Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-08-2013, 09:21 AM
LawnSite Member

I was looking at trading the 757 for a Z950A but found out the dealer isn't as close as the Exmark and Ferris so started looking at those. How does the Z950 compare to the Exmark and Ferris as to the Lazer S 29 HP and the Ferris 2000 32 HP?
Old 05-08-2013, 12:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I own a 2012 Z950A with the 60" MOD. It is in the same class as the Ferris 3100 and Exmark X series machines. In other words, a step above the 2000 and S series machines. More power than the S series too (27 Actual) I know the Vanguard is rated at 32, but it is still being rated by the old system (BTW- the Vanguard is an excellent engine IMO), so is probably around 27-28 as well. The Exmark must be using and engine that was labeled/rated under the old sytem as well because Kawi doesn't have a 29 under the new system of ratings. It must be the FX801 that was 29, but is more accurately rated at 25.5 now. Keep in mind, all these engine have the same powe r they always did, it's just that the HP numbers were over-inflated before, and now they are accurate. It isn't like you aren't getting the same power or anything of that nature. In reality, you weren't getting the power you thought you were before, but you are now, so all those guys who thought they needed 30 hp to run a 60" deck thought wrong LOL
Old 05-08-2013, 07:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
I own a 2012 Z950A with the 60" MOD. It is in the same class as the Ferris 3100 and Exmark X series machines. In other words, a step above the 2000 and S series machines. More power than the S series too (27 Actual) I know the Vanguard is rated at 32, but it is still being rated by the old system (BTW- the Vanguard is an excellent engine IMO), so is probably around 27-28 as well. The Exmark must be using and engine that was labeled/rated under the old sytem as well because Kawi doesn't have a 29 under the new system of ratings. It must be the FX801 that was 29, but is more accurately rated at 25.5 now. Keep in mind, all these engine have the same powe r they always did, it's just that the HP numbers were over-inflated before, and now they are accurate. It isn't like you aren't getting the same power or anything of that nature. In reality, you weren't getting the power you thought you were before, but you are now, so all those guys who thought they needed 30 hp to run a 60" deck thought wrong LOL
Kawasaki is the one had the lawsuit against them becuase they were over rating them... And they lost it... I would t think that other brands could be over rating there engines and not get in trouble...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-08-2013, 07:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choppin View Post
Kawasaki is the one had the lawsuit against them becuase they were over rating them... And they lost it... I would t think that other brands could be over rating there engines and not get in trouble...
Posted via Mobile Device
All the small mower engine manufacturers were included in the class action lawsuit, Kawasaki was not singled out.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
Kawasaki was the first by far, to get their engines rated correctly. Kohler still has the old ratings listed as being true on their site, but if you read the bottom of the spec pages, the new ratings are down there in small print. B&S has yet to come around. Just loom at the ratings listed. When you see J1940, it is the old sloppy, misleading rating. Some (B&S for one) now say they have been corrected in accordance with J1995 (the new rating), but still show the old HP numbers, so I'm not sure what the heck they are talking about.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
All the small mower engine manufacturers were included in the class action lawsuit, Kawasaki was not singled out.
According to Bad Boy and a Hustler rep they were singled out.... Can't say it's true for sure I'm just repeating what I was told... When we went to Bad Boy they recommend the Vanguard for reliability and power over the Kawasaki... Vanguards HP rating could be off.... But you would think they would have to change them if they weren't legit....
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-08-2013, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
According to Bad Boy and a Hustler rep they were singled out.... Can't say it's true for sure I'm just repeating what I was told... When we went to Bad Boy they recommend the Vanguard for reliability and power over the Kawasaki... Vanguards HP rating could be off.... But you would think they would have to change them if they weren't legit....
Posted via Mobile Device
Whatever Bad Boy and the Hustler rep told you about singling out Kawasaki was totally untrue. I will let you read it for yourself, then you can come back and say they were wrong.

http://www.yourlawyer.com/topics/ove...rsepower_Fraud
Old 05-08-2013, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I can't say there wrong or not I have no for sure proof..... I don't beleive everything on the Internet.... I do know this though... I believe my 32 hp Vanguard has as much power as my 2010 37 DFi... And I have read where a lot of people on here say that the Vanguards have more power than Kawasakis of the same HP....
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-08-2013, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Member

757 leaving lines of cut grass

Getting back to the topic of Exmark Lazer X and Ferris 2000 and comparison to 5 year old JD 757. Today I used the JD to mow grass which was damp but had several days without rain. The JD left a lot of lines of cut grass so wondering if that is function of HP, the mower type, blade sharpness or what? Since I'm looking at the Exmark and Ferris 2000 or even the 3100 was wondering if there would be a difference between the three? The lines of cut grass will require to be picked up or re-mowed when drier.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Dull blades or dull rounded blade tips can leave the strips in the middle of the deck
Posted via Mobile Device