Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-04-2013, 01:37 PM
LawnSite Member

How often does your competition call you for what you charge?

The phone rings from an unknown number wanting dethatching, mowing, tilling garden, fall clean up and snow plowing! I just said thank you have a nice day, as when you ask for individual prices and let it slip that you charge $24.40 for tilling that's not good.
Has anyone else had this?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-04-2013, 05:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

when i get a obvious business call i make up some crazy off the wall things to tell them and give way off prices
Old 05-04-2013, 05:59 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

When I posted an ad on craigslist they called like crazy for aeration pricing. I asked them when they wanted the job done, do they own the house, what was their name and a few other questions. Their wives were the ones calling. When you been in business a long time you know who's who. Most of the time the true customers want it done asap and don't sound so nervous on the phone. Never gave them our price though. They just couldn't make it through our screening process.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm glad none of you fell for this either. I knew something was up as on our Craigslist ads I list the base prices and what they cover, and these days the only place we actively advertise on is c-list as with all the trucks labeled , the phone advertising from yrs back is still on the net also.
The one thing that always tells me some lowballer has arrived is all our business cards we leave in KT, BP and other buliton boards disappear all at once without the phone ringing off the hook. O Well, at least I had 5 legit calls and have 3 new accounts for sure, one maybe and 1 no, not to bad..........
Posted via Mobile Device