Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-10-2013, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Member

John Deere 36 used? Good deal?

(The Back Story)I have been looking at quite a few mowers recently. I am still pretty new in the game but I have been wanting to get a better mower. I am mostly looking at walk behinds but was also tempted by one zero turn I came across. I found a few toro prolines with bag and velkie in ok-good shape for around a grand some more some less, a toro timecutter 44 with bagger and vac for 1250 in good shape first. and a few exmarks for around 1600 but that is a lot more than I wanted to spend and they did not come with a bag or anything. All of those mowers were 44 or bigger. Then in last couple days my friend has got me talking to another guys who does lawns and he has a john deere for sale.

(The important part) The john deere 36 belt driver commercial walk behind is $1000 and was used for about 2 years. It has 2 bags metal and cloth and extra blades and a belts. Also he put a 15 hp kohler on it after his son left in setting in some positing that caused it to flood. My question is should I pay that much for a used 36 considering what else is available? I feel its worth it knowing the history of the machine, whats included, and that I run into him every once in a while etc... I just wanted to see what other people thought? Also does anyone know the new price on a jd like this?
Old 05-10-2013, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Member

I test drove the WG36A the other day. If it isn't the same model number, this is the same mower. 36" belt drive walk behind, 16hp Kawi. New price quoted by our JD dealer is $3,099. List price is $3570.

They also have a nice, used (unknown history) looks about a year old hydro with velky for $4100. New price is $5300.
Old 05-11-2013, 01:14 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info. That is around what I figured a new one would cost. Im not sure what the model number was but pretty much same thing except this one at the time came with a kohler stock.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Anyone else want chime in? I plan to purchase in the next few days unless anything comes up that would deter me.