Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-27-2013, 02:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProStreetCamaro View Post
Yup this is correct. But I will say the 100 series is no joke. I am back on our 160 for a few days so as to not put any more hours on our 460 for the trade in. I almost forgot how nimble and easy to whip around the 160 is and I enjoy that aspect of the 160. It also made me realize today that the deck on my 460 must not be pitched correctly. I cut deep soaking wet with dew lawns today in one pass clean as can be. The same lawns require double cutting with the 460 in the same conditions. Same exact deck with completely different performance results.

If they put the air ride seat on the 100 series I wouldn't even bother getting anything else. You would have to drop a 100 series off a cliff to tear it up. A 100 series not lasting as long as any other commercial mower is not even something that would cross my mind. At 1600 hours ours still performs as new. I fully expect to get another 1500+ hours out of it. The funny thing is the one and only mower we have ever hated with a passion was the 36" scag walkbehind we used to have. Terrible cut no matter what we did to it. Blade clutch froze up around 500 hours. Hard to start kawashitty. We despised that worthless pos.
I don't understand why dealers can't set-up a deck properly? Our new Dixie Chopper was horribly set up incorrectly as was the deck on an Exmark Lazer I demoed last year.
Old 05-27-2013, 03:21 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Yup this is correct. But I will say the 100 series is no joke. I am back on our 160 for a few days so as to not put any more hours on our 460 for the trade in. I almost forgot how nimble and easy to whip around the 160 is and I enjoy that aspect of the 160. It also made me realize today that the deck on my 460 must not be pitched correctly. I cut deep soaking wet with dew lawns today in one pass clean as can be. The same lawns require double cutting with the 460 in the same conditions. Same exact deck with completely different performance results.

If they put the air ride seat on the 100 series I wouldn't even bother getting anything else. You would have to drop a 100 series off a cliff to tear it up. A 100 series not lasting as long as any other commercial mower is not even something that would cross my mind. At 1600 hours ours still performs as new. I fully expect to get another 1500+ hours out of it. The funny thing is the one and only mower we have ever hated with a passion was the 36" scag walkbehind we used to have. Terrible cut no matter what we did to it. Blade clutch froze up around 500 hours. Hard to start kawashitty. We despised that worthless pos.
I always double check all my decks when I buy new. More often than not I make adjustments. The XF is really easy to adjust. I always wondered why your 460 didnt cut like my 452 in wet conditions. I bet it is off.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-27-2013, 05:49 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
I always double check all my decks when I buy new. More often than not I make adjustments. The XF is really easy to adjust. I always wondered why your 460 didnt cut like my 452 in wet conditions. I bet it is off.
Posted via Mobile Device

I bet it is off also. The dealer told me when I picked it up they set the deck pitch etc etc when they uncrate the mowers so I never bothered to check. The odd thing is after adjusting my 160 the other year to a 1/4" pitch I noticed I got more blow out the front of the deck than before. It got really bad when I tried the G6 blades. To me it looks like my 460 deck is actually pitched backward if you look at it from the side. I should check it before I trade it in so I know if its actually correct or not.

2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)
Old 05-27-2013, 06:03 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
I bet it is off also. The dealer told me when I picked it up they set the deck pitch etc etc when they uncrate the mowers so I never bothered to check. The odd thing is after adjusting my 160 the other year to a 1/4" pitch I noticed I got more blow out the front of the deck than before. It got really bad when I tried the G6 blades. To me it looks like my 460 deck is actually pitched backward if you look at it from the side. I should check it before I trade it in so I know if its actually correct or not.

Somewhere in this thread is how both my decks have been set up. Gravely's manufacturing must be good because both decks were set up just about the same. This should get you in the ballpark.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-27-2013, 06:11 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

That really is a nice looking machine!
Old 05-28-2013, 12:08 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
Yes, compare the Gravely 400 series to get a fair comparison to the Deere 900 and Cheetah. They are all built for stout and will last well.
Maybe my bias against Gravely right now is two fold

1) What I see running out here is the old Gravely's from 5+ years ago that cut like dung. Only lawn schmucks run them it seems like
2) I am having a hard time wrapping my mind around the fact that Gravely has improved that much since then. Are these new machines that much better than those older ones?

Perhaps I just need to demo one and the bias goes away??
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 05-28-2013, 12:24 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA Quality Lawn & YS View Post

1) What I see running out here is the old Gravely's from 5+ years ago that cut like dung. Only lawn schmucks run them it seems like
2) I am having a hard time wrapping my mind around the fact that Gravely has improved that much since then. Are these new machines that much better than those older ones?

I can't answer that for you other than to say that I run a 2012 Z950 if you recall from one of your other threads, but last year I demo'd the new Gravely Pro-Stance with the original X Factor deck. All I can say is that a 460 of some sort will be my next mower unless something really major happens to change my mind on that. They make an excellent machine that cuts beautifully. Gravely treats people the way all companies should, and that goes triple for Deere. I have a shop full of JD machinery, and have run them for a long time- longer than many of the younger guys here have been alive even, but I am done with buying anymore new stuff from them I believe. Gravely's attention to detail, their earnest interest in what their customers say about improvements etc have convinced me that they are where I need to spend my hard earned cash in the future, and you have no idea how big a statement that is coming from me.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:36 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:

It was hard for me at first too. I was a 15 year Scag veteran when I made the switch. Gravely is huge in certain parts of the country and almost unknown in others(like it was here in NH). In 5 years I would say Gravely takes a big chunk of the pie everywhere. The quality and performance are top notch and the customer service and support are second to none. Here is a link to a thread that started it all for me. I know its long but it has a ton of pics and is very detailed.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=375000
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-28-2013, 05:37 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Sorry this lknk you should be able to click on.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=375000
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-28-2013, 06:55 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:

Your right the pre xfactor decks were nothing to write home about. Solid machines but before the xfactor deck came out the cut quality was average at best. We had a pro-50 walkbehind my dad bought new a longggg time ago. In dry conditions it did good but in damp conditions it sucked. Finally sold that mower with like 3200 hours on it and it was still going all be it in rough shape (engine was tired and it needed stripped down and cleaned up and painted).
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)