Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-05-2013, 12:38 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I brought a new guy in. his work ethic made the old guy want to quit about the same time I fired him. same pay too!
Old 05-05-2013, 12:56 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I would hire someone else and let him go. Employees talking about what they think I make is out of line no way in hell I would forgive that. My profit if any isn't his concern and all equipment purchases are made with what is considered profit so if I do not have one I will soon be out of business because my equipment can not be kept indefinitely.

Now I do things a bit differently then most here, I do let the employees know some of my expenses. They come in and say they need a raise I'll toss them a 2-5k AMX bill for last month's fuel and supplies and say sure just pay that for me first would ya. I do not think we do the potential next generation of landscaping business owners any favors by shielding them from the realities of this trade. When I was younger I looked around and saw the money and ignored many of the costs. I wasn't as bad as the rest of the guys that worked with me some of those clowns actually thought the boss had hundreds of thousands of dollars hidden under his mattress and his checks only bounced because he thought it was funny.

If the kid is too stupid to realize your paying him for all the hours he produces and all the hours he does nothing then he has 0 future in anything other than a job for someone else. Your paying for lunch your paying for drive time your paying when the job goes south and your working longer than you can bill for. Your paying for mower maintenance your paying for sharpening blades your paying for greasing the mower and working on your 2 cycle equipment. Your paying for setting up your trucks and trailers for cleaning them out for washing them for fixing tires for welding broken parts back on. Your paying for his bathroom brakes his snacks his smoking habits your paying for his cell phone addictions your paying for him to talk to his co workers and joke around. The truth is if your billing him out for 75% of the time you pay him for your actually doing pretty good.

Say your billing him out at 40-60 an hours a guy at 12.50 an hour costs me 20% more with all the extras. Taxes fees WC you name it. So he is already at 15 an hour not including over time which blows that to over 22 an hour total costs. Then you have the hours you cannot bill for which conservatively will be 10 hours a week and you quickly can see there is very little margin in there anyways. And we haven't even touched on the fact you got to cover all the insurance the repairs the rent the phones the postage the advertizing the you name it it eats a massive amount of your total sales.

I love dealing with businesses in this trade because they are the only ones that have a freaking clue what we do and what we face. The kid sounds like a punk let him go to collage broke.
Old 05-05-2013, 01:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peapod1125 View Post
Saying things like he knows how much money I am bringing in, which he doesn't and what I am paying out is not fair because I get the majority ofthe money. He said that if it were comission, I would be getting over 80$% of the money on the jobs and thats not fair. I laughed and said I own the company and pay all the expenses. He makes it sound as if he wants it to be a partnership or something.
I had a similar situation and fired the guy no questions asked.

Ask this kid if he is gonna scrutinise McDs financials when he goes to work for them? To me what he and his parents done is down right disrepectful. I wouldn't even talk to the kid about it but I damn sure would talk with his dad and let him know what bad advise he gave his kid and why I fired him.

Scag mowers
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
www.ClarksvilleLawnCare.us

"Always do your best. What you plant now, you will harvest later."
-Og Mandino
Old 05-05-2013, 09:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'm simply amazed by what people think is acceptable behavior in the business world. I apprenticed in a union truck shop in my teens and learned early on if your not the guy in charge you do what you're told and keep your mouth shut. The ones I saw get promoted did just that.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-05-2013, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Hitting the nail on the head my friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly's Landscaping View Post
I would hire someone else and let him go. Employees talking about what they think I make is out of line no way in hell I would forgive that. My profit if any isn't his concern and all equipment purchases are made with what is considered profit so if I do not have one I will soon be out of business because my equipment can not be kept indefinitely.

Now I do things a bit differently then most here, I do let the employees know some of my expenses. They come in and say they need a raise I'll toss them a 2-5k AMX bill for last month's fuel and supplies and say sure just pay that for me first would ya. I do not think we do the potential next generation of landscaping business owners any favors by shielding them from the realities of this trade. When I was younger I looked around and saw the money and ignored many of the costs. I wasn't as bad as the rest of the guys that worked with me some of those clowns actually thought the boss had hundreds of thousands of dollars hidden under his mattress and his checks only bounced because he thought it was funny.

If the kid is too stupid to realize your paying him for all the hours he produces and all the hours he does nothing then he has 0 future in anything other than a job for someone else. Your paying for lunch your paying for drive time your paying when the job goes south and your working longer than you can bill for. Your paying for mower maintenance your paying for sharpening blades your paying for greasing the mower and working on your 2 cycle equipment. Your paying for setting up your trucks and trailers for cleaning them out for washing them for fixing tires for welding broken parts back on. Your paying for his bathroom brakes his snacks his smoking habits your paying for his cell phone addictions your paying for him to talk to his co workers and joke around. The truth is if your billing him out for 75% of the time you pay him for your actually doing pretty good.

Say your billing him out at 40-60 an hours a guy at 12.50 an hour costs me 20% more with all the extras. Taxes fees WC you name it. So he is already at 15 an hour not including over time which blows that to over 22 an hour total costs. Then you have the hours you cannot bill for which conservatively will be 10 hours a week and you quickly can see there is very little margin in there anyways. And we haven't even touched on the fact you got to cover all the insurance the repairs the rent the phones the postage the advertizing the you name it it eats a massive amount of your total sales.

I love dealing with businesses in this trade because they are the only ones that have a freaking clue what we do and what we face. The kid sounds like a punk let him go to collage broke.
This is exactly why I almost lost it when he said it was not fair I got so much of money the jobs pay. He is clueless. I am going to talk with his grandparents tomorrow. We are on a very personal basis and they were self employed for years and years. The grandpa and I often share "employee" stories. Thanks for the help. I worked in Elmsford for years when I was in the corporate world. Hows the economy there? Thanks again.
Old 05-05-2013, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

He gets a $3.25 increase in ONE SEASON and he's crying the blues?

Most places out there in the real world set a max of 2-3% for annual reviews that result in pay increases. That usually comes out to PENNIES, not dollars.

Give him more work to do and no more money.
Old 05-05-2013, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles View Post
i would just tell him that this is what the pay is for now. If he wants to look elsewhere, that is fine too. That you will give him a good reference. Just let you know . You give him a deadline for letting you know what he wants to do
do this! End of story
Old 05-06-2013, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like the kid might have been caught up in some May Day discussions about "workers rights" and now he wants a bigger piece of the pie. Tell him he's a free agent
Husqvarna 223L Trimmer
Husqvarna 326LS Trimmer
Husqvarna 580BTS Blower
Husqvarna BT150 Blower
Kawasaki KHDS600 Hedge Trimmer
Toro Multi-Tool
RedMax BM46i Backpack Sprayer
Carry On 5.5 x 10 Open Trailer
2004 Toyota Tacoma

The next time someone complains about your pricing, ask them how much their barber would charge to come over and cut their hair.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Fire him and see how long it takes him to get a job at $15p/h
Scag VRIDE
Scag Rider
Stihl BR600's
Stihl wackers/hedge trimmers
Little Wonder Vac/Walk behind blower
Old 05-06-2013, 09:56 PM
Sponsor

I suspect your in business to earn a profit after expenses. This employee may in time learn that greedy pigs sooner rather than later end up slaughtered. His first lesson should be by you sacking him and wishing him the best.
IMO, you were more than generous with his wages. Both of you can learn from this experience, who learns first and puts that knowledge to practical use remains to be seen.
easy-lift guy