Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-04-2013, 09:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Pain in the Butt Customer

I did a estimate for a customer, over the phone, I went to the house without them to look at the job, since its there weekend home. They said that they wanted only 1 yard of mulch around there pool. And then some bushes on the side of there house pruned/ shaped . Nothing in the front, pruned/ shaped.
Today I go there to do the job, I laid the yard of mulch. It really was not enough mulch, the existing weed barrier was sticking up in some areas. It needed a little more in some corners. It didn't look good. I told them that I need to come back with maybe a bag or 2 of mulch, to make it look good, that I couldn't just leave it the way it was. They started to have attitude after that. Like, what is it going to cost me. Even though I said the same price.
And then they pulled a fast one, and then wanted every bush/ plant on there property pruned/ shaped, when they said on the phone only on the side of there house. I did tell them that not what we agreed on . They had a attitude, left without the job being finished. What should I do.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Sounds like they can't afford a "weekend house". Go get what you can. Sounds like you finished what was agreed a pond.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-05-2013, 11:37 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Finish what was agreed upon and send the invoice. File them under "PITA" and either require a written and signed work order before doing any work for them from now on or just politely decline to do any more work for them if asked. It sounds to me like they are penny pinching people and don't like paying what things are worth. If they are more worried about cost than the finished product then I really wouldn't have much use for them.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:55 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Long story short here. I have a contract email or something in writing if it is just a text message. I WILL not do anything without one of these. PERIOD.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I had a very similar situation. Long story short...guy calls to get mulch and weeding. Insists thats all he wants done. I quote it, we got the job, and I showed up on the specified date.

When we showed up, his father came out demanding all types of "extras" he'd like done. I had to show him the email from him son on what his son wanted done. I explained his son contacted me for the job, and I can only do what his son requested. He got mad and called his son. His wife was also trying to squeeze out some freebies from my worker.

The son got home, and was upset. He said he wanted us to do what his mother and father wanted done too.

I explained to him I can do it, but thats not in the original quote I gave. That any extras will cost money.

We ended up only doing what we were contracted to do. Thankfully I had his emails saying what he wanted so I can show his father what was said.

I never accept a job without something in writing...email, letter, something. This prevents things like this from happening.

You can give your customer a quote for the extra work they want done. Do it in a round-about way....they say "We want the shrubs trimmed, etc" and you say back "Sure, I can do that. Let me put a quote together for you". At least then the customer knows they will have to pay for it.

In the future, make sure you have something in writing. It'll help you out a lot!