Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-04-2013, 05:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Exmark or Ferris

Just moved to a property near KC where I'll have 5 acres of bluegrass/fescue to mow every 5 days or so. Found a dealer who was very helpful and only 15 minutes away and will p/u free for service. He sells both Exmark and Ferris.

I want a commercial grade 60" and am looking at the Exmark Lazer S, LZ 29 HP Kawasaki and the Ferris IS2000 32 HP Briggs Vanguard. Having read opinions here and elsewhere both machines seem to be close in features and price and quality. Dealer is willing to demo on my property. Currently have a 747 JD 54" with only 400 hrs. but want the wider cut and more comfortable seating.

Would appreciate any info on how to decide on these two. The Ferris does have the full suspension but Exmark S also has a premium isolation seat available. John Deere not as popular in this immediate area though I was considering the 950 series previously. Now it seems a choice between the Exmark and Ferris. Appreciate any opinions on how to decide between these two.
Old 05-04-2013, 05:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Get a 72" and you will be happier.
Old 05-04-2013, 05:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You couldnt do any better than a Ferris if your looking for comfort aswell as getting the job done quicker with the same deck size as the exmark. Have you considered the 3100.

Be keen to see how you go.
Old 05-04-2013, 05:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Haven't considered propane and not that familiar with it, probably cheaper to run. Re: the previous post the dealer says he sells very little of the 72" and I have ditch to cut out - think it would scalp and not be as maneuverable.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I can't speak for the Exmark but I love my Ferris 2000 61 inch cut... Deck sticks out for easy trimming and ditch cutting...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-05-2013, 01:32 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmmower View Post
Haven't considered propane and not that familiar with it, probably cheaper to run. Re: the previous post the dealer says he sells very little of the 72" and I have ditch to cut out - think it would scalp and not be as maneuverable.
From your comment, I think you may have misunderstood or are not aware that the 3100 is available in several gas engine models. Larger wheels and tires, a bit heavier built etc. That would be the way to go IMO. If you want to stick with the two machines you listed, go with the Ferris. The Exmark will clump in damp or wet conditions if you ever have to cut in them at all.
Old 05-05-2013, 10:34 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks "green", I'll check out the 3100 - indeed it is here in the catalog. Would that not be overkill for my 5 acres though - some would say even the 2000 might be? Appreciate the comments.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:09 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I know some guys may not consider 5 acres to be all that much to mow, but it is lot of land to mow, especially for a homeonwer who doesn't do it day in and day out, and the larger machine will be more comfortable once you're on it out on your property. The larger machine isn't overkill IMO. It is just a bit more overall than the others and that added weight/mass goes towards longevity of the machine's lifespan generally. It makes for a better ride, and better long term durability. But..... if you have wet spots that tend to stay wet or at least damp, the lighter the machine, the better. If your soil drains well and is basically dry outside of rainy times, the 3100 is one heck of a nice machine, and the Vanguard BB engines are excellent.

BTW- I run a Z950A.
Old 05-05-2013, 12:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The 2000 is a lot better mower than some give it credit for... I think it is plenty for a residential mower and commercial on some applications... You want find to many commercial guys that run a 2000 complain about them... And if I'm not mistaken its only 100 pounds lighter than he 3100... The 2000 61 weights 1200 pounds.... But it feels a lot lighter when running it... For small yards I run the 2000 more than the 3100 becuase it's quick and nimble feeling... On my bigger stuff I run the 3100 becuase it's a tad more productive...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-05-2013, 12:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I used to run both models and honestly the only difference you can feel in them is a slightly better ride with the 3100 because of the full A arm rear suspension, and the 3100 had better hydraulics in my opinion. Maybe that was just my opinion. The 2000 was more nimble though.
Posted via Mobile Device