am just about 3620-30 off load and just about 3580 on load, which is about 110 rpm's more than where it was at on load previously. I'm going to see if there's any difference in QOC over the next week of cutting. It was very easy to mount and I have it right between my choke and throttle knobs so that it is easy to see.
100 rpms makes any mower cut better along with gaining ground speed, let us know what you think when you next give it a try, I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

I had a friend with a Hustler Super Z, 28 efi, and he said the mower felt awfully sluggish, and very slow. I made a cutting pass and felt the rpms were low, I carried a hand-held digital meter, and when I checked, the rpms were at 3480 no-load. I adjusted the rpms to 3700 no load, and you would have thought it was a totally different mower, the cutting was entirely different, and it felt as if the mower picked up 2 mph in ground speed.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
100 rpms makes any mower cut better along with gaining ground speed, let us know what you think when you next give it a try, I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

I had a friend with a Hustler Super Z, 28 efi, and he said the mower felt awfully sluggish, and very slow. I made a cutting pass and felt the rpms were low, I carried a hand-held digital meter, and when I checked, the rpms were at 3480 no-load. I adjusted the rpms to 3700 no load, and you would have thought it was a totally different mower, the cutting was entirely different, and it felt as if the mower picked up 2 mph in ground speed.
I did get a little time on it today, but not much of a challenge as the grass is not growing that fast the last two weeks since we aren't getting that much rain. There's a definite difference in the feel of power when pushing the sticks forward, but as far as the cut difference if any, that I'll know more as the week progresses. It already does pretty well, but I always want better. I am thinking of moving it on up to 3675-3700 off load since it is rare for me to run it at WOT off load, and doing so will get it to around 3625-3650 on load and still at 3600 on load and with the sticks pushed forward.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:09 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
PSC-
I bought one of these tach's that Greg78 mentioned earlier in this thread-
http://www.lawnsite.com/showpost.php...&postcount=616

I mounted it to my 950 and found it was running a little below specs, especially with the blades engaged. I adjusted it up so that now I am just about 3620-30 off load and just about 3580 on load, which is about 110 rpm's more than where it was at on load previously. I'm going to see if there's any difference in QOC over the next week of cutting. It was very easy to mount and I have it right between my choke and throttle knobs so that it is easy to see.
Ahhh what the heck I just went ahead and ordered it. I am interested in seeing what all my machines run at anyway.
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)
Old 07-30-2013, 12:11 AM
LawnSite Member

I have to agree with Greg78 on the low lift blades in Florida and is a concern of mine on the 72. Why would gravely put them on the 72 and not the 60? my plan is to change the blades to a high lift. I was told by the dealer today that a mulch kit might be a good way for me to go since the clippings I saw yesterday while cutting where quite large and just sat on top of the grass, I want a deck that will shred the grass into fine clippings, how do you feel about the mulch kits?
Old 07-30-2013, 12:32 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProStreetCamaro View Post
Ahhh what the heck I just went ahead and ordered it. I am interested in seeing what all my machines run at anyway.
The cool thing is, is that all you need to do is wrap the lead around a plug wire, and attach or hold the ground wire to the frame and run the machine. Then you can take and try it on the next one and so on. I already have the hour meter on the dash, so all I use this gauge for is strictly tach mode. I ordered mine straight from Northern Tool for the same price as in that link. It got here in about 4 days IIRC.