Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-29-2013, 11:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by g8tor38 View Post
I have to agree with Greg78 on the low lift blades in Florida and is a concern of mine on the 72. Why would gravely put them on the 72 and not the 60? my plan is to change the blades to a high lift. I was told by the dealer today that a mulch kit might be a good way for me to go since the clippings I saw yesterday while cutting where quite large and just sat on top of the grass, I want a deck that will shred the grass into fine clippings, how do you feel about the mulch kits?
You may want to consider some Oregon G6's for the 460 or 472 if you go that route, but they aren't for use with a mulch kit. They are for bagging and side discharge only. They work great on most grass types, but especially so on the stiffer grasses and really chop the coarser type blades of grass up well.

For the 472 you may just find that the medium lift blades that come on it are just right for use with the mulch kit. They create a lot less blowout with a closed up deck than high lifts, and IME are way better suited for use with mulch kits. Plus, Most of the grasses in FLA are stiff bladed types that the medium lifts should work just fine on for side discharging.

I don't know your position on JD's, but if you aren't opposed to them, try to demo a 60" MOD deck. They are more tightly baffled than the Exmark UC, but have the wide discharge chute so they work great in wet grass. They chop the snot out of clippings compared to most decks. On top of that, you have the MOD feature for places you need it.
Old 07-30-2013, 05:58 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
I have to agree with Greg78 on the low lift blades in Florida and is a concern of mine on the 72. Why would gravely put them on the 72 and not the 60? my plan is to change the blades to a high lift. I was told by the dealer today that a mulch kit might be a good way for me to go since the clippings I saw yesterday while cutting where quite large and just sat on top of the grass, I want a deck that will shred the grass into fine clippings, how do you feel about the mulch kits?
I honestly dont know why the 72" doesnt come with high lifts? There has to be a reason. You would be one of the first to provide feedback on here about the mulch kit. Due to our conditions we just dont see them up here on any mowers.
Old 07-30-2013, 05:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
I honestly dont know why the 72" doesnt come with high lifts? There has to be a reason. You would be one of the first to provide feedback on here about the mulch kit. Due to our conditions we just dont see them up here on any mowers.
May I ask you how the suspension seat on your Gravely is holding up so far?
Old 07-30-2013, 05:32 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneJessie View Post
May I ask you how the suspension seat on your Gravely is holding up so far?
My air seat has held up great! Still looks new. I did have two rubber isolators tear on the seat platform(nothing to do with the seat). Gravely replaced all 4 under warranty with an updated adjustment procedure on the isolators to eliminate tearing again. So far so good!
Old 07-30-2013, 08:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
I did get a little time on it today, but not much of a challenge as the grass is not growing that fast the last two weeks since we aren't getting that much rain. There's a definite difference in the feel of power when pushing the sticks forward, but as far as the cut difference if any, that I'll know more as the week progresses. It already does pretty well, but I always want better. I am thinking of moving it on up to 3675-3700 off load since it is rare for me to run it at WOT off load, and doing so will get it to around 3625-3650 on load and still at 3600 on load and with the sticks pushed forward.
I doubt you notice much difference with cut appearance, what you will definitely notice is the ease that it moves through heavier grass in comparison.

I saw a first today, a lawn maintenance company with a new JD and Hustler Super Z on the same trailer. I also saw an older Hustler Super Z and older Exmark on the same trailer with another maintenance company.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Well today I bumped it to 3670-80 off load, which is giving me 3610 -20 on load and around 3580 on load and sticks forward. Going up that last 1-150 rpm's from where it came stock will normally make a noticeable difference in QOC since it adds right at 700 FPM to BTS to my 60" deck. I can feel and hear the difference in power too, though none of the grass I have cut so far was any sort of a challenge for it. I will keep tabs on it as the summer and then fall progresses. I've never had a shortage of power with this engine yet for anything including mulching heavy leaves, but there's no doubt that the added rpm's under normal operating conditions will make things that much easier.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:25 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Better keep an eye on oil consumption just in case
Old 07-31-2013, 12:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag360 View Post
Better keep an eye on oil consumption just in case
Yep, been thinking about that already, but there's fairly low hours yet on the machine, and too, it is running just below what Kawi and Deere recommends when it's under load, so again, shouldn't be a problem, but I will keep an eye on everything. I cut in the soaking wet this AM and I could feel the difference and see the cut was even better.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Going Gravely

Well after much debate I ordered me a 472 today. The factory said it should take about a week to get. I can only assume it will have the newly redesigned deck I have read about so much on this forum. I added the light kit since I mow at night a lot, trailer hitch (not sure why) and for a laugh with the neighbors I got the chrome wheel covers, then I asked the dealer to throw in an extra set of blades at which I am telling myself was at no cost to me. So once it arrives I will be back to hopefully give good reviews and ask for some help in dialing in my deck if you guys don't mind giving some advice on it. Until then I will check in daily to see whats new.
Since testing the 460 with the Kawi 31 hp and liking the power it had I can only hope the 72" deck performs just as well behind the 31 hp motor. I am concerned with the lower lift blades I have heard about on the 72 but hope they work out since I would prefer them to the high lifts. I did notice during my demo that the hydro's seemed much quieter than the "used" Hustler I tried out which were loud and whiny. This along with not being able to demo a :new" Hustler to confirm the whiny hydros were due to lack of maintenance or abuse, I went gravely. I search for local hustler and scag dealers and seemed like they were all to far away or didn't carry a 72" in stock (I know, neither did my dealer) but I am just not familiar with the Scag or HUstler so no offense to those that have them. I did own a older gravely promaster 50 years back and loved it so based my decision on what I know first hand, not because one is better than the other, although I really like the air ride seat.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Well after much debate I ordered me a 472 today. The factory said it should take about a week to get. I can only assume it will have the newly redesigned deck I have read about so much on this forum. I added the light kit since I mow at night a lot, trailer hitch (not sure why) and for a laugh with the neighbors I got the chrome wheel covers, then I asked the dealer to throw in an extra set of blades at which I am telling myself was at no cost to me. So once it arrives I will be back to hopefully give good reviews and ask for some help in dialing in my deck if you guys don't mind giving some advice on it. Until then I will check in daily to see whats new.
Since testing the 460 with the Kawi 31 hp and liking the power it had I can only hope the 72" deck performs just as well behind the 31 hp motor. I am concerned with the lower lift blades I have heard about on the 72 but hope they work out since I would prefer them to the high lifts. I did notice during my demo that the hydro's seemed much quieter than the "used" Hustler I tried out which were loud and whiny. This along with not being able to demo a :new" Hustler to confirm the whiny hydros were due to lack of maintenance or abuse, I went gravely. I search for local hustler and scag dealers and seemed like they were all to far away or didn't carry a 72" in stock (I know, neither did my dealer) but I am just not familiar with the Scag or HUstler so no offense to those that have them. I did own a older gravely promaster 50 years back and loved it so based my decision on what I know first hand, not because one is better than the other, although I really like the air ride seat.
Good deal. Let us know how it goes, and maybe post up some pics of cuts made under varying conditions. You can get high lift blades like mag360 picked up for his 272 if you find you need them for any reason.