Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-05-2013, 08:09 AM
LawnSite Member

Am I in the wrong here?

Heres my issue. I have an employee, "Joe" that started working with me June of last season. He was then a junior in highschool and it was a summer gig. I started him at $9.25 for basic labor. Trimming, mulcing, edging, etc. He has never operated a zero turn as I have another guy that does that as he has been for a long time. I valued his work ethic and toward the middle of the season I gave him a raise to $11.00. At the end of the season for leaf cleanups I raised him to $12.50 per hour. Now I think this is huge for him as a highschool kid and really it is his first job. Now this season is here and he has been working a few hours here and there after school at the same rate of $12.50 per hour.

He sent me a text yesterday saying he and his parents were talking and they wanted to discuss his pay before the season got into full swing. Saying things like he knows how much money I am bringing in, which he doesn't and what I am paying out is not fair because I get the majority ofthe money. He said that if it were comission, I would be getting over 80$% of the money on the jobs and thats not fair. I laughed and said I own the company and pay all the expenses. He makes it sound as if he wants it to be a partnership or something. He claims the amont of work he does for the money is not fair as he has friends that work for other companies make $15 per hour and all they do is ride a mower. I told him to take any other opportunity he may have because I am not paying a kid that is a laborer that much. He is going to college in the fall anyway. Oh ya I only gave him a job to help him out as his grandparents are the presidents of a condo asociation I do. They said in the beginning, if it does not work out get rid of him as he needs to learn work lessons as it is his first job. I am torn. I honesly do not think he is worth what I pay him now and he wants more. What to do?
Old 05-05-2013, 08:18 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm with you. Instead of saying "thanks for paying me $5 more than anyone else my age is making"...
Old 05-05-2013, 08:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Am I in the wrong here?

Teach him a work lesson. Don't bite the hand that feeds. Hire a new laborer and put him down the road
Old 05-05-2013, 08:23 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I would give him the boot.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-05-2013, 08:26 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Think you done good, but would of left the kid part off.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:28 AM
LawnSite Member

Gotta love the coddled , participation trophy world we are living in now. It sounds like its time to shove the little fella out of the nest and send him to the world of factory work and restaurants.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:36 AM
LawnSite Member

I did leave the kid part out. I actually said that I can't pay a laborer that kind of money. I am always professional and curdious. Yes he is a very spoiled kid that comes from a lot of money which explains a lot of this. I was introduced to restaurants and factory work very young. I was washing dishes at 14 worked all through school and working in a factory 7 tens for 2 years and mowing when I graduated. Eventually went full time. This is why this bothers me so much. I am glad you all feel the same way and responded so quickly. I will keep you posted. Thanks again.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:51 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like his parents gave him some bad advice, let him go work at mcducks.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:57 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I live around your area in the southeast, and I can tell you right now in this economy, I have grown men with families looking for work and would be happy at 10-12 dollars an hour. They have as much experience as years this kid has been alive. In our area, a guy that does trimming, weed eating ect is worth 10 an hour. If they can drive a truck, mower ect then they are worth 12 an hour. Send him down the road.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-05-2013, 09:14 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

time for a divorce. wow that kid has some nerve. if he can make 15/hr tell him to go for it. i would tell him its been nice but hes gonna have to take his talents to another company because you r no longer in need of a helper