Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-31-2013, 07:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The new Gravely 472 I ran for a while was sold Saturday, sold to a gentleman that has 2 ac of personal lawn to cut, and that's it. I would say it is virtually impossible to have a problem with any mower when cutting that small amount of grass. He can cut every 4 days if necessary, and in a very short period of time. Like I told my dealer, it's great some people have the money to buy what they want instead of what they need, that was a good sell, he did not keep the mower at his business long at all.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:40 PM
LawnSite Member

I am buying mine for 2.5 acres, and although it is a major investment for just a personal mower, I am putting buying a new truck on the back burner to get it. Before it is all over I may end up in business again to help pay for it. I do hope the other guy got a good deal on his 472 after you were through with it, I couldn't find anyone wanting to deal on them unless they had 300 hours and ragged out.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:41 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g8tor38 View Post
Well after much debate I ordered me a 472 today. The factory said it should take about a week to get. I can only assume it will have the newly redesigned deck I have read about so much on this forum. I added the light kit since I mow at night a lot, trailer hitch (not sure why) and for a laugh with the neighbors I got the chrome wheel covers, then I asked the dealer to throw in an extra set of blades at which I am telling myself was at no cost to me. So once it arrives I will be back to hopefully give good reviews and ask for some help in dialing in my deck if you guys don't mind giving some advice on it. Until then I will check in daily to see whats new.
Since testing the 460 with the Kawi 31 hp and liking the power it had I can only hope the 72" deck performs just as well behind the 31 hp motor. I am concerned with the lower lift blades I have heard about on the 72 but hope they work out since I would prefer them to the high lifts. I did notice during my demo that the hydro's seemed much quieter than the "used" Hustler I tried out which were loud and whiny. This along with not being able to demo a :new" Hustler to confirm the whiny hydros were due to lack of maintenance or abuse, I went gravely. I search for local hustler and scag dealers and seemed like they were all to far away or didn't carry a 72" in stock (I know, neither did my dealer) but I am just not familiar with the Scag or HUstler so no offense to those that have them. I did own a older gravely promaster 50 years back and loved it so based my decision on what I know first hand, not because one is better than the other, although I really like the air ride seat.
Congrats! Keep us up to date. We are always here to help. The baffles are very easy to adjust and it wont take long to get you dialed in. The pitch and level on my 452 was almost perfect from the factory so my guess is yours will be too.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks GMLC, I would appreciate the help. My wife told the neighbor not to get upset if their yard seemed as though it wasn;t growing. Told them she had a feeling I would be mowing the whole neighborhood every three to four days so I didn't have to get off of it, lol. Now all I have to do is clear a space in the shop for it.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by g8tor38 View Post
I am buying mine for 2.5 acres, and although it is a major investment for just a personal mower, I am putting buying a new truck on the back burner to get it. Before it is all over I may end up in business again to help pay for it. I do hope the other guy got a good deal on his 472 after you were through with it, I couldn't find anyone wanting to deal on them unless they had 300 hours and ragged out.
It makes no difference the cost of anything, if you want it and money is no problem, then buy it, we only make this trip once.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:58 PM
LawnSite Member

well said,
Old 08-02-2013, 03:21 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Talk about the wrong mower for the job. This guy is on a scag 36" wb with a velky. Terrible cut quality and he doesnt even know how to cut it. I can envision thousands of small 36" stripes going up and down that hill or even side to side but he cuts in circles. Just figured you guys would get a kick out of this.

2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)
Old 08-04-2013, 09:08 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProStreetCamaro View Post
Talk about the wrong mower for the job. This guy is on a scag 36" wb with a velky. Terrible cut quality and he doesnt even know how to cut it. I can envision thousands of small 36" stripes going up and down that hill or even side to side but he cuts in circles. Just figured you guys would get a kick out of this.

Now there's a homeowner learning a lesson
Old 08-04-2013, 01:03 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag360 View Post
Now there's a homeowner learning a lesson

He has been doing it with that little mower for a couple years maybe more (took pic on my way home). What you see is just a small fraction of that lawn.
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)
Old 08-04-2013, 02:19 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProStreetCamaro View Post
He has been doing it with that little mower for a couple years maybe more (took pic on my way home). What you see is just a small fraction of that lawn.
Maybe the mower replaces gym time and equipment.