Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-05-2013, 09:20 AM
LawnSite Member

To keep him around any longer is a mistake. He already feels like he is way underpayed. So he will just lower his output and effort to match what he thinks his pay is worth. I would say 99% chance he will turn into a lazy POS slacker very soon.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:31 AM
LawnSite Member

I don't know the full circumstances, but ...
Hiring the "bosses" grandkid? Not a good idea. I would have avoided that in the beginning.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:43 AM
LawnSite Member

bosses grandkid

I have had the account for years and they really like the value they get. I am now thinking it was a mistake, but I was in need of a helper o I gave him a shot. I have seen a decline in his work and almost knew this was coming. I know the writing is on the wall here. I just have to show him statistics and that he is paid higher than average and explain he went about it all wrong.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:46 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Bye Joe! I love the part how he and his parents know all the inner workings and expenses of your business. You were too generous to begin with and he got a swelled head out of it. Wait until he sees the job offers he gets out of college.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-05-2013, 09:47 AM

I would just tell him that this is what the pay is for now. If he wants to look elsewhere, that is fine too. That you will give him a good reference. Just let you know . You give him a deadline for letting you know what he wants to do
Old 05-05-2013, 09:57 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Cut and run
Old 05-05-2013, 10:01 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peapod1125 View Post
I have had the account for years and they really like the value they get. I am now thinking it was a mistake, but I was in need of a helper o I gave him a shot. I have seen a decline in his work and almost knew this was coming. I know the writing is on the wall here. I just have to show him statistics and that he is paid higher than average and explain he went about it all wrong.
You don't need to show him anything or explain anything to him. Business is business and don't let one kid or any person dictate your principals, at that.

Let him go. Just tell him he's no longer needed.
Old 05-05-2013, 10:21 AM
LawnSite Member

Careful now! If the Grandparents are still HOA presidents you may lose the job, blood is thicker you know, and it really doesn't matter if you are right or not. Are you willing to lose this account?

Slightly different perspective here. the guy on the mower is the laborer, the guy doing the trimming, edging etc. is the detail person. Anyone can run a mower, but it requires a different mindset to pay attention to detail, so this person should be worth more than a guy sitting on a mower.

You pay a guy $9.25/hr and by the end of the season you have given him a 30% raise???? Are you out of your mind????? And now he wants more, and you are surprised

So let me ask, what has he done that would warrant him getting paid more, what new skills does he bring to the table that would justify another raise (and as an aside, what aditional skills did he provide to gain that original 30%)?

Here's my take, tell him you need someone for the entire season and since he is going to college in August, you'll be happy to keep him on for odd jobs at his current pay. If he doesn't want that suggest he go somewhere else. Meantime talk to the grandparent and explain you will be needing a full timer, but will utilize him part time until he goes to school, if he so desires. When you hire someone at minimum wage provide incentives or bonuses for work well done (a gift certificate for a movie or dinner is cheaper than a pay raise). Do not give pay raises unless the individual contributes more value to you.

Old 05-05-2013, 12:06 PM
LawnSite Member

I would talk to the grandparents and let them know before he does.
Old 05-05-2013, 12:27 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have made the same mistake in the past. You want to show appreciation of a good employee but not too much to give them a big head. I'm sure he's a smart guy and probably way above average smarts then a normal laborer. He knows that and at times I'm sure you may take advantage of that. Which as a employer is what you should do. It's just too bad you didn't get this summer worth of work out of him since you trained him last year. Some suggestions.

Post a ad on craigslist for $10 to $12 per hour. I'm guessing you will get a bunch of responses pretty quick. With talking with him mention that you posted a ad and got xx responses. That shows him that people are willing to work at those rates. Now he may say something like he knows your accounts, doesn't need training, etc. But throw back that is because you invested in him. Talk to him about how tight this market is and supply and demand dictate what we can pay out.

I would mention something to the grand parents if you talk to them on a normal basis and have a good relationship. Mention the % of raises last year and that he wants more while the market only allows so much.

I would also hire a replacement and start training. Keeping them somewhat apart (if the older employee is toxic) and that might change his tune also. When he see's you moving on and lessening his hours he may start really looking and finding he doesn't have it so bad.

Honestly my guess is dad found him a job at the golf course or somewhere else to try to get more money for him. $12.50/hr for a 18 yr old is good money.