Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-17-2013, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

In 1993 the back porch of my apartment looked out on the 13th tee of the golf course i was working at. People would park at these apartment's and sneak on to the course by starting on the 13th hole. We had just installed a toro OSMAC control system for the single row irrigation system. There were toro 670 on tee's, 690's in the fairway and 650's around the green's. You could control individual head's with a handheld radio. I got aggravated seeing people sneak on so i started sitting on my back porch with the handheld and right when they were about to hit their tee ball i would turn on the water at the tee, that was fairly discouraging for the golfer, but was usually not enough to make them quit, so i would follow them down the fairway with the rotor's, right when a person was going to hit, i would try to get them wet. If they made it to the green, i would turn on the green as they putted. This was 5 650's at once, and that was usually a good enough soaking to make them quit and leave. I only did this six or seven time's but i thought it was hilarious.

Last edited by agrostis; 05-17-2013 at 10:11 PM.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrostis View Post
In 1993 the back porch of my apartment looked out on the 13th tee of the golf course i was working at. People would park at these apartment's and sneak on to the course by starting on the 13th hole. We had just installed a toro OSMAC control system for the single row irrigation system. There were toro 670 on tee's, 690's in the fairway and 650's around the green's. You could control individual head's with a handheld radio. I got aggravated seeing people sneak on so i started sitting on my back porch with the handheld and right when they were about to hit their tee ball i would turn on the water at the tee, that was fairly discouraging for the golfer, but was usually not enough to make them quit, so i would follow them down the fairway with the rotor's, right when a person was going to hit, i would try to get them wet. If they made it to the green, i would turn on the green as they putted. This was 5 650's at once, and that was usually a good enough soaking to make them quit and leave. I only did this six or seven time's but i thought it was hilarious.
You are a sick and twisted being and i like your style
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-06-2013, 12:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I got in an argument about backflow testing and the reasoning I was told for not needing to have a new backflow tested was that backflows are patented.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:08 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I rolled one down a hill. Can only imagine the look on my face as it barrel rolled over and over.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:17 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AI Inc View Post
I rolled one down a hill. Can only imagine the look on my face as it barrel rolled over and over.
(almost) wishing you were still using the Pipe Piper about then?
Old 06-06-2013, 04:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Nope , walked down the hill . Turned it over , filled with hydro and back to pulling. Still have that 255
Old 06-08-2013, 08:55 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

This wasn't my best moment but it's still a good story. We rebuilt a tee and put a new 2 1/2 inch gasketed line in for three toro 670's. The night after we put the pipe in the ground and put bermuda sod down, the last section of pipe pushed off (because i didn't do a good enough job with the thrust block). This leak wasn't enough to cause a low pressure alarm in the pumphouse so the water kept on flowing. The water from that leak flowed downhill and filled up a empty pool downhill from the tee. The soil around here is red clay, and that red come's from iron oxide, and it cause's permanent stain's. When that pool filled up all the grout around the tile's took on a permanent red color. The cost to re-grout the pool, in excess of $5000. See the illustration.
Attached Images

Old 06-16-2013, 06:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I had a very minor snafu the other day, costing me only some time. System is operated via the Hunter remote control receiver, and I get no 'beep' when the receiver plugs in, and I look for a corroded connection outside. Nothing looks bad, so it's back to the utility room, and a look at the controller connections. Nothing seems wrong there.

Then I look again at the red wire connected to the left-most terminal (AC in) of the SRC, and I recall that terminal is also the system common, and that there is no way the maxed-out control cable was going to have two common wires. (due to distances involved, the remote receiver receptacle is wired to the main control cable in the one valve box, and only one skinny thermostat cable goes back to the controller, and the sensor wire is connected only during service calls)

So I move the red wire to the other (AC in) terminal, and once again there is joy in Mudville, as the receiver now has power.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:58 PM
Banned

Damn the only good story I have got is how to f@#$ the local water authority. I accidentally pulled off a a water meter off of the main supply line(3/4" copper), the dumb@!# water authority could not fix it for 2 days, meanwhile I have 30' geyser shooting up in the air. Client asks me, "is that normal?"... me... oh yeah happens all the time. Anyways, me and the swamp dog get a shark bite(take off the pex plastic... wish I had known this at the time)... and thread a ball valve to the shark bite and WALLAH, problem fixed... thread the meter back on etc. Well this got me thinking... free water???? Well I will shut up now.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWI View Post
Damn the only good story I have got is how to f@#$ the local water authority. I accidentally pulled off a a water meter off of the main supply line(3/4" copper), the dumb@!# water authority could not fix it for 2 days, meanwhile I have 30' geyser shooting up in the air. Client asks me, "is that normal?"... me... oh yeah happens all the time. Anyways, me and the swamp dog get a shark bite(take off the pex plastic... wish I had known this at the time)... and thread a ball valve to the shark bite and WALLAH, problem fixed... thread the meter back on etc. Well this got me thinking... free water???? Well I will shut up now.

LOL @ accidentally pulled off a water meter off the main.