Go Back   LawnSite.comô - Lawn Care & Landscaping Business Forum, Discuss News & Reviews > Sponsor Forums - Discuss with Sponsors Directly > Lawn Mowing Equipment & Accessories * * * * SPONSOR FORUMS > Hustler Turf Equip
User Name
Password
Home Products Find a Dealer News About Us Contact Us Mark Forums Read

Hustler Turf Equip Lawn Mowers & Turf Care Equipment

Old 05-05-2013, 01:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Fuel Tank Problem - 2011 Super Z

Hello, I bought a 2011 Super Z late summer in 2012 from a Nokesville, VA Hustler dealer, that (Jim) sold as his personal mower having 16hrs on it. He told me it has the full Hustler warranty, so I bought it. He charged me for delivery, and delivered it empty on fuel. This was my first sign of making a mistake, but a shiny new machine with false statements won me over, so it is what it is. I filled it up 1/2 full in each tank and started mowing. Left tank nearly gone, I switched to right, and it died shortly thereafter. I verified the valve was good, will not start, checked the fuel line and it was dry. I went back to the left, a bit of cranking to get fuel back into the lines and carb and it started up. Back to the left and it died again shortly thereafter. Fuel line is dry again. I called Jim, told him the issue, he told me to run off the left tank, he never used the right tank himself and one tank is all you really need. WTF, this is a nearly new machine, it has two tanks, both tanks should work, and it should be a warranty issue! So he said to bring it in for them to look at, but if I want the warranty, I need to pay the transfer fee. WTF-2, when I bought it from you, you said it had a full warranty, no mention of an extra fee to transfer the warranty. He said this is no different than if you buy a used car, and it's only $120 to do the transfer, no big deal. Well it is to me as you are seemingly nickel and dime-ing me since the purchase. First the delivery fee, delivered empty on fuel, and now this. Even used, I still paid near $10K for this unit. I could have bought a new SCAG TT with free delivery, and free pick-up and delivery for servicing too. So I never took it in, never talked to Jim again, ended that summer with 40hrs on the Super Z. Now I am in summer 2, have about 65 hours on it at this time, and I am really unhappy that it only has one (left) working fuel tank. The FX1000V gulps fuel and running on one tank means more time lost to stop and fill it. I also ran it out of fuel a couple of times not paying close attention, a good hike back to get fuel really torqued me further on this issue. Also, the left tank developed an issue where the line holding the fuel cap gets twisted up and caught where it barely comes off the tank, meaning I have to play with that for more lost time at nearly every fill-up now. So, my question, can a Hustler rep on this site respond to me with positive news to resolve my issue before I turn completely sour on Hustler, sell it as-is and go buy something else (preferably DFI or Diesel based on the fuel this large twin uses). Thanks.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:50 PM
Sponsor

We can do the dirty laundry later, let's first fix your issue..
I have seen the fuel line jump around in the tank and land on the shelf of the tank so even though there is fuel in the tank the pick tube is above it. Take a flasklight and look into the tank and look for the fuel line. If you have issues with that, fill the faulty tank all the way and let me know what happens.

Brian O
Old 05-08-2013, 03:57 AM
LawnSite Member

Fuel Tank Issue

Hello Brian, thank you for the reply. I looked inside the right tank with a flashlight and saw nothing, so took fuel connection fitting off the top of the tank to see if the line was wrapped up or something. I ruined the rubber grommet in the process (so will see if I can get a new one now), and found nothing hooked up to the fitting, meaning whatever hooks up to it is in the tank somewhere. So, I then took the tank off to see if I could get a better look or hear parts bouncing around inside the tank. I cannot see anything, but I hear pieces moving around as I tilt and move it up and down. I cannot get them to come out the fuel cap opening. So I may fill it with water to see if they float to the top or come out with the water flow. This mower is used for personal use on my property, so I won't get to it until the weekend. If you have some other course of action for me to try first, let me know. Thank you. //Craig
Old 05-08-2013, 01:44 PM
Sponsor

Well, I'm thinking you pulled the EPA vapor capturing hose. This line collects the vapors from the top of the tank and either puts them through a carbon canister or burns the vapors through the carb. Your discription it doesn't sound like the fuel line.
If you trace the fuel line from the fuel shut off valve to the tank that will give you the line you need to check. You must repair the vapor line prior to using that tank.
Sometimes, if you fill the tank too fast with fuel the rushing gas will raise the fuel line up onto the ledge and you'll run out of gas even though there is fuel in the tank. That is what I hoped to find out by you filling the tank. You might have fixed that issue when you removed the tank and shaking it.
Please repair the damage to the vent and re assemble.

Brian O
Old 05-08-2013, 04:55 PM
Sponsor

I believe you fixed the problem by taking off the tank and shaking it. I would re install the tank and put fuel in it. Just to be sure, tank the tank and with the back up wiggle it, then re install. this will make sure the pick up tube it at the bottom of the tank.

Brian O
Old 05-08-2013, 05:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Black Rubber Grommet on Fuel Vent fitting

Quote:
Originally Posted by hustlermidwest View Post
I believe you fixed the problem by taking off the tank and shaking it. I would re install the tank and put fuel in it. Just to be sure, tank the tank and with the back up wiggle it, then re install. this will make sure the pick up tube it at the bottom of the tank.

Brian O
Okay, well if I have to order that grommet, it will be awhile, but thanks for your help. Much appreciated. //Craig
Old 05-08-2013, 05:24 PM
Sponsor

good chance your dealer will have that vent in stock, or at least get it fast.

Brian O
Old 05-11-2013, 03:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you have a black rubber grommet on the vent piece Brian is talking about, your mower never received the vuel vent update. If your 2011 Super Z falls in the serial # range, this is a mandatory update, so take it to any Hustler dealer to get it done. I believe your problem with the fuel not pulling from the tank is from the string from the fuel cap wrapping around your fuel pick=up and cutting off the fuel supply. Have seen this a few times. If so, pickup needs to be changed, and the updated fuel caps need to be installed to stop this from happening. Also have them check if your mower is subject to the wheel motor backing plate bolt check. Some brake backing plates bolts were missing washers, and Hustler is having us pull the drums and check them. These are all warranyt/updat items I speak of. I think two of them are SB504 and SB505. Good luck!!
Old 05-17-2013, 10:47 AM
LawnSite Member

Super Z Issues - Thank You for Your Posting

Thank you for your posting! You just covered a couple of known issues for me that are noted in my OP (1) RH fuel tank 1/2 full and fails to feed fuel, and (2) the fuel cap strings getting tangled making it difficult to remove the fuel caps. I was not aware of the the possible washer issue at the rear brake drums. I called the local Hustler dealer to order the rollover valve and grommet (pn: 603158, $12 plus tax) ealier this morning, then saw your post and called the dealer back to ask them about these issues. Prior to this I had not mentioned what mower I had, just the part I needed. So the parts guy asked which mower I had this time, then told me to bring it in and they will see if they can get to it sometime next week. He seemed rushed to get off the phone, but I will ask about the fuel caps and washers when I take it in. Given their uncertainty of when they can get to it, I probably won't get it to them until I return from a vacation mid to late June time frame (I don't want it sitting outside in the elements during my absense, I always garage it when not in use), plus they may charge me storage if it sits there too long. I want/need to take care of this myself given I never transferred the warranty due to issues noted in my OP, so I will likely have to navigate this can of worms when I take it in for the work. I need these issues fixed, so will see what happens and post my results in late JUN, early JUL. Thanks.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:53 AM
Sponsor

Thanks for sharing those points Sharpcut, I know you are real busy and it's always nice to see your input.
If you could only fix the Red Wings... Go Blackhawks!

Brian O