Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-09-2013, 11:37 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choppin View Post
I can't say there wrong or not I have no for sure proof..... I don't beleive everything on the Internet.... I do know this though... I believe my 32 hp Vanguard has as much power as my 2010 37 DFi... And I have read where a lot of people on here say that the Vanguards have more power than Kawasakis of the same HP....
Posted via Mobile Device
You don't need to believe anything on the internet, I can tell you for a fact what they told you is incorrect. I received a check for $300 for about 5 mins. work filling out the requested information on their website. I was sent the lawsuit information by mail, and not only were the engine manufacturers named in the class action, the mower manufacturers were as well. Evidently you've never bought a mower within their listed time-frame, if so you would have received the same information and would be somewhat more knowledgeable on the subject in question.

The 32 Vanguard will feel as powerful as your Kawasaki, and I've compared them side by side in many different conditions.
Old 05-09-2013, 04:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmmower View Post
Getting back to the topic of Exmark Lazer X and Ferris 2000 and comparison to 5 year old JD 757. Today I used the JD to mow grass which was damp but had several days without rain. The JD left a lot of lines of cut grass so wondering if that is function of HP, the mower type, blade sharpness or what? Since I'm looking at the Exmark and Ferris 2000 or even the 3100 was wondering if there would be a difference between the three? The lines of cut grass will require to be picked up or re-mowed when drier.
Not a power issue unless you were bogging badly. It would happen with more power and a different machine too all else equal.

Dull or worn blades incorrectly sharpened are most likely the culprit, but mowing too fast for the conditions will do the same thing. Only so much clippings can come out of the chute at one time, especially when you're moving too fast for the height of the grass and/or the conditions ie; wet/damp.

It sounds as though you may just want an excuse to get a new mower. If so, I can sure appreciate that, believe me, but if you really want answers, try a set of new blades and/or slowing down in tall thick grass before forking over $10-$12K for a different machine. ZTR's are made for cutting and maintaining regularly cut grasses. They're not for bush hog type mowing/cutting, even though some do yeoman work in that capacity.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The ICD deck that is on the Ferris and the Snapper Pro's are amazing decks! ICD deck with the Ferris suspension with the vanguard engine.....Ferris hands down
Old 05-09-2013, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The 2000Z with the 32hp Vanguard is awesome!!!! The ICD has a great cut. The suspension is great and the Vanguard is the best engine on the market. I have yet to perform a warranty claim on the Vangaurd since I started up with Ferris, and that was 5 years ago!!!
Old 05-10-2013, 07:52 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroddy View Post
The 2000Z with the 32hp Vanguard is awesome!!!! The ICD has a great cut. The suspension is great and the Vanguard is the best engine on the market. I have yet to perform a warranty claim on the Vangaurd since I started up with Ferris, and that was 5 years ago!!!
That is amazing to never have a warranty claim on a particular name brand engine in 5 yrs. What would you say about the number of warranty claims on the Ferris mower itself, and is there a pattern of any particular problems with Ferris mowers that you've noticed?
Old 05-10-2013, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Member

I am getting a dealer demo next week of a Ferris 3100 with the 32 hp Vanguard big block. Dealer said a guy bought 2 and wanted the 36 hp Vang big block. I cut 5+ acres of grass and often pretty wet and want to trade up to a 60", comfortable ride, etc. For a few dollars more it seems to me I should get the 36 hp while I'm at it as they are available and I think the Vang big blocks have a good reputation. What are your opinions?
Old 05-10-2013, 08:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Anyone have the optional Ferris suspension seat?

Wondering if the optional suspension seat is worth the extra $$s? Ferris has a good ride anyway and offer a decent seat. But this one is different from the stock IS 3100 seat and looking for input on the difference.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmmower View Post
I am getting a dealer demo next week of a Ferris 3100 with the 32 hp Vanguard big block. Dealer said a guy bought 2 and wanted the 36 hp Vang big block. I cut 5+ acres of grass and often pretty wet and want to trade up to a 60", comfortable ride, etc. For a few dollars more it seems to me I should get the 36 hp while I'm at it as they are available and I think the Vang big blocks have a good reputation. What are your opinions?
I've always been one to buy the highest hp option, I rather be with than without...
Old 05-10-2013, 08:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Agree Puppypaws. Have never regretted more HP in cars or equipment. Think the 36 HP would be better in the wet grass of eastern KS.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

What's the extra cost for suspension seat?
Posted via Mobile Device